Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

JRobertshaw
Contributor

Reassigning Tasks Automatically

SOLVE

Hi All, 

We have a situation where one contact owner might either be on leave or has a too large workload and needs to assign a new opportunity to a new owner, which is pretty straight forward. 

However when a new opportunity is created in our deal pipeline it automatically creates a task for the original owner to contact the client. It would be good to create a workflow where if the contact owner is changed the task is also reassigned to the new owner. 

Does anyone have a solution for this? 

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JRobertshaw,

At this stage, tasks cannot be enrolled in workflows, which means that it's not possible to automatically assign tasks from one user to another.

Luckily, there is an option to bulk update multiple tasks to a new owner. Navigate to Menu > Sales > Tasks and select the user under "No assignee":

karstenkoehler_0-1639027963011.png

Once this filter is active, select all tasks:

karstenkoehler_1-1639027991579.png

Click Edit, select Assignee and choose who the tasks should now be assigned to:

karstenkoehler_2-1639028027493.png

There isn't any out-of-the-box option to re-assign these tasks to the new owners of the deals. You could review your deal-based workflow that is creating the tasks and whether you could set up re-enrollment: You could add "Deal owner is known" as an enrollment trigger and active re-enrollment based on that criterion.

HubSpot interprets "known" as "has changed", too, so the deals would re-enroll once the owner changes and the tasks would be created anew. You could then find the old owner's tasks and delete them.

(The workflow can of course only be change if it's only creating tasks, not if there is any other automation happening that you do not want to repeat, e.g. internal or external notifications.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
KarryCBB
Contributor

SOLVE

GREAT news everyone! There's a new integration called "Task Assistant" and it actually works! You have to build one workflow and when a contact owner is changed, all previous tasks get assigned to the new contact owner. 

https://app.hubspot.com/ecosystem/134337/marketplace/apps/sales/crm/task-assistant

0 Upvotes
KarryCBB
Contributor

SOLVE

I desperately need this function as our company does a ton of lead swaps at the 100 day mark.  Please help!

jxlio
Contributor

SOLVE

Personally, I set up an automation thru Airtable and Zapier to do this, it's a major workaround, but it essentially recreates the task and assigns it to the new owner, then deletes the original task. Airtable holds a backup so nothing is lost. If this gets reply gets 50 upvotes, I will write out a tutorial and publish it on Medium or something.

DHill5
Participant

SOLVE

Definitley a capability that is sorely needed. Kind of ridiculus that no one considered the need to align task ownership with lead ownershp. 

AStretten
Participant

SOLVE

Again, why is this not a default option. We have 12 users with 1500 task and its poor planning that you cannot reallocate a task when the owner of a contact changes. Please get this sorted asap

DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @AStretten hope you are doing well.

I understand that this could be very beneficial, that's why I want to encourage you to vote for the idea, this way it would have more chances to be implemented in the future. You can also follow the threat of the idea, so you will receive the updated status.

Best, 

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

ErikStromness
Participant

SOLVE

This is a workaround but it is not a solution. Capability to do mass task reassignment within a workflow needs to be created. 

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JRobertshaw,

At this stage, tasks cannot be enrolled in workflows, which means that it's not possible to automatically assign tasks from one user to another.

Luckily, there is an option to bulk update multiple tasks to a new owner. Navigate to Menu > Sales > Tasks and select the user under "No assignee":

karstenkoehler_0-1639027963011.png

Once this filter is active, select all tasks:

karstenkoehler_1-1639027991579.png

Click Edit, select Assignee and choose who the tasks should now be assigned to:

karstenkoehler_2-1639028027493.png

There isn't any out-of-the-box option to re-assign these tasks to the new owners of the deals. You could review your deal-based workflow that is creating the tasks and whether you could set up re-enrollment: You could add "Deal owner is known" as an enrollment trigger and active re-enrollment based on that criterion.

HubSpot interprets "known" as "has changed", too, so the deals would re-enroll once the owner changes and the tasks would be created anew. You could then find the old owner's tasks and delete them.

(The workflow can of course only be change if it's only creating tasks, not if there is any other automation happening that you do not want to repeat, e.g. internal or external notifications.)

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

OShushan

SOLVE

Hi Karsten, 

A company that I work with imported calls to HubSpot. The issue is that all of them are not assigned to the SDR who made the calls. How can I update the "Activity Assigned to"  to the right SDR? 

Thanks 

Ohad

0 Upvotes