Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Yowza

Parsing data from a field with a string

SOLVE

Hi All - Is anyone aware of a way to parse data from a string in a property field? We have a data field from our eComm platform send a string of most recently viewed products. The field can contain several of these in a string like:

[{"Key":"SOMEPRODUCTNUMBER","Value":"TIMESTAMP"}] [{"Key":"SOMEOTHERPRODUCTNUMBER","Value":"DIFFERENTTIMESTAMP"}]

It would be awesome if I could run a workflow that can parse out the data contained in the string, make a smart rule based on the values it contains, or a way to parse out values to use as personalization values. 

Anyone got a hack or tip? Thanks!

1 Accepted solution
GuyTaylor
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Hi @Yowza,

Yes, this is possible.  You can do this with a variety of different 3rd party tools. Once such tool is parabola.io. 
-It pulls in data from HubSpot
-Transforms data. It can do this is in very detaild ways. Things like: split text to column, capture all text after X, capture all text before X, offset capture of text by X characters and so on.
-Send data back to HubSpot

I am sharing the method in which I have personal experience. However, you might be able to use HubSpot workflows to accomplish the same thing. I would definitely checkout HubSpot workflows first before using a 3rd party tool.

I described a option for parsing text. Once the text is parsed you can think about the 'smart rule' as step two. Perhaps you can get parabola to do this part aswell or probably you can have HubSpot workflows do this.

Hopefully someone with more experience in HubSpot workflows will share their experience or you can check out the docs here: HubSpot workflows

Guy Taylor | HubTags.io | LinkedHub.io

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PAlessiKrarup
Participant

SOLVE

I'm looking for something similar. Need to extract value from meeting description and copy it to a property.

0 Upvotes
GuyTaylor
Solution
Guide

SOLVE

Hi @Yowza,

Yes, this is possible.  You can do this with a variety of different 3rd party tools. Once such tool is parabola.io. 
-It pulls in data from HubSpot
-Transforms data. It can do this is in very detaild ways. Things like: split text to column, capture all text after X, capture all text before X, offset capture of text by X characters and so on.
-Send data back to HubSpot

I am sharing the method in which I have personal experience. However, you might be able to use HubSpot workflows to accomplish the same thing. I would definitely checkout HubSpot workflows first before using a 3rd party tool.

I described a option for parsing text. Once the text is parsed you can think about the 'smart rule' as step two. Perhaps you can get parabola to do this part aswell or probably you can have HubSpot workflows do this.

Hopefully someone with more experience in HubSpot workflows will share their experience or you can check out the docs here: HubSpot workflows

Guy Taylor | HubTags.io | LinkedHub.io

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @Yowza  Happy Friday!

Thank you for providing information about your workflow goal.  I would like to invite some of our top experts to share their ideas @Dan1 @Jonno_Price @GuyTaylor any recommendations to @Yowza matter?

Thank you,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !