`hs project dev` cannot connect to a project

Hi,

I encountered similiar issue to this one. I am trying to develop a HubSpot extension, but HubSpot’s CLI command `hs project dev` doesn’t seem to be working for me. After setting up the project and uploading it to my account, I run `hs project dev` and the following window opens:

The extension is installed in the account. While trying to find a solution, I also noticed that running `hs project dev` without the extension being installed prompts you to install it. However, when I do it this way, the command gets stuck in an infinite loop waiting for the extension to be installed.
Installing the extension using `hs project dev`:

I’m not sure if the problem is related.

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Hey, @JanHranicky :waving_hand: Were you able to make progress? If not, please let me know and we can try to tag in some of our community experts. — Jaycee

Hey, @Jaycee_Lewis. Unfortunately no, did not make any progress on this :saluting_face:

Hi @JanHranicky and thank you so much for reaching out and for your prompt reply!

One thing worth checking first is the browser permission prompt that appears when you run hs project dev. Make sure your browser allows the request from app.hubspot.com, as blocking or dismissing that prompt can prevent the local development session from connecting.

I’d also make sure you’re using the latest HubSpot CLI and that the project directory is linked to the correct HubSpot account. Current CLI versions use global authentication with directory-level account linking, so hs account current can help confirm which account your project is using.

If hs project dev appears to be waiting for the app to install even though you’ve already installed it, you can also run hs project app-install-status to check the app’s installation state.

Here are some resources for more information:

To ensure you have the best support, I’d love to bring in our amazing experts. Hi @Anton, @RSchweighart and @SteveHTM do you have any tips or guidance to assist @JanHranicky further, please?

Wishing everyone a wonderful day, and thank you all so much for your help!
Bérangère

Moderator Note: this post was reviewed for relevancy and optimized for clarity on September 29, 2026. Thank you for your contributions to the HubSpot Community!

Hi all, I’m running into the same issue with hs project dev not connecting to the project. I’m on a Debian 13 LXC container with Node.js 22, and I can’t see any obvious error why the HubSpot CLI isn’t establishing the connection. Here’s what I’ve checked so far:
• Node.js v22 (supported according to the CLI docs)
• Latest HubSpot CLI installed (hs --version confirms it)
• The project is already installed in my HubSpot account
• Auth (hs auth) is completed and linked to the correct account
Yet hs project dev still won’t connect or stays stuck. Does anyone have new suggestions or specific checks I should try (e.g., firewall/WebSocket issues, project config in hsproject.json, CLI vs platform version mismatches)?
Thanks a lot!
Soren

Hi Soren,
I managed to solve my issue by allowing permission for `app.hubspot.com` in my browser. There should be a popup first time you run `hs project dev`, which then never appears again. If you ignore it, there’s a good chance you’ll get stuck.
There is a warning in the docs I found after solving my issue about this popup :sweat_smile: Projects and sandboxes CLI reference - HubSpot docs

Try checking/allowing the permission and pray it works :sweat_smile:
Gl,
Jan

Hi Jan,

thank you for your answer.
I´m using firefox .. maybe thats the reason? Or do i need a local installation?

Thank you all for your help.
Found a solution .. If you’re running the CLI inside a container, VM, or remote development environment, also check that the ports required by your local development setup are accessible from your browser. Container networking or port forwarding can prevent the local development session from connecting even when the project and authentication are configured correctly.

It needs a port-mapping: 5173:127.0.0.1:5173 -L 8080:127.0.0.1:8080 -L 35177:127.0.0.1:35177’
Then its possible to use an LXC

Finally, check the platformVersion in hsproject.json. Projects should be using a supported version such as 2025.2 or 2026.03.

Hope that could helps others with same problems ..

best reg.
Soren

Moderator Note: this post was reviewed for relevancy and optimized for clarity on September 29, 2026. Thank you for your contributions to the HubSpot Community!