HubSpot Ideas

JulieTi

Update ‘import file’ unique identifiers to make it easier to update company records in HubSpot

Hi everyone,

I have the following problem:

I receive excel files with company records which I need to import to HubSpot with the only goal of updating their records (for example because the companies have been participating in an event, therefore I would like to ‘tag’ that in HubSpot.

We already have those company records in HubSpot. The problem however is that some companies have one headquarters and 3 local offices, which means that we already have 4 company records with the same domain address. Therefore, when I import a file, I cannot update the company I would like (in my case headquarters) because HubSpot uses 2 unique identifiers: ‘domain name’ & ‘record id’. So, since I cannot use the domain name the 2nd possibility is ‘record id’.  But to get the ‘record id’ I need to search for each company in HubSpot, and place that information in the excel sheet to import, so with the same success, I can add the tags manually. However, when you have more than 500 companies to update, it takes a lot of time to go through all of them.

Therefore I am asking, if it would be possible to either have a 3rd unique identifier for Headquarter / Local Office or even better (if possible) companies to have the right to choose their perfect 3 unique identifier which will allow them to use that property for imports as well as for integration purposes.

Thank you and have a great day! 🙂 

HubSpot Updates
Delivered
July 27, 2023 12:26 PM

Hey @JulieTi !! Just wanted to update this idea as delivered. You can now set any company property to only accpet unique values within property settings, and use this as a unique ID within import. Instructions on how to create properties that only accept unique values can be found in this KB article. Once you create the property, you can use it in import to update existing records.

Pro Tip: you can also now choose to do an import that only updates existing records. If you choose this option (on the file upload step within import!), we'll ignore any records that don't match the unique ID you choose. This way you don't have to worry about accidentally creating a new record as you're going to update these companies.

1 Reply
agirard
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @JulieTi !! Just wanted to update this idea as delivered. You can now set any company property to only accpet unique values within property settings, and use this as a unique ID within import. Instructions on how to create properties that only accept unique values can be found in this KB article. Once you create the property, you can use it in import to update existing records.

Pro Tip: you can also now choose to do an import that only updates existing records. If you choose this option (on the file upload step within import!), we'll ignore any records that don't match the unique ID you choose. This way you don't have to worry about accidentally creating a new record as you're going to update these companies.