⚙ Operations Hub

katherineladue
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

Data Sync Setting Lifecycle Stage

Yet another issue I'm facing with a Data Sync integration!

When it forces you to set a lifecycle stage for contacts as a part of the sync rules, I see that it says it will assign the lifecycle stage when contacts are created *or updated* by the integration.

Does it change their lifecycle stage each time they are *updated* and each time they re-sync across the integration? It's so unclear what's going to happen when I select a lifecycle stage to set, and there's no way to turn the setting off. Anyone know how to deal with this? 

Edited to add that I asked HS support this question but they didn't know the answer.

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
RDavies5

This integration does update the lifecycle stage of existing contacts, unfortunately. Did anyone find a way round this? 

0 Upvotes
jbogaert
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

Hi @katherineladue,

Thanks for your feedback.

The way Data Sync works is that it will indeed set the lifecycle stage when creating a brand new contact. The only time it'll update the lifecycle stage is when the lifecycle stage is lower than what you need to be. Data Sync will not "demote" or reset the lifecycle stage every time there is an update in the other app. That wouldn't make sense to do.

I understand that the phrasing is ambiguous so I've forwarded your feedback to our Data Sync team to see if it can be improved.

0 Upvotes
katherineladue

Thanks! So my biggest concern is for the initial sync of all existing contacts from another app. We are unable to map the lifecycle stage field even with Ops Hub Starter because it's a dropdown field, right?

So if we have people syncing over for the very first time and it's a mixed bag of all different lifecycle stages, they'll all just automatically have to be the same stage when they first appear in HubSpot and we'll have to figure out some other way to update their lifecycle stage on the HS side, and it won't change them back at all?

0 Upvotes
jbogaert
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

Yes, that's my understanding as well.

When new contacts are created in HubSpot through data sync, they'll be given a default lifecycle stage - because indeed lifecycle stages cannot be mapped yet. 

When contacts are put in sync that already existed in HubSpot, their lifecycle stage will remain as is. Data sync won't demote, reset or change them in any way.

Feel free to test this out on some sample records or a subset of your database if you want to be 100% sure.

0 Upvotes