CMS Development

SarahOps
Contributor

Clone website for testing

SOLVE

Hi,

My company's website is managed through HubSpot. Is it possible to clone my website and use the clone version as a testing environment before I publish my content on the real website? The preview feature of HubSpot CMS is too limited. I often only discover mistakes once my page is published so looking for a work-around as close to a staging environment as possible. Any recommendations welcome. Thanks, Eugenie

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
albertsg
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Hi @SarahOps, you can definetely clone a Website for testing purposes, just click the Clone button.

albertsg_0-1649699632869.png

If you want to publish it just for testing, then I recommend adding "noindex, nofollow" meta tags. Here's an article about it: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-unindex-pages-from-search-engines 

BUT here's the catch, this will only allow you to test content on the page.

If what you want is to update the code, you should clone your template also and assign it to the new cloned page. The reason why is that if you update the template, it will affect all pages under this template. 

Did my answer help you? Mark it as a solution

You also connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
albertsg
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Hi again @SarahOps, I believe there is no "one button" way to clone the whole site, you would need to do it page by page. 

Maybe it's worth to set up a Sandbox account to test everything before release it to production. Here you have more info about it: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/account/set-up-a-hubspot-sandbox-account 

Regarding the follow-up question, noindex - nofollow just avoids this page to be indexed, but it won't prevent any functionality to work. So if you have a form in the page, it will work as it works in the "main" page. 

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
SarahOps
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @albertsg ,

Thanks for the tip. If my understanding is correct, this is on a page-by-page basis correct? Do you know if there is a way I could clone the whole website in 1 click? Also, as a follow-up question, if a page is "noindex" and "nofollow", and it contains a form, would I still be able to test the form? Thanks

0 Upvotes
albertsg
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Hi again @SarahOps, I believe there is no "one button" way to clone the whole site, you would need to do it page by page. 

Maybe it's worth to set up a Sandbox account to test everything before release it to production. Here you have more info about it: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/account/set-up-a-hubspot-sandbox-account 

Regarding the follow-up question, noindex - nofollow just avoids this page to be indexed, but it won't prevent any functionality to work. So if you have a form in the page, it will work as it works in the "main" page. 

0 Upvotes
SarahOps
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @albertsg, understood, thank you! 

Re. Sandbox account, I have a sandbox account set up already. Do you know if it is possible to connect the same website domain to a production and sandbox account?

Thanks,

Eugenie

0 Upvotes
albertsg
Guide

SOLVE

I don't think it's possible to connect the same domain to both accounts. But Hubspot Support could give you more information about this, maybe they have a different approach to your question 🙂

0 Upvotes
SarahOps
Contributor

SOLVE
To reduce fraud or cyber-crime risks, Arteris IP will never instruct you to change wire payment instructions or bank account details using email or fax. If you receive such an email or fax appearing to be from Arteris IP, please call your Arteris IP’s contact to verify. Please do not verify by email.
0 Upvotes
albertsg
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Hi @SarahOps, you can definetely clone a Website for testing purposes, just click the Clone button.

albertsg_0-1649699632869.png

If you want to publish it just for testing, then I recommend adding "noindex, nofollow" meta tags. Here's an article about it: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-unindex-pages-from-search-engines 

BUT here's the catch, this will only allow you to test content on the page.

If what you want is to update the code, you should clone your template also and assign it to the new cloned page. The reason why is that if you update the template, it will affect all pages under this template. 

0 Upvotes