Using rich text conditionally

Hi all,

I read that the rich text property cannot be used in conditional logic. Has anyone found a way to get around that? I have a drop-down field that asks a student for their grade. If they choose one grade, I would like to show them text about that grade. If they chose another grade, I would like to show them different text about that grade and so on.

Many thanks,

Kim

Hi @KRRussell! Welcome to the Community-- happy to have you here :blush:

To clarify, are you looking to add different pre-set rich text phrases based on the grade selected on a HubSpot form?

For example, if someone chooses ‘A’ on a form, they would then see a prompt describing that grade. I just want to be sure I understand your goal before we dive in!

Please let me know if I did not understand your questions or if you need additional clarification! I am eager to solve this with you.

Best,
Kennedy

Hi Kennedy! You have described it exactly.

Glad to hear we are aligned!

HubSpot just dropped a new Forms editor Beta that could achieve this. I will say that depending on how many options you have to choose from, the form logic could get a bit complex, but I think in your case, the grades are likely limited enough to set this up.

The new forms editor is outlined in detail in this Knowledge Base article. In short, you would want to create a drop-down menu for the grades on Step 1 of the form and a separate step for each grade. Based on their selection on the first step, you can skip steps to land on the step coordinating with the grade. Then, you can add rich text to each step of the form and that can be where the description lives.

Here is an example I set up in my own account:

You will need to make a new step for each grade and duplicate the logic for each grade, but this would be the closest we could get!

Give it a try and feel free to reach back out if you get stuck!

What a needlessly complicated “solution”. Having to use separate steps in order to show text is an awful user experience.

It’s simply toggling visibility of a field -- we should be able to do the same thing with a rich text field as can be done with any of the actual input fields connected to properties. If X, hide/show Y. Hubspot failing once again to provide basic UI functionality.

I NEED this feature. NinjaForms and Gravity Forms both tools I use with WordPress has the ability to show richtext fields (including images in them) conditionally. I need to be able to show text to users based on their form field selections. Ideally Headings would be available for conditionals, too. This is a big weakness of the forms editor.

That looked good at first but I have hit a snag. The example above works for grade B, which has skipped over grade A, but if you go to grade A how do you stop it form then having to go through grades B, C, D etc? The only solution I can see is that you would need to have field on each page and then apply logic to make it ‘no matter what the answer skip to submit’. And this only works if you have a field, not if you just want to show information prior to the submit step.

Hi @SarahX and thanks for sharing your feedback with the HubSpot Community!
I’ve noticed a similar idea already present in our Ideas Forum: “New Form Editor - Conditional Logic should apply for headers/rich text, not just properties”.
To contribute, you can upvote the existing idea and share more details about your specific use case in the comments.
I have also added my upvote!
Thank you and have a wonderful day! :sun_with_face:
Bérangère

Thank you! I have upvoted the idea.