Reporting & Analytics

MarComEB
Participant

LinkedIn Reporting Discrepancies

SOLVE

Is it common to have discrepancies between what HubSpot reports and what LinkedIn reports? We have one post that was reported to have had 49 clicks according to HubSpot, but when I checked our analytics in LinkedIn, it only appeared to have 4 clicks. I've had discrepancies between HubSpot/social channels before, but it's usually the other way around (fewer clicks reported in HubSpot than on the channel). Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
sharonlicari
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @MarComEB 

Usually, a social network is measuring the number of clicks on the link in the social post. HubSpot is measuring the number of clicks to the shortened hubs.ly or bit.ly link. This difference is where discrepancies could arise.  The social networks have their own rules for the measurement of clicks. For example, if one person clicks on a hubs.ly link multiple times in a short period of time, HubSpot will usually be able to combine those clicks into one reported click to avoid inflated click numbers.  The social networks will also treat multiple clicks in a short period of time as duplicates, only counting them as a single click in their reporting. The problem is we don't know exactly how the networks define "a short period of time" as compared to our definition this because there isn't any documentation where we can find social media definitions about this.

I hope this helps. 

Thank you

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
sharonlicari
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @MarComEB 

Usually, a social network is measuring the number of clicks on the link in the social post. HubSpot is measuring the number of clicks to the shortened hubs.ly or bit.ly link. This difference is where discrepancies could arise.  The social networks have their own rules for the measurement of clicks. For example, if one person clicks on a hubs.ly link multiple times in a short period of time, HubSpot will usually be able to combine those clicks into one reported click to avoid inflated click numbers.  The social networks will also treat multiple clicks in a short period of time as duplicates, only counting them as a single click in their reporting. The problem is we don't know exactly how the networks define "a short period of time" as compared to our definition this because there isn't any documentation where we can find social media definitions about this.

I hope this helps. 

Thank you

Sharon

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes