Content Hub for Marketers

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How well does your website serve its visitors?

Think about the saying, “People don’t buy a quarter-inch drill; they buy a quarter-inch hole.” This is a perfect example of the Jobs Theory in action. When someone purchases a drill, they’re hiring that drill to do the job of creating a hole in their wall.

What is the job people are hiring your website to do? How are you currently solving those needs? Keep in mind, your site may have several different “jobs.” Some people may be coming there to find out about your pricing, while others might want to speak with your sales team. Share your thoughts below.

*To learn more about this, check out the Fundamentals of a Great Website User Experience lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

88 Replies 88
molayamkt

I guess that one of the most important things when we as a marketers decide to make an action plan with a website is the UX & UI. For Example: Here in Colombia, the thing that give the first place to RAPPI is because its untuitive design that lead their users finds what they need quickly. Coming back to the first line: First impression is the key to build a successful brand. 

0 Upvotes
ApoZadeh

Im currently helping few clients with their website deseign. Since its a remote business an emphasis should be put on : to the point, simple, modern, intimate, personal (boutique business). 

What do visitors hire the website to do? 

-Find out if its a suitable solution to their needs (Case Studies)

-Since its animation and VR related a presentation of such skill should be diplayed

-be able to tell if these guys know what their doing (design and messaging)

-guesstimate if this is a solution to their need ( which leads to contact sales reps) 

-Get in touch with sales reps for exploration call

-learn more about the business 

0 Upvotes
NWheel

Our current website offers potential clients a chance to learn about our primary services and connect with sales to engage in an online math review. We also provide support to existing customers with support through chatbot so they can ask a question.

0 Upvotes
MBuizon
Participant

It will have several different jobs

(Not yet published)

-it will serve as my bio/portfolio 

-it will have links to get access to events

-include a blog 

This is a good question, I am figuring out if I want to have two different websites or one that has several different jobs to it. 

0 Upvotes
Mothra

It's new, so we'll see. The site is really for me.  It serves as:

.My own content library/portfolio

.Demonstration of my digital marketing, content and web site skills

.A meta-brand experience

.Sandbox for ideas and conceptual designs

0 Upvotes
mariekamar
Participant

The current website currently serves the role of sharing how our product can help our target audience, our offerings and a way for customers to connect with our sales rep. 

0 Upvotes
JBedoyaVillal

- Provide regular problems and possible solutions

- Provide many views of the problem and their solutions

- Share information with basic facts, so your contenet becomes close to your customers.

0 Upvotes
CSanchez9

By providing Information to our  customers 

0 Upvotes
EllipticsoulBo
Member | Elite Partner
Member | Elite Partner

by providing solutions to problems that people need to solve.

B.N.L
0 Upvotes
BInyang

Providing them with updated information in the targeted industry .

0 Upvotes
IUpton6
Participant

Our brand new website https://propchain.com is designed with a job in mind. People can invest in real estate from 100 dollars using cutting edge tech. Instead of focussing on the technology we have focussed on the job alone: investing in real estate.

0 Upvotes
Bea1

- Provide resources on how to data analytics can save marketers and sales work

- Attend and download webinars 

- Book a time with our sales team

0 Upvotes
Shahbaz
Contributor | Diamond Partner

In 2021, I would have said, 'very well' as our service sector at that time was very different from what it is today. We've demonstrated our ability with the tools that we have, however, we have a lot of opportunity to grow in this area. I often use the analogy that the 'cobbler's children run around town with no shoes'. Where we're working towards is to consistently be our own best client and powerfully deliver on our business website such that our prospects, clients, contacts and vendors are empowered to say, "yes, I want that" no matter what. 

Migrate. Setup. Integrate. Create Co-opetition with us! https://app.hubspot.com/meetings/Shahbaz
0 Upvotes
HDent
Participant

As mentioned, websites help answer many "jobs" from communication channels (how to reach), service/product offerings (what I need), about (who are you and do I want to work/buy from you) - a website plays a role "working" for the company and the consumer and each page has a "job" for both. Hubspot has a great video on this Jobs to be Done theory...accessing data certainly helps to build websites which help understand audience to do an effective "job" with our website  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stc0beAxavY 

0 Upvotes
ANJUSHA_97

“People don’t buy foot-inch drills; They buy a quarter inch hole. This is the best example of a working theory. When someone buys a drill, they rent that drill to do the work of creating a hole in their wall.

What is the job of people renting your website? How do you address those needs now? Remember, your site may have different "jobs". Some people may be there to learn about your pricing, while others may want to talk to your sales team. Share your thoughts below.

0 Upvotes
entadam

Website is doing ok.  However, the concept of focusing on the hole vs the drill bit is a good perspective.  Thanks!

Shahbaz

I hear you! The ability to create a hole or create multiple holes (as needed) is something we think about very little. We often think about filling holes or fixing holes instead!!

Migrate. Setup. Integrate. Create Co-opetition with us! https://app.hubspot.com/meetings/Shahbaz
0 Upvotes
AHoffman4
Participant

Yes. I never thought of it from that perspective before. I now need to completely rethink my web strategy. 

Eyya
Participant

Visitors are hiring our website for many reasons, some of them are :

• Discover the identity of the brand, so to response the question of who we are ?
  • Understand the brand's products or services
  • Explore Options in Marketing all in one place
  • The way it's easy and useful for their research
  • etc.
0 Upvotes
jirby

In B2B sales cycle, because of websites, buyers are now 60-80% educated on the thing being offered and have narrowed their choices substantially before they ever talk to a sales professional.  The website is a vehicle to communicate precisely, accurately, and educate on demand so that the selling organization is included in the decision making process of the buyer.  The website has taken over the early stages of the sales cycle and can either qualify or disqualify the organization from consideration, long before any human interaction occurs.

GKinja

The website's job is to Increase the online visibility

0 Upvotes