Reporting & Analytics

Bar
Participant

Analytics for form views

SOLVE

Is there a way to see analytics of form views and not just submissions? I have forms that are viewed in different pages and I would like to see on what page they were viewed. Is that possible?

1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

Analytics for form views

SOLVE

Q: Is there a way to see analytics of form views and not just submissions? I have forms that are viewed in different pages and I would like to see on what page they were viewed. Is that possible??

Short A: Forms views analytics on a per page basis is not built-in HubSpot functionality.

Longer A:

A clunky workaround to see forms views analytics per page would be to clone a separate form instance for each page on which you NEED to see separate form views stats. While this is certainly not a very scalable solution, it is the fastest/easiest way to get to your objective -- form views per page.

Another approach would be to use a form as part of the overall page content that is specific to the intended audience visiting the page. In this case, each unique form on each unique page is an opportunity to collect information that may not be collected elsewhere. From this perspective it's most appropriate to use a separate form for each page ... even if the forms are nearly identical. Seems counterintuitive, but it works.

Another added benefit to using separate forms for each page is the ability to adjust smart form functionality that personalizes the experience appropriately for the specific page visitor. Smart form functionality can quickly become complex when trying to stretch across too many non-related pages.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
codeandtonichq
Contributor

Analytics for form views

SOLVE

Yes. This is possible & easy. 

Each form added to a web site send a message with type: 'hsFormCallback' and eventName: 'onFormReady'

We can listen for those messages and send that to Google Analytics as an event.  I've written a blog post which has a code you can copy-paste. 

Other replies to this thread are not very good solutions however it's possible that the easy way I showed in my blog post was not possible back in 2018 🙂

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

Analytics for form views

SOLVE

Q: Is there a way to see analytics of form views and not just submissions? I have forms that are viewed in different pages and I would like to see on what page they were viewed. Is that possible??

Short A: Forms views analytics on a per page basis is not built-in HubSpot functionality.

Longer A:

A clunky workaround to see forms views analytics per page would be to clone a separate form instance for each page on which you NEED to see separate form views stats. While this is certainly not a very scalable solution, it is the fastest/easiest way to get to your objective -- form views per page.

Another approach would be to use a form as part of the overall page content that is specific to the intended audience visiting the page. In this case, each unique form on each unique page is an opportunity to collect information that may not be collected elsewhere. From this perspective it's most appropriate to use a separate form for each page ... even if the forms are nearly identical. Seems counterintuitive, but it works.

Another added benefit to using separate forms for each page is the ability to adjust smart form functionality that personalizes the experience appropriately for the specific page visitor. Smart form functionality can quickly become complex when trying to stretch across too many non-related pages.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
Bar
Participant

Analytics for form views

SOLVE

Thanks for your full answer.

I was thinking that creating CTA's through Hubspot will also do the trick. If I create a different CTA's for each button on my website that might work as well and i will be able to see clicks analytics. 

What do you think of this solution?

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Analytics for form views

SOLVE

>>I was thinking that creating CTA's through Hubspot will also do the trick. If I create a different CTA's for each button on my website that might work as well and i will be able to see clicks analytics.

Yeah. We like to use HubSpot analytics for HubSpot assets whenever possible, so using what might otherwise seem like duplicate CTAs is our 'norm'. This is especially true since we can uniquely name those entities in HubSpot very easily.

Examples:

- CTA BTN - Request A Demo - Header

- CTA BTN - Request A Demo - Footer

- CTA BTN - Request A Demo - LP Holiday (4-July) Campaign 2017

- CTA BTN - Request A Demo - LP Holiday (4-July) Campaign 2018

- CTA BTN - Request A Demo - Sidebar Contact Us

- CTA BTN - Request A Demo - Sidebar Blog

The naming convention becomes more important as you scale-up since the obvious downside to this method is the potential for mistakes when editing multiple CTAs. Also, each CTA can't belong to more than one HubSpot campaign, so we need a comprehensive way to group the work in HubSpot that doesn't rely on campaign association. Other than that, works like a charm and the analytics are a breeze to read which makes them all the more accessible.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
Bar
Participant

Analytics for form views

SOLVE

>>>>Also, CTAs can't belong to more than one HubSpot campaign, so we need a comprehensive way to group the work in HubSpot that doesn't rely on campaign association.

What do you mean by this? I just made two different CTA's and each one of them belongs to a different campaign. Is this not going to work? 

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

Analytics for form views

SOLVE

Sorry, I've reworded that to read "...each CTA can't belong to more than one HubSpot campaign..."

Explained

Typically, we're comparing CTA performance within the same campaign to see where the conversion opportunities are (aka: low conversion points). However, in the case where we're cloning the exact same CTA for use across multiple pages we'd tend to associate each cloned CTA with a different campaign related to the page it lives on -- just like you did. (btw - good job)

However, once we associate each cloned CTA with a different campaign it becomes virtually impossible to group those CTAs together on one screen in HubSpot unless we name them smartly/similarly. This comes into play when we'd like to compare CTA performance across pages without having to perform Chrome tab-gymnastics.

So, "...we need a comprehensive way to group the [CTAs] in HubSpot that doesn't rely on campaign association." -- i.e., we group them by name.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes