Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

CGoodwinOlsen
Contributor

Set Marketing Contacts based on Association Labels?

SOLVE

Hi! Is it possible to use workflows to set Marketing Contact status, based also on a contact's association label? 

Our use case explained:

• A Deal may have multiple contacts associated, so 1 should always be tagged with the association label "Primary contact". 
  • Upon Closed Won deal stage, we want to convert this Primary contact person to a Marketing Contact in order to send some automatic post-sales emails.
  • In a workflow for automating email sending, we can use a contact's association label to determine if they should receive the email.  However, this contact MUST be a marketing contact to receive an automated email.
  • So we are trying to solve a workflow that will set a contact as Marketing Contact based on their association label + trigger based on associated deal stage - is this possible? I can't seem to figure it out 😬

Thanks in advance!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CGoodwinOlsen,

Since the association label refers to a relationship between two records, not a single record ( = contact), this can only be achieved from a deal-based workflow, updating the associated contact record from the deal-based workflow.

However, in a deal-based workflow, the option to change the marketing contact status of associated contacts is not available.

There is an easy fix for this: You would create a custom contact property "Update marketing contact status (from deal association)", for example, and use the deal-based workflow to set the value of this property for all associated contacts with the correct label. This can be a single-check box or multiple options, whatever you prefer.

In a contact-based workflow, you would then enroll contacts who have the correct value in this new custom property and set those contacts as marketing contacts in the contact-based workflow, as this is an available option here.

In short, you need an additional custom property as a messenger.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CGoodwinOlsen,

Since the association label refers to a relationship between two records, not a single record ( = contact), this can only be achieved from a deal-based workflow, updating the associated contact record from the deal-based workflow.

However, in a deal-based workflow, the option to change the marketing contact status of associated contacts is not available.

There is an easy fix for this: You would create a custom contact property "Update marketing contact status (from deal association)", for example, and use the deal-based workflow to set the value of this property for all associated contacts with the correct label. This can be a single-check box or multiple options, whatever you prefer.

In a contact-based workflow, you would then enroll contacts who have the correct value in this new custom property and set those contacts as marketing contacts in the contact-based workflow, as this is an available option here.

In short, you need an additional custom property as a messenger.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

SStewart3
Contributor

SOLVE

This looks like it could be helpful to me, but I do not understand "use the deal-based workflow to set the value of this property for all associated contacts with the correct label". How do I trigger the deal based workflow for contacts that have a "consultant" label but not "partner"?

0 Upvotes
CGoodwinOlsen
Contributor

SOLVE

@SStewart3  Here are my 2 workflows, in case that helps you 😊

CGoodwinOlsen_0-1670402523968.png

CGoodwinOlsen_1-1670402576718.png

0 Upvotes
CGoodwinOlsen
Contributor

SOLVE

It looks like that will do the trick! You're a hero, thanks for a quick and helpful response! 🦸‍

0 Upvotes