I’d like to know if there’s a way to set up webhook failure notifications. Or if there’s some way to retrieve webhook log data through the HubSpot API.
Hi @ZSpl,
Thank you for reaching out!
I wanted to invite our subject matter experts to see if they have any advice.
Hi @LMeert, @ChrisoKlepke, @Teun - Do you have any insight for @ZSpl?
Thank you!
Best,
Kristen
Hi @ZSpl,
So there’s a way to do it but it depends how technical you want to get to accomplish that within HubSpot.
This 2021 post seems to indicate that webhooks in HubSpot are not meant to be bi-directionnal, meaning you won’t be able to use the response from a webhook further in your scenario.
This is true UNLESS you’re ready to use custom coded actions (which should be avaialable to you if you have acess to webhooks already.
As you can see in the screenshot above :
- I’ve set up a webhook response with an “error” equal to true (not really necessary since by defaut the output contains three fields :
- hs_execution_state
- hs_status_code
- hs_server_response
- I’ve run a test webhook and could select the fields from the body of the response to be used later in the workflow
- I’ve then added a custom code module and as you can see, I can select either one of the three default outputs or the custom selected “error”.
Then it’s just a matter of using the custom code to send youself a notification of failure and maybe even include the details that lead to that => you could use the HubSpot tasks API for example and assign yourselft a task so you receive a notification.
If you don’t want to use custom coding in the workflows, there’s also one other solution but I like it less as it will prove to be less consistent + you won’t really know what went wrong.
I still include it in case you don’t want to rely on custom coding and you’re using a third party automation software like make or Zapier.
- create a helper field on the object that will be at the start of the workflow
- at the start of your workflow set a specific value on that field (that you choose arbitrarily)
- run your webhook
- your webhook will start whatever process you choose to host externally, add a step in that process to remove the value you set at the beginning
- at the end of your workflow, divide it into two branches :
1. the helper field is empty => this means your webhook worked
2. the helper field still contains the arbitrary value you set up at the beginning => this means your webhook failed
Hope this helps !
If it does, please consider marking this answer as a solution ![]()
Best,
Ludwig
Thank you, this is really informative.
This addresses the question when it involves using webhooks in workflows, but I was looking for a way to get notifications from subscription-based webhooks. Sorry for the confusion. I was responding to a post about webhooks in workflows, and I should have made my own post.
Do you happen to know if there is any way to do something similar for webhooks set up to run when Contact properties are changed?
Based on your information, I could set up a workflow to trigger when a property is changed, send a webhook, and have the custom code check for an error, but I’d rather not do that.
Hi @ZSpl,
I don’t think HubSpot provides a way to get notified in case of notification failure for subscription-based webhooks.
However, HubSpot does part of the error handling and retries for up to 10 times within a 24h period as mentionned in the documentation.
@TZiesing, to get additionnal properties to reuse after executing your webhook you’ll have to test it out :
If you test it, and you have set up your server to respond with additionnal fields, you’ll be able to select them as the output of the webhook action.
Hope this helps !
If it does, please consider marking this answer as a solution ![]()
Best,
Ludwig
HI @LMeert Great solution. Not sure How you got the error property in the dropdown? May you provide some details? Thx


