Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

KyleSelf16
Participant

Hubspot Properties vs Custom Properties For Scaling?

SOLVE

How should we manage our properties across objects to improve data integrity? Would it make sense to set up custom properties that would essentially duplicate the HubSpot properties for data consistency?

For example, here are some of the issues we're running into:

• Filtering on a state-by-state basis
    • With the state property type being a single-line text, if a rep spells it wrong it wouldn't be added to the correct dashboards/reports
    • When the company gets created automatically (especially in the case of franchises & SMBs) the state is mapped incorrectly.
  • Setting/Managing Industries:
    • We sell to anywhere from 5-10 industries tops, so the sheer number of industries included in the default industry dropdown is overwhelming & reps end up leaving it blank
    • When the industry is set automatically it's more often than not incorrect. 
0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
cchristiansen
Solution
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

SOLVE

Hi @KyleSelf16 , happy to provide some insight on your questions and examples! 

I recommend editing any existing default properties (created by HubSpot) to match your specific use case vs. creating duplicate properties. If there is information you need to store on your records that doesn't fit into these basic standard properties, I would then create a custom property. This resource covers best practices when it comes to custom properties: Using Custom Properties in HubSpot

• With the state property type being a single-line text, if a rep spells it wrong it wouldn't be added to the correct dashboards/reports: You can change this to a drop-down select field with these steps instead of a single-line text field to ensure your reps can only select a state. This will also enable you to easily filter by State Name and ensures there are no spelling variants. 
    • When the company gets created automatically (especially in the case of franchises & SMBs) the state is mapped incorrectly: This information is populated through HubSpot Insights which is a database of company information that HubSpot gathers by combining third party data, web crawling, and crowdsourcing. You can disable this functionality if you would prefer to have your reps enter the applicable information like state. 
    • We sell to anywhere from 5-10 industries tops, so the sheer number of industries included in the default industry dropdown is overwhelming & reps end up leaving it blank: You can edit/delete any of the industries with these steps that are not applicable to your team to narrow down the options for your team. 
    • When the industry is set automatically it's more often than not incorrect: This is pulled in through HubSpot Insights as well, I suggest evaluating if it makes sense to turn off this feature for more accurate data since you are working with franchises/SMB's. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any follow up questions.

- Chloe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
cchristiansen
Solution
HubSpot Moderator
HubSpot Moderator

SOLVE

Hi @KyleSelf16 , happy to provide some insight on your questions and examples! 

I recommend editing any existing default properties (created by HubSpot) to match your specific use case vs. creating duplicate properties. If there is information you need to store on your records that doesn't fit into these basic standard properties, I would then create a custom property. This resource covers best practices when it comes to custom properties: Using Custom Properties in HubSpot

• With the state property type being a single-line text, if a rep spells it wrong it wouldn't be added to the correct dashboards/reports: You can change this to a drop-down select field with these steps instead of a single-line text field to ensure your reps can only select a state. This will also enable you to easily filter by State Name and ensures there are no spelling variants. 
    • When the company gets created automatically (especially in the case of franchises & SMBs) the state is mapped incorrectly: This information is populated through HubSpot Insights which is a database of company information that HubSpot gathers by combining third party data, web crawling, and crowdsourcing. You can disable this functionality if you would prefer to have your reps enter the applicable information like state. 
    • We sell to anywhere from 5-10 industries tops, so the sheer number of industries included in the default industry dropdown is overwhelming & reps end up leaving it blank: You can edit/delete any of the industries with these steps that are not applicable to your team to narrow down the options for your team. 
    • When the industry is set automatically it's more often than not incorrect: This is pulled in through HubSpot Insights as well, I suggest evaluating if it makes sense to turn off this feature for more accurate data since you are working with franchises/SMB's. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any follow up questions.

- Chloe

KyleSelf16
Participant

SOLVE

thanks so much, didn't realize that we could change the field type as long as it was empty.