Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

rockhero111
Participant

Scheduling calls (Time field?); scheduling bulk emails (not with Task?)

SOLVE

Scheduling calls:

- Is there no way to avoid having a time entry in the Time field?

- Is there no way to specify "Must be at this exact time" vs "Within a few hours of this time" vs "Today" vs "Within a few days of this date?" (This seems to be a very important feature for a CRM. I consider this one of the single most important filtering controls.)

I realize using Time creatively for the latter is possible but that's so convoluted.

Scheduling bulk emails:

I'm not using the Marketing module yet. I'm doing all my emails with Outlook. For bulk emails I'm using an Add-in for Outlook called  EmailMerge Pro by Standss. To control email lists, I created custom Properties for Contacts and then will Export as appropriate.

I assume the Task > Email feature is only useful for a reminder to do individual/manual emails, and to do bulk emails on a schedule I'll want to create a custom Property with the scheduled date to filter on to do an export of names and email address, correct?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @rockhero111 and welcome to the Community! 

Can you ealborate on "scheduling calls" please? In my portal I can make a call and I can log calls, but the only scheduling I know of is as a Task. And all Tasks do have due date and times - it's expected behavior in HubSpot's design. Tasks lead to reminders, which are a critical part of the tool. I haven't personally seen a CRM that would work as you describe. However, in Tasks, when you go to the tool to work on your assigned Tasks, you can reschedule as needed so if the time of 2:45pm you may have chosen doesn't work, but 3:30 would, you can change it as you use it. Just a thought. 

Bulk emails by HubSpot definition are marketing emails. Sales emails are 1:1 emails. So if you want to send a bulk email to a list, that's done through the marketing email tool. However, Sequences is a Sales automation tool you could use for scheduling, enrolling multiple people into it (even if it's only one email) and setting the times up as you see it. 

"I assume the Task > Email feature is only useful for a reminder to do individual/manual emails, and to do bulk emails on a schedule I'll want to create a custom Property with the scheduled date to filter on to do an export of names and email address, correct?"

The Task for Email is a reminder, and can include the Template for ease. Bulk email is not based on a custom property, but the Sequence tool I mentioned. But again, it's not truly bulk, as that's a marketing feature. 

Hope that helped! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
rockhero111
Participant

SOLVE

Mod: I'm not sure how a post was marked Accepted Solution. I'm the OP and I didn't do that. Just sayin'. 😉

0 Upvotes
rockhero111
Participant

SOLVE

I very much appreciate the support and continued effort to help.

To clarify by repeating what I stated in the OP, with no intention of being beligerent:

"I'm not using the Marketing module yet. I'm doing all my emails with Outlook. For bulk emails I'm using an Add-in for Outlook called  EmailMerge Pro by Standss. To control email lists, I created custom Properties for Contacts and then will Export as appropriate."

I realized that's very unusual implementation but for now I'm working with a modest budget and avoiding the escalating costs of the Marketing modules when doing emails. Plus, I currently have hundreds of contacts who are potential very high value and many are in fine for me to email to without their being opted into a list and without their seeing an unsub at the bottom of emails I send. For all those reasons, for the time being at least I'm doing what I stated above. And when it's in volume, well, I called that bulk. It works fine for now. Soon I'll learn how to integrate with a Marketing hub.

For normal bulk emails to those who opted in I'm using Constant Contact for now. Soon I'll see about employing a Marketing hub plan for all of that -- or may keep some of it separate for different needs.

I'm familiar with scheduling and running Tasks. The question was only about scheduling email tasks.

I'm for now not using any online calling service. I'm just dialing on the cell phone. Soon I'll be employing the calling capabilities in Hubspot and/or incorporating a third-party service.

And for what it's worth, soon I'll have employees/team doing various levels of contacts and follow-ups. For now, it's me going after a small number of high-value leads, and managing growing relationships. Soon the budget and team will grow rapidly, and we'll use Hubspot for marekting to high-value B2B prospects, and maybe I'll also use it for fundraising for the nonprofit I run.

I have spent hundreds of hours doing research and learning Hubspot. Now I need to get moving with initial custom setup and utilization for what works for me now and anticpates immiment rapid expansion.

What I would really love is someone very experienced in this area to be in direct contact as a bit of a coach on thinking through my current needs for efficient implemenation. I have a lot on my plate, and many high-value prospects currently waiting for me to follow up or contact while I configure Hubspot.

Some of what I'm up to, FWIW (key links expire mid-Jan due to sensitive nature):
https://evolvedinfluence.com/super (Mod: If it's not okay for me to post that here, please remove it and let me know.)

Thanks!

Jay

0 Upvotes
danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @rockhero111 and welcome to the Community! 

Can you ealborate on "scheduling calls" please? In my portal I can make a call and I can log calls, but the only scheduling I know of is as a Task. And all Tasks do have due date and times - it's expected behavior in HubSpot's design. Tasks lead to reminders, which are a critical part of the tool. I haven't personally seen a CRM that would work as you describe. However, in Tasks, when you go to the tool to work on your assigned Tasks, you can reschedule as needed so if the time of 2:45pm you may have chosen doesn't work, but 3:30 would, you can change it as you use it. Just a thought. 

Bulk emails by HubSpot definition are marketing emails. Sales emails are 1:1 emails. So if you want to send a bulk email to a list, that's done through the marketing email tool. However, Sequences is a Sales automation tool you could use for scheduling, enrolling multiple people into it (even if it's only one email) and setting the times up as you see it. 

"I assume the Task > Email feature is only useful for a reminder to do individual/manual emails, and to do bulk emails on a schedule I'll want to create a custom Property with the scheduled date to filter on to do an export of names and email address, correct?"

The Task for Email is a reminder, and can include the Template for ease. Bulk email is not based on a custom property, but the Sequence tool I mentioned. But again, it's not truly bulk, as that's a marketing feature. 

Hope that helped! 

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @rockhero111, Happy Monday!

Thank you for posting in our Community. 

I want to share a knowledge base with more information about calls:

View and filter records on an object home page

Date properties, select from predetermined options (e.g., Today, Yesterday, Last quarter). A record’s property value must be within the selected time frame to be included in the view.

Are you using the HubSpot calling feature or a 3rd party integration to log calls?

To send a marketing email through workflows, you will need to create and save the email for automation.

You can create automated emails using either the marketing email tool or you can create automated emails from within the workflow tool. I'm sharing more information here. 

About tasks, you can create tasks as reminders associated with specific records. (more information here).

I want to invite our top experts to this conversation to share their thoughts, @danmoyle@jolle@Jigar_Thakker any recommendations to @rockhero111 matter?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !