Troubleshooting Toolkit: How to retrieve network errors
01-16-2018 01:46 - last edited on 01-16-2018 02:06 by jennysowyrda
Sometimes you will come across an error on a page that is not quite specific enough and leaves you looking for more information on what could be incorrect or not functioning properly. You may, for example, see an image like this:
- Open Chrome to the page you are experiencing errors on.
- Right click on the page and click ‘Inspect’. You can also use the keyboard shortcuts Press Ctrl + Shift + J (Windows / Linux) or Command + Option + J (Mac).
- Navigate to the ‘Console’ tab.
- Reproduce the error you were experiencing.
The console tab will log any errors or warnings that appear on the page. For example, if a resource fails to load on the page, you will often find the error for this in the console.
- Navigate to the network tab.
- Reload the page with the errors.
- Click into the error and go to the ‘headers’, ‘previews’, and ‘response’ tab to get even more information on the error.
Most errors and failed resources are highlighted in red, so capture any of those highlighted red texts in the console and network tabs and send those along to Support in your ticket!
You can also collect a HAR file from the network tab. For directions on collecting this file, click here.
For more information on the Chrome console, please see here.
If you have any questions during this process, please post your questions in the Blog, Website, & Page Publishing board.