Using HubSpot for Customer Success

SOLVE
JenBerenguer
HubSpot Employee
I was recently working on a demo to present at a Customer Success Conference and realized that it's not always clear to our users the potential that HubSpot has to be used in a Customer Success Strategy, so here are some thoughts I wanted to share this week:

1- If you don't have a Customer Success Strategy, you need one
Combine a few factors like acquisition getting harder (and more expensive) and consumers not trusting businesses anymore, and you'll see that your existing customers are your best growth opportunity.

2- What does that even mean for Customer Success?
Focusing on Customer Success is about anticipating their challenges and questions and addressing those before they become a problem. So the key to a good Success strategy is information.

3- How can HubSpot help?
  • Starting on the most important part, you'll have your CRM - that's the core functionality to keep all the information about your customers. 
  • You'll then be able to leverage automation, and make sure nothing falls through the cracks when it comes to your customers and that you don't get overloaded with admin tasks.
  • Then finally, you'll keep the alignment between what you're marketing to your existing clients, your up-sell and cross-sell opportunities and your stellar service, providing a delightful end-to-end experience.

4- What does that look like in the tool?
  • Keep the comms going (but do track them) - Whether or not you have a dedicated Success team, engaging with your clients is a big factor to make them stay. Things like enrolling customers in sequences, tracking email exchange with the sales plug-in and using your meeting link will help you track those 1-to-1 interactions.  
  • Keep your Marketing going too and look for signs of opportunities - Are your customers clicking on CTAs, joining webinars, downloading new assets or even visiting some of your upgrade pages? Score them points, put them on lists or simply trigger internal notifications to explore these opportunities.
  • You can have a dedicated pipeline for renewals to work proactively on closing a new contract and use custom properties to measure achieved milestones. Tracking the level of stickiness was also a great idea suggested here at the community
  • Measure their sentiment - Use NPS surveys to get their feedback around your service, and act on them to improve bad experiences. You can also evaluate the number of tickets open and closed on a given time to search for product vulnerabilities.
  • Track the success of your Success team - Use reports and dedicated dashboards to show renewals won, NPS results, up-selling/cross-selling open deals, etc.
I hope this is helpful to set the scene on HubSpot for CS, but I'd love to hear how you're using HubSpot for customer Success too. 🙂
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Dan1
Solution
Top Contributor

Hi @JenBerenguer , 

Great points!! 

I used to head up a CS team back in 2017 and 2018 for another software company and we were big HubSpot Sales and Marketing users. I set up a renewals pipeline, which worked well with customer quarterly reviews, to make sure we didn't miss a beat. 

This post is a little dated but the workflows I put together still apply: 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Tips-Tricks-Best-Practices/How-to-handle-renewals-in-your-deal-pipe...

I hope this helps a few people. 

Kind Regards, 

Dan Currin 

Co-Founder 

OrgChartHub & GeoMapper named in the Top 30 HubSpot Apps 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Dan1
Solution
Top Contributor

Hi @JenBerenguer , 

Great points!! 

I used to head up a CS team back in 2017 and 2018 for another software company and we were big HubSpot Sales and Marketing users. I set up a renewals pipeline, which worked well with customer quarterly reviews, to make sure we didn't miss a beat. 

This post is a little dated but the workflows I put together still apply: 

https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Tips-Tricks-Best-Practices/How-to-handle-renewals-in-your-deal-pipe...

I hope this helps a few people. 

Kind Regards, 

Dan Currin 

Co-Founder 

View solution in original post

JenBerenguer
HubSpot Employee

This is great, Dan, thanks! Definately very helpful (and awesome intro to the video :D)

NGome

Hi @Dan1 
Thanks so much for sharing it's very helpful!
I'm currently building the CS department in our company and I'm trying to implement your awesome ideas.

Sadly, I encountered a problem when I tried to build the workflow as you suggested, I couldn't find the option "create a deal", do you mind helping me with this and explaining to me in more detail how exactly you did it?

My wish is that once the deal is won it will automatically move to the CS pipeline

Thanks again,

Noa 

0 Upvotes
Dan1
Top Contributor

Hi Noa, 

I am really pleased that you have found the renewals post and video helpful. 

I have put together a quick video for you so you can find the section in workflows to create a deal: 

Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 10.36.51.png

Kind Regards, 

Dan Currin 

Co-Founder 

Dan1_0-1606235773870.png
Dan1
Top Contributor

Hi @NGome  , as per my message, meet @louischausse he might be able to help you further when it comes to copying deal details over to a new pipeline and managing your renewals. He has a HubSpot plugin called renewal spot . I hope this helps. 

louischausse
Key Advisor | Platinum Partner

Thanks for the introduction @Dan1 !

@NGome, happy to help here. If you don't see the "Create a deal" option it is maybe that you don't have Sales hub pro or enterprise... 

Do you know what tier of HubSpot you have?

Louis Chaussé

CEO

Auxilio

lchausse@auxilio.io
auxilio.io
Schedule a call