HubSpot Ideas

bellawu

Workflow Error Notifications

Receive a notification for whenever one of my workflows encounters an error.

This would avoid missing leads in real time due to undetected errors.

http://ideas.hubspot.com/forums/76407-general-hubspot-ideas/suggestions/15774616-workflow-error-noti...

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
December 08, 2023 01:22 PM

👋 Everyone,

Workflow Issue Notifications is now live for all Enterprise customers. You can receive notifications of workflow issues via Slack, Email, Facebook Workplace, MS Teams, Mobile, Browser, or with In-app notifications on a per workflow basis. As a result, less business critical workflows can continue to be managed through the workflows Needs Review tab, but users can receive notifications for higher priority workflow issues every time they occur, or after as set period of time defined by the user. Workflow notifications are available in Enterprise-level HubSpot portals.

Two steps are needed for an account to receive this notification: notification recipients need to be selected per workflow, and those recipients need to opt-in to that notification per channel.

For the first step, to turn on issue notifications for a workflow, users will go to Workflows > Settings and notifications > Notifications tab. Then they'll set select the desired individuals or teams that will receive notifications for that workflow. Lastly, they'll turn the When Workflow Needs Review toggle to On.

For the second step, in order for each of those recipient to receive this notification, they will need to opt-in to one or more notification channels. To do so, users will first go to Settings > Your preferences > Notifications. Then will select the tab for a notification channels Email, Desktop, or Slack.

Then, to opt-in for this notification within each desired channel, users will expand the Workflows accordion. Within that accordion, users will check the checkbox next to When a workflow needs review.

For more information on setting up user notifications, check out this knowledge article.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback on workflow issue notifications! 

Best,

Jess

May 09, 2023 10:38 AM

Also, here's a URL that will take you to all public betas:  https://app.hubspot.com/l/whats-new/betas

In Planning
May 08, 2023 06:09 PM

👋 Everyone,

We released the next iteration of workflow issue/error management to public beta last week. With this update you can set preferences for the types of workflow issues you want to monitor. You can choose to ignore trivial issues indefinitely, while critical issues can be set for review every time they occur. You can also set preferences to review specific workflow issues on certain dates or after set time periods. The preferences you set will determine what shows up for review on the tab on the main workflows page. We expect this feature to go to an automated rollout for everyone begin using it next week. If you would like to join the public beta this week, go to Product Updates > Early Access > [Public Beta] Workflows - Issue Details Panel with Reminders.

The next iteration of workflow issue/error management is workflow notifications.

Question regarding workflow notifications for anyone who would like to share feedback: Is there a prefered channel through which you would like to receive notifications about workflow issues?  Slack, email, in-app, mobile app, any other channels? I appreciate your feedback!

Thank you,

Jess

jhartnagle@hubspot.com

February 03, 2023 01:52 PM

Hi, Everyone,

We are working on a series of error management improvements in 2023,
including notifications. The first improvement (it's not notifications)
will be out of beta and available to everyone next week. It includes
additional information about workflows with errors, along with the ability
to clear the workflow from the workflows with errors list
<>.
Error Notifications is coming - I will definitely update this group with
beta details when it's ready. I appreciate all your insights and patience.

Best,
Jess

In Planning
September 22, 2022 01:40 PM

Hi, Everyone,

I'm Jess, a product manager on HubSpot's Automation team. Thank you all for your input for this idea. I'm excited to share the product team is actively working on workflow error notifications, along with some other error management enhancements! If you are interested in participating in the Beta (it will likley be later this year) for workflow error notifications, as well as for other workflow error management features, please contact me directly at jhartnagle@hubspot.com.

Again, thank you all for your feedback!

Best,

Jess

Being Reviewed
December 15, 2021 11:46 AM

Our team is currently evaluating the best way to notify users about workflow events. If anyone would be interested in speaking with us (the product team) about their use case, feel free to send me a direct message and we can set up some time to talk!

April 20, 2020 09:10 AM

Hi @Herschel. Thanks for the reply here. I had an itchy finger on that one and saved before it was ready.

Just to note here, this status does not mean that the idea is rejected. It just means that we have reviewed it, but have not prioritized it in our roadmap. We will update this thread if that changes.

Not Currently Planned
April 20, 2020 09:02 AM

Hi HubSpot Community,

Thank you for taking the time to contribute and vote on this idea. We don't currently have this specific feature planned, but we are currently looking at ways to improve our error and alerts system. The current path is to help surface these better in-app. If anyone would like to be a part of the beta when it is available, please let us know.

Thank you,

Jesse

Not Currently Planned
April 20, 2020 08:32 AM

101 Replies
Jeff-Hensiek
Participant

I just had this happen on our end as well.  We had a lead that came in, was enrolled in the workflow...but never went any further.  Needless to say, the workflow didn't trigger any emails or sales rep notifications.

It would be GREAT if I could have received an error notification.

Hello_u
Participant

I found a several workflows with broken branches today due to alerts flagged for field options that were no longer correct. The workflow didn't send an email to me and there was no way for me to know this. 

An alert about broken workflow issues that emails you would be really helpful. It would sure help keep the workflow running correctly and avoid admins digging through rabbit holes when they don't see data synching correctly. 

Ultimately - it would reduce HS support calls. So it's in their best interest to dig into this one. 

hvy_weight
Contributor

This is vital!  Plus it would be so EASY to implement!  Hubspot already has a little alert indicator that shows up on the Alerts button when there is issues - it is trivial to simply pass that alert indicator up one level so that when looking at the workflows you can eaily see which workflows have an Alert - or even better, to be able to filter the workflows to show those with Alerts / Errors. 

AndreRamalho

Hey, Community,

Does anyone know how to set notifications to myself when an error occurs in a workflow?

I've created a few workflows - and they were working fine - only to discover that it'd stopped enrolling my contacts after a change I made in one of the criterias. Btw, I discover it only by acident.

Cheers,

SMJ0724
Contributor

I just realized today that this is not a thing in Hubspot, and I can't believe it! This is absolutely vital functionality. I just discovered today that some workflows have not been working correctly since 2015! When you have 90+ workflows, as we do, it is impossible to go in and look through each and every one, and check every branch.

There isn't even a way for us to see at a glance which workflows are OK and which are having issues, you literally need to check and click in to each and every branch of every worflow. For a product as expensive as yours, this is an absolute must. Zapier's free version sends me an email everytime there is an error with a workflow I create there...

Hello_u
Participant

Yes! In the interim, a simply solution. Roll up the "alerts" within each workflow to a summary of alerts along with the workflow it belongs to (at minimum). That's existing functionality - simply rolled up into a centralized report.  Since each workflow already flags an "alert" inside the workflow (albeit silently) - just make those visible in a summary view of sorts.

hvy_weight
Contributor

@Hello_u are you saying that your suggested solution is something we can implement now as a workaround or is this another suggestion to hubspot on how to handle? If this is implementable now, can you provide clarity on how one would do that? Support tells me it is not possible currently. 

Jeff-Hensiek
Participant

I'm thinking it's just a suggestion for HubSpot to implement.

Hello_u
Participant

@hvy_weight It's related to this major issue reported by @bellawu but it's a interim option as they work their way to a more intuitive and overall solution to the problem of managing workflow quality control. 

It's not currently something that you or I can do. I'm just trying to guide the support team in the direction of using the alerts that already exist and simply making them visible elsewhere. It's a shorter distance than overhauling workflow reporting. I'm sorry that I do not have the technical expertise on how to fix it exactly. 

philipB
Member | Partner

Commenting here for visibility. It's crazy to me that there's no sort of notification when workflows error out. I just noticed that a webhook has been failing intermittently for over a day. There's no reason HS shouldn't alert me about that!

bseaman1

Did hubspot ever implement this????

SMJ0724
Contributor

@bseaman1 Nope. They have created an alerts notification area per workflow, but nothing that sends any physical alerts if you are viewing and editing that workflow. I can't even fathom why this is not a priority for a platform that bills itself as being one of the most robust marketing automation systems out there.

willcurran
Top Contributor

Yes.

bseaman1

@willcurran what do you mean yes? it was finally implemented? 

willcurran
Top Contributor

@bseaman1 sorry didn't look at the second page and just bad timing. I was just saying Yes, we need this.

MCA-Steve

This just happen to me as well.  It is a costly mistake when leads are not routed because of an error in a workflow.  We need some ability to know when it happens and correct the issue.

JasonMM
Participant

I have needed this on multiple occasions. Seems like every week we find a workflow bug due to a missing/changed contact property or HS user no longer active. Workflow Error Notification options would save from time passing before errors are "found" manually. By the time you find the workflow that is not processing contacts correctly and see the error messages, you have already identified the issue.

Rbanga
HubSpot Employee

Posting on behalf of a customer. They are looking for a similar feature where they would be able to get a notification for workflow errors and failures. 

Leslie_Vanco
Contributor

This is vital - I would think so many in our community are routing leads via workflow. When you find out that a Salesforce sync error or property change caused a lead not to route, only by digging through alerts in Workflow History - not a good process!

Speakap

Is this possible by now? Can't find a solution when I go through Hubspot.