HubSpot Ideas

karstenkoehler

GDPR right to information: Export of all personal data when requested by a contact

Dear product team,

This request is about a feature that allows the download of all data stored about a contact easily – without the help of a developer.

According to article 15 of the GDPR, when requested by a contact, a HubSpot customer "shall provide a copy of the personal data undergoing processing" (see here for reference: https://gdpr-info.eu/art-15-gdpr/).

As of now, it's not possible to export this information easily, as HubSpot stores personal data in a variety of places:

• Contact property values (can be exported, this is the easiest part)
  • Historical contact property values (these would have to be exported one by one for each property, potentially hundreds of exports!)
  • Values and history of all associated objects (see above)
  • Activities and engagements like sales emails, notes, meetings etc (cannot be exported without third-party software or custom developed solution based on API)
  • Interaction with other tools that are not considered engagements (interactions with marketing emails, marketing forms, surveys etc)

In other words, the preparation of this export is time-consuming and requires a developer. This should be a native feature in HubSpot.

Ideally, this is not just a feature in the HubSpot app but something that can be offered as a customer-facing tool, too, as requested here:

give contacts a link so they can download their data

Thanks in advance!

18 Replies
jwassink

You are right, Karsten. This is a must have! Thank you for pointing us all to this topic! Jörg

LMeert
Guide | Platinum Partner

Indeed a shocker this is not already provided to the customers.
For small to medium companies that obviously need to comply to GDPR it can be a real challenge and a lot of money to spend to get all that data condensed in a readable format for the client who asks for it !

Please consider it as soon as possible on your product roadmap as it will be one more argument to push adoption to European countries.

danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

This would be very helpful and a powerful feature for international clients! 

NINEbrackets

That's indeed a very pressing issue if you want to keep up with GDPR standards without the hustle of having your development department ready to do their magic everytime you have a request to provide information stored in your CRM.

JChlostaGS

+1

Andrea_O

+1 

AWittenauer

+1

ABeckert

+1

isabellweiss
Contributor

+1 🙂 

samulii

+1

Gade
HubSpot Product Team

Hi folks,

I’m Bhargava, the Senior Product Manager for HubSpot’s GDPR tool.

Thank you all for taking the time to submit, upvote, and comment on this Idea. We hear you loud and clear, and we agree that this functionality is important. We are currently evaluating different solutions to solve this problem.

My team and I would love the opportunity to speak with you to understand your needs better and also brainstorm the solutions we are thinking about. If you are open to a chat, please email me at bgade@hubspot.com or DM me here.

Any news about this feature request will be relayed on this thread, so stay tuned!

Best,

Bhargava

ornellalemonnie
Member | Platinum Partner

yes , + 1

ClaudiuT

Hello, any updates on this request?

I need to export some client activities and I can't find a solution.

I tried Print -> Save As PDF and even that doesn't scroll the page and let me have all the info on the client page.

I also tried full page screenshot in Chrome and it's the same problem, it doesn't scroll the page to get all the info.

Gade
HubSpot Product Team

Hi everyone,

I’m Bhargava, the Senior Product Manager for HubSpot’s GDPR tool.

I'm very pleased to announce that this feature has been delivered to all customers. More information can be found in this product announcement

We could not have built this feature without your help. Thank you all for taking the time to submit, vote and comment on this Idea.

Kind regards,

Bhargava

danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Thank you @Gade this is awesome! I love the power of Community. 😊 

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner

Thank you @Gade, this is great!

You're referring to this update, correct?

[Public Beta] Exporting contact data

Jan 16, 2023

What is it?

You can now export specific data about a contact including:

• Contact properties
  • Contact property history
  • Contact activities and associations

Keep in mind, this export displays information about a contact and includes personal data. Because of its sensitive nature, it should only be shared with your contact for its intended purpose.

Why does it matter?

It can take hours, sometimes days, to export data about a contact when it's needed. This feature saves time and makes exporting contact data a breeze.

How does it work?

Go to the contact's page, click on the ellipsis (...) on the contact card, then click on "Contact data export." After selecting the data for export, you'll get an email to download the file(s). You can also go to Settings > Data Management > Import & Export to download.

Are there any plans to include the additional data points from the original requests?

• Activities and engagements like sales emails, notes, meetings etc
  • Interaction with other tools that are not considered engagements (interactions with marketing emails, marketing forms, surveys etc)

These would also fall under personal data stored in a CRM and would have to be shared with a contact when requested.

Thank you and best regards!

Gade
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @karstenkoehler ,

You're right, that's the update I was referring to! 🙂

Re your question, Activities and engagements are already available in this update, we are still collecting customer feedback, and plan to expand the export in the future.

Kind regards,

Bhargava

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner

Thanks @Gade! 🙏