APIs & Integrations

SGA-EST

Timeline Events vs Custom Behavioral Events?

SOLVE

My questions are:

1. What is the difference between timeline events and custom behavioral events?

2. When do you use which?

3. What are the pros and cos of either?

I cannot see if I need to upgrade to Marketing Enterprise to do the following our through Custom Behavioral Events, or if it enough to create an app and use timeline events.

I am currently researching how to integrate usage information from our SaaS app with Hubspot. This is information such as

1. Logins

2. Failed Logins

3. Onboarding Completed

4. Search for entities

5. Interaction with map

6. Creating filters

7. Creating lists

We want to use this information to gauge which free trials we need to focus on for our sales department and which paid customers we need to focus on for our customer service department.

We need to be able to enroll contacts into workflows and send emails/create tasks based on this information

We would also like to be able to display usage statistics in our reporting tool.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
coldrickjack
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @SGA-EST,

It's a great question and something I've been asked before, I've included a breakdown of the key differences below but also TLDR: You can use timeline events but will miss out in terms of reporting not to mention having to configure them is much more complicated. 

Timeline Events:

• Available on all tiers
  • A little more complex to setup - requires registering an app and going through the oAuth flow
  • Cannot be used for reporting within HubSpot
  • Can be used for list segmentation and workflow enrollment
  • Can only be triggered on the server side

Custom Behavioural Events:

• Exclusive to Marketing Hub Enterprise
  • Can be triggered client side using Tracking Code API or server side using Custom Events HTTP API
  • Can be used for reporting purposes (Attribution Reporting, Custom Event Funnels)

I'd be inclined to think that Custom Behavioural Events would be better suited to your use cases. For instance you could create custom event funnel reports to identify the users which "Setup a Free Trial", "Completed Onboarding Step X, Y Z" and "Upgraded to a paid plan" or did not upgrade in which case you could reach out to them as needed. Also, Custom Behavioural Events are much easier to implement in my experience and can provide lots of useful insights. Of course it does come at a cost - you have to upgrade to Marketing Hub Enterprise but you also get access to other enterprise features like:

• Adaptive page testing
  • Hierarchical teams
  • Custom Objects
  • Increased limits 
  • Email Send Frequency Cap
  • Multitouch Revenue Attribution

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
coldrickjack
Solution
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @SGA-EST,

It's a great question and something I've been asked before, I've included a breakdown of the key differences below but also TLDR: You can use timeline events but will miss out in terms of reporting not to mention having to configure them is much more complicated. 

Timeline Events:

• Available on all tiers
  • A little more complex to setup - requires registering an app and going through the oAuth flow
  • Cannot be used for reporting within HubSpot
  • Can only be triggered on the server side

Custom Behavioural Events:

• Exclusive to Marketing Hub Enterprise
  • Can be triggered client side using Tracking Code API or server side using Custom Events HTTP API
  • Can be used for reporting purposes (Attribution Reporting, Custom Event Funnels)

I'd be inclined to think that Custom Behavioural Events would be better suited to your use cases. For instance you could create custom event funnel reports to identify the users which "Setup a Free Trial", "Completed Onboarding Step X, Y Z" and "Upgraded to a paid plan" or did not upgrade in which case you could reach out to them as needed. Also, Custom Behavioural Events are much easier to implement in my experience and can provide lots of useful insights. Of course it does come at a cost - you have to upgrade to Marketing Hub Enterprise but you also get access to other enterprise features like:

• Adaptive page testing
  • Hierarchical teams
  • Custom Objects
  • Increased limits 
  • Email Send Frequency Cap
  • Multitouch Revenue Attribution

SGA-EST

SOLVE

Thanks for the overview!

0 Upvotes