Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Marie_
Contributor

Lead Pooling

SOLVE

Hi everyone

I am looking to set up a Lead Pool to move any old, cold or uncontacted leads into so my sales team can pick them up when they need extra leads to work. For context, we have a well-structured, regionally based lead allocation workflow in place but I'm wanting to implement a solution to take leads from poor sales performers or leads they give up on and give another consultant an opportunity. 

Just wondering if anyone has created a similar structure and what process you use to give access to the sales team. I was thinking I'd use automations to remove them from a current owner and make them unassigned butI have some specific concerns:

-how do I stop one consultant taking all the leads in the pool?

-how do I segment the lead pool from other unassigned leads that I don't want in the lead pool?

-what notification routine works best? daily, weekly? can I automate that?

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!

Marie

1 Accepted solution
jolle
Solution
Recognized Expert | Partner

Lead Pooling

SOLVE

Hey @Marie_, thanks for reaching out! This is an awesome question.

There are definitely different ways you can go about accomplishing this, but I would try and pull the following leads into your unengaged lead pool:

• Anyone who filled out any form but isn't being actively worked (no associated deal, "Last contacted" is unknown or more than 3 months ago)
  • Any closed/lost contacts with a closed/lost reason that's still marketable (i.e., bad timing, ghosted)
  • Any unowned prospect contacts
  • Any contacts associated with deals that have been sitting in the same stage for 3+ months
  • Any unworked/unowned leads that hit a target lead score
  • Any contacts older than 1 month that have never been contacted (no marketing emails and/or no sales emails)

I usually build lists like these heavily focused on engagement properties ("Last activity date," "Next activity date," "Time of last session," "Last marketing email click date," "Recent sales email click date," "Number of times contacted," "Number of sales activities," etc.). I also usually add the "Create date" filter for at least 3 months ago so I don't accidentally pull in new contacts who just haven't been contacted yet. The activity property layers help ensure that you're not pulling in other unassigned contacts (but ask yourself if it would hurt for those contacts to be reached out to again or if there are other plans to re-engage them in the future).

You can build those out in multiple lists, then have a combined master list that pulls in contacts on any of those lists. Membership on that master list will be the enrollment criteria for your workflow. Like you said, that workflow can clear the "Contact owner" property and maybe update "Lead status" or something like that to "Cold outreach" to clearly distinguish these contacts in your database. 

From there, you could look at rotating leads between your reps (assuming you have Sales Professional or above) so that eligible contacts would be reassigned equally (though you do risk having a contact assigned back to the same owner).

I definitely understand the concern about one sales rep taking ownership of all of these leads. You also don't want to have all of your reps contacting the same person. Maybe this is something that you can review on a case-by-case basis for manual assignment. I think that you should try warming up these leads before you send them back to the sales team though!

If you have your workflow criteria set to enroll those unengaged leads, you're just a couple of steps away from configuring a warm-up email drip. You can send 5-10 emails over the course of a few months just to see if any of those leads end up re-engaging. Keep them laid back and full of content offers, and focus on providing upfront value. You can always include a secondary CTA to schedule a meeting or get in touch with the sales team, so the lead will select that option if they're ready. 

From there, you'll probably be able to boil down your list of unengaged contacts to a handful of re-engaged, ready-to-go leads that can be manually assigned to the sales team. 

The sales team will need to understand that a contact will fall into the "unengaged" bucket only if they aren't contacted for an extended period of time. It should come as no surprise to the sales team if a contact is pulled from them! Maybe you could build lists/views/dashbaord reports for each rep to show them their owned contacts who are getting close to unengaged status (that might reduce your number of unengaged leads in general).

That's how I would set this up! You let HubSpot do a ton of work for you and the sales time, then they'll help you identify the unengaged contacts who are expressing interest again. This setup also acts as a failsafe so that you never have contacts who go uncontacted after a set period of time. Even if contacts slip through the cracks for the sales team, you have HubSpot automation ready to catch them.

Hope this helps!! Interested to hear how the rest of the Community would approach this 🙂

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
jolle
Solution

Lead Pooling

SOLVE

Hey @Marie_, thanks for reaching out! This is an awesome question.

There are definitely different ways you can go about accomplishing this, but I would try and pull the following leads into your unengaged lead pool:

• Anyone who filled out any form but isn't being actively worked (no associated deal, "Last contacted" is unknown or more than 3 months ago)
  • Any closed/lost contacts with a closed/lost reason that's still marketable (i.e., bad timing, ghosted)
  • Any unowned prospect contacts
  • Any contacts associated with deals that have been sitting in the same stage for 3+ months
  • Any unworked/unowned leads that hit a target lead score
  • Any contacts older than 1 month that have never been contacted (no marketing emails and/or no sales emails)

I usually build lists like these heavily focused on engagement properties ("Last activity date," "Next activity date," "Time of last session," "Last marketing email click date," "Recent sales email click date," "Number of times contacted," "Number of sales activities," etc.). I also usually add the "Create date" filter for at least 3 months ago so I don't accidentally pull in new contacts who just haven't been contacted yet. The activity property layers help ensure that you're not pulling in other unassigned contacts (but ask yourself if it would hurt for those contacts to be reached out to again or if there are other plans to re-engage them in the future).

You can build those out in multiple lists, then have a combined master list that pulls in contacts on any of those lists. Membership on that master list will be the enrollment criteria for your workflow. Like you said, that workflow can clear the "Contact owner" property and maybe update "Lead status" or something like that to "Cold outreach" to clearly distinguish these contacts in your database. 

From there, you could look at rotating leads between your reps (assuming you have Sales Professional or above) so that eligible contacts would be reassigned equally (though you do risk having a contact assigned back to the same owner).

I definitely understand the concern about one sales rep taking ownership of all of these leads. You also don't want to have all of your reps contacting the same person. Maybe this is something that you can review on a case-by-case basis for manual assignment. I think that you should try warming up these leads before you send them back to the sales team though!

If you have your workflow criteria set to enroll those unengaged leads, you're just a couple of steps away from configuring a warm-up email drip. You can send 5-10 emails over the course of a few months just to see if any of those leads end up re-engaging. Keep them laid back and full of content offers, and focus on providing upfront value. You can always include a secondary CTA to schedule a meeting or get in touch with the sales team, so the lead will select that option if they're ready. 

From there, you'll probably be able to boil down your list of unengaged contacts to a handful of re-engaged, ready-to-go leads that can be manually assigned to the sales team. 

The sales team will need to understand that a contact will fall into the "unengaged" bucket only if they aren't contacted for an extended period of time. It should come as no surprise to the sales team if a contact is pulled from them! Maybe you could build lists/views/dashbaord reports for each rep to show them their owned contacts who are getting close to unengaged status (that might reduce your number of unengaged leads in general).

That's how I would set this up! You let HubSpot do a ton of work for you and the sales time, then they'll help you identify the unengaged contacts who are expressing interest again. This setup also acts as a failsafe so that you never have contacts who go uncontacted after a set period of time. Even if contacts slip through the cracks for the sales team, you have HubSpot automation ready to catch them.

Hope this helps!! Interested to hear how the rest of the Community would approach this 🙂

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
Marie_
Contributor

Lead Pooling

SOLVE

Hi Jacob

Thanks so much for your detailed response. There are some really great tips there and some good considerations as well. 

I like the list idea and possibly the manual allocation initially.  You're 100% right about developing the structure to minimise the quantity of unengaged contacts. Thay way, everyone's a winner!

Thanks again. Really appreciate your input.

Marie

0 Upvotes