Ask Me Anything and Panel Discussions

Maryann
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

[Closed] AMA: HubSpot Payments: Sell Online and Grow Your Revenue | August 2 - 5, 2022

HubSpot Payments AMA.png

August 2 - 5, 2022

Hi everyone, 

I’m Maryann! I’m a senior product marketing manager for commerce at HubSpot. Earlier this year, we launched HubSpot payments, a native solution that allows HubSpot customers to accept digital payments directly inside HubSpot. 

We have incredible new features, including the payment object, and new ways to sell online with payments in forms, marketing email and meetings! This means more ways to grow your revenue online and an incredible purchasing experience for your customers. We’re so excited about this solution and how it’s helped customers grow online. You can see it for yourself: payments hall of fame has some of the best customer examples of payments. 

With so much uncertainty in today's world of business, it’s important SMBs prepare themselves to stay competitive and afloat, especially with increasing customer expectations. I want to personally invite you to our upcoming AMA where you can learn all about HubSpot payments:

[AMA] How SMBs can sell online and grow revenue, Tuesday, August 2 - Friday, August 5, 2022  

This AMA will be open for questions from Tuesday, August 2 - Friday, August 5, 2022. All questions will be answered by Friday, August 5th.

Drop your questions regarding HubSpot payments in this thread and we'll answer them between August 2 - 5, 2022

Not sure what to ask? Here are a few sample questions:

1. Help! I don’t have anything to sell online. How do I figure out what I can sell online?
  2. How can I enroll in HubSpot payments?
  3. What are some use cases or examples of customers using HubSpot payments? 

Look forward to chatting with you in the thread and hearing all of your questions! 

27 Replies 27
shanedavies
Participant

[Closed] AMA: HubSpot Payments: Sell Online and Grow Your Revenue | August 2 - 5, 2022

Looking to use Hubspot Payments to take payment for an online course [single date only] via a page with a Hubspot form. We'd like to know how this compares to Stripe etc. and relative ease of setup. 

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Thanks for the question @shanedavies and I hope you've had a nice week!

When it comes to ease of setup.... to get started, all you'll need to do is click Sales > Payments in the upper navigation, then start the enrollment process on that page which entails answering some simple and quick questions about your business. From there, you'll hear from our fantastic Underwriting team within a couple of days. When it comes to actually setting up and using HubSpot Payments, it shouldn't really take more than 2 minutes! There are two routes you can use:

1. Payments and quotes - this is designed more for that QTC/CPQ motion (quote to cash/configure price quote)
  2. Payment links - this is the swiss army knife of HubSpot Payments that you can deploy online in many different ways or simply send to a buyer for a quick and easy transaction

When it comes to how it compares... HubSpot Payments allows for you to bring your commerce data together with your customer data, whereas if you were to use something like the stripe integration we have, you'd still have your commerce data separate from your CRM. We're doing this by simply creating objects, specifically the payment object to represent a transaction and the subscription object which is created anytime a recurring payment is run. Having all of this data together and being able to view it holistically is one thing, but having an object in the HubSpot Framework means you can not only view the data, but do things with the data - use payment or subscription based workflows to automate actions and leverage these objects in the custom report builder to drive decision making processes.

Sorry if this was a longer answer than you were hoping for but I just couldn't help myself.... let me know what you think and if you have any questions!

computerchipt
Participant

If you want us to use Payments I think you should include e-signatures in Sales starter.  Makes for a much better solution to get the payment.

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Great feedback once again @computerchipt , I know I can speak on behalf of the entire Product team when I say we appreciate it! I'll be sure to pass this along. In full transparency we haven't made any decisions around this, though we're always evaluating our pricing and packaging so if you saw a change on this front at some point, I wouldn't be shocked

0 Upvotes
kdalay
Participant

Hi @Maryann - 

Wanted to check if there was an update on Hubspot Payments re: allowing customers to get a free trial of a product before getting sent an invoice / getting charged (say, after 15 days or a month).

I saw that there was an article on it saying it's not currently possible - wanted to know if through the Stripe integration, this is possible to bypass, since Stripe allows for free trials. I did see in the Ideas Forum that only the standalone allowed for the free trials...

Thanks for any info!

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Awesome question @kdalay and appreciate the feedback as well. I think you're going to be excited about what we have coming this year... go ahead and DM me with your email and I'd be happy to reach out as we approach this functionality! (again, same offer goes for anyone reading this 😀)

0 Upvotes
kdalay
Participant

Just DM'd you my email! Thank you.

0 Upvotes
CeliaLara01
Participant

Ayuda! No tengo nada para vender en línea. ¿Cómo puedo saber qué puedo vender en línea?

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

(lo siento, mi español no es lo mejor en el mundo porque lo aprendí trabajando en restaurantes... no es el español de negocios 😬)

Si podemos ayudarte! Dime como tu negocio... que haces? Vendes productos o servicios? Puendes mandarme tu website para echarle un vistazo? gracias!

0 Upvotes
computerchipt
Participant

Payments are great but...  

1. We need to ability to take deposits on a Quote and then collect the rest when due.

2. We need the ability for our customers to be able to pick and choose line items on a Quote and then pay the total of the items they have chosen

Payments are great but we need more flexibility in the Quotes.

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Great feedback here @computerchipt ! I think you're going to like some of the features that we'll be releasing over the next handful of months :). If you'd like early access to those features, go ahead and send me a DM with your email and we'd be happy to reach out as we get closer (this offer goes to anybody else reading this as well!!!)

0 Upvotes
Nicholas_Manske

1. Is the credit card fee of 2.9% applicable to international credit card transactions, in addition to domestic credit card transactions? Can you comment on whether you support credit card payments from Europe, India, Singapore, and China? Thanks!

2.  Do you accept payments from ACH Wire Transfer from buyers outside the US? For example, certain countries have a different structure of bank account details than the American "account number" and "routing number". Can you accept wire transfers via the portal for European, Indian, Singaporean, or Chinese bank accounts? (See screenshot)Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 2.10.51 PM.png

3. Could you comment on how Hubspot Quotes will be sync'd to Quickbooks Online? Will Hubspot Quotes appear as Quickbooks invoices?  

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Happy Friday @Nicholas_Manske ! Taking your questions one by one here:

1. Is the credit card fee of 2.9% applicable to international credit card transactions, in addition to domestic credit card transactions? Can you comment on whether you support credit card payments from Europe, India, Singapore, and China? Thanks!
    1. It is indeed a 2.9% flat rate regardless of where the card is from and yes, we can indeed support credit card payments from international cards as well
  2. Do you accept payments from ACH Wire Transfer from buyers outside the US? For example, certain countries have a different structure of bank account details than the American "account number" and "routing number". Can you accept wire transfers via the portal for European, Indian, Singaporean, or Chinese bank accounts? (See screenshot)
    1. We don't currently accept international bank debits yet, more to come on this in the future though 🙂
  3. Could you comment on how Hubspot Quotes will be sync'd to Quickbooks Online? Will Hubspot Quotes appear as Quickbooks invoices?  
    1. Great question! We recently created these new QBO workflow actions that we're quite excited about. The most commonly used workflow here is a payment-based workflow (based off of the new payment object) with a status of "succeeded" as the enrollment trigger that simply creates the invoice in QBO. We also have an invoice sync from QBO so that you can easily view all of those invoices within HubSpot as well. This is something a lot of HubSpot users would likely be interested in, so I hope a lot of folks see this comment!
0 Upvotes
Nicholas_Manske

Jack, thanks!

1. Do you accept payments from ACH Wire Transfer from buyers outside the US? For example, certain countries have a different structure of bank account details than the American "account number" and "routing number". Can you accept wire transfers via the portal for European, Indian, Singaporean, or Chinese bank accounts? (See screenshot)
    1. We don't currently accept international bank debits yet, more to come on this in the future though 🙂 Do you have a rough estimate on the timing for implementation of international wire transfers? In the meantime, is there a way for our team to manually mark a quote as "Paid" if we receive an international wire transfer payment outside of Hubspot Payments?
  2. Could you comment on how Hubspot Quotes will be sync'd to Quickbooks Online? Will Hubspot Quotes appear as Quickbooks invoices?  
    1. Great question! We recently created these new QBO workflow actions that we're quite excited about. The most commonly used workflow here is a payment-based workflow (based off of the new payment object) with a status of "succeeded" as the enrollment trigger that simply creates the invoice in QBO. We also have an invoice sync from QBO so that you can easily view all of those invoices within HubSpot as well. This is something a lot of HubSpot users would likely be interested in, so I hope a lot of folks see this comment! 
0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

@Nicholas_Manske it's tough to give a timeline on that specifically, though I imagine that as we explore international expansion in the near future that this will indeed be a piece of this, so stay tuned for more from us on this soon!

0 Upvotes
Nicholas_Manske

In the meantime, is there a way for our team to manually mark a quote as "Paid" if we receive an international wire transfer payment outside of Hubspot Payments?

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Not at the moment @Nicholas_Manske , though this is definitely something we've gotten feedback on before so I wouldn't at all be surprised if we were to see this feature in the near future. I'd say the best way to do this for now would be to work more on the deal level (ie move the deal to closed won, which I'm sure you may already doing)

0 Upvotes
mysharonwang

Does the payment method only work for the US market now?  What is your roadmap to develop into other countries?  Can customer use any major credit cards and all charges are 2.9% flat?  I am more curious about your plan for Canada and Asian countries like Taiwan and China since they were my next target markets.

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Thanks for the question @mysharonwang and I hope you're doing well today! While you have to have a physical US location to use HubSpot Payments yourself, we are able to accept cards from any country, so buyers in other countries can still absolutely pay using HubSpot Payments.

And you're correct, all cards have a flat 2.9% fee regardless of the type of card! 

Regarding international expansion, as plans formalize, we will be sure to communicate this to HubSpot customers and the rest of the world. Please stay tuned for more information! We'll definitely keep those priority countries in mind... if anyone else has any suggestions as to where we should prioritize, we'd love to hear from you right here!

0 Upvotes
jvelazquez17

What are some use cases or examples of customers using HubSpot payments?

0 Upvotes