APIs & Integrations

Renegade
Top Contributor

Timeline Events Not Displaying

SOLVE

I'm able to configure Timeline event types & templates, and successfully create new events.  However, these events do not show in the contact's timeline.  I have my developer scopes configured properly, the contact's email is correct, and I am not filtering anything as far as I can tell.  Below are the details to one of these invisible events:

{ eventTypeId: 390369,
objectType: 'CONTACT',
timelineIFrame: null,
extraData: null,
objectId: 101,
timestamp: 1558486368160,
domain: '',
id: 'DC-000002',
email: 'nasty_slapper@yahoo.com',
applicationId: 192935,
portalId: 5771778,
utk: '',
webinarName: 'A Test Webinar',
webinarId: '001001' }

Also, although I see the "portalId" in the event data, I do not see any requirement or parameter for assigning this ID when creating the event.  How does this happen?  Is it purely via the access token (the only thing that I can see that is supplied)?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
lscanlan
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi again,

I think what's happening here is that your event type doesn't have a header template defined. So on the screen that lists the event types, look in the "Header" column for your event type. You should see a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside. And if you hover over it, it should have some help text saying that you'll need to define a header template. We have an article on how to render the events on the record timelines here: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/timeline/timeline-template-rendering. Let me know if you have questions on any of it.

Want to give that a shot? If the event still isn't displaying after defining the header template, let me know. But events that you've already created should start displaying once their event types have a header template.

- Leland

Leland Scanlan

HubSpot Developer Support

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
FDeSantiago

SOLVE

@Renegade I am trying to make timeline events work on contacts (I used this tutorial: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/api/crm/timeline#endpoint?spec=POST-/crm/v3/timeline/events), could you please tell me where are this section shown in a normal hubspot account? Also, how did you do to create event templates in another hubspot account? My app is meant to authenticate to other hubspot account and post the events there

FDeSantiago_0-1705025742395.png

0 Upvotes
lscanlan
Solution
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi again,

I think what's happening here is that your event type doesn't have a header template defined. So on the screen that lists the event types, look in the "Header" column for your event type. You should see a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside. And if you hover over it, it should have some help text saying that you'll need to define a header template. We have an article on how to render the events on the record timelines here: https://developers.hubspot.com/docs/methods/timeline/timeline-template-rendering. Let me know if you have questions on any of it.

Want to give that a shot? If the event still isn't displaying after defining the header template, let me know. But events that you've already created should start displaying once their event types have a header template.

- Leland

Leland Scanlan

HubSpot Developer Support
0 Upvotes
Renegade
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks!  I'm willing to bet that is it.  I can't get to this now, but I'll test it soon and get back to you.  🙂

0 Upvotes
Renegade
Top Contributor

SOLVE

That was the problem.  Great catch, and thanks again!

0 Upvotes