Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

MWilliams3
Contributor

Create workflow from form submission

SOLVE

Hi, 

I'm trying to give my customers the option of enrolling in a series of emails without me having to touch it. They will need to select what they want to enrol in from a form submission. 

Simple enough I thought. The idea is that they will move through and enrol in different ones as time goes by. 

I've become stuck on how to send the right sequence. If I use if/then for the contact field that is created in the form - then it's going to send what they've just signed up for AS WELL as what they've already done becasue it will be true for the new thing and the old thing. 

I'm struggling to see how I can get them to choose between 7 or 8 options and then have them just recieve what they want the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time etc.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MWilliams3,

By default, the first workflow would keep on running. There are however settings in the options tab of the workflow where you can choose to unenroll a contact when they don't meet the enrollment criteria anymore, for example.

(Feel free to keep the questions coming!)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MWilliams3,

By default, a form submission will overwrite an existing value. If you're re-enrolling a contact based on a form submission and the if/then branch checks which value the property has, it will be the most current one. The property won't contain the selections from previous submissions anymore.

Is this a dropdown or a multiple checkboxes property? Multiple checkboxes properties are kind of tricky as you would have to either send multiple emails or create branches for every possible combination.

If you share more context, I can help more.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

MWilliams3
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi, thanks for quick reply. I'd initially done it as a dropdown - and just thought I'd wind up with 5 or 6 boxes ticked. How do you suggest is the best way?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MWilliams3,

That would be 720 branches if I remember my math correctly. Not feasible.

It really depends on what kind of content you're offering. Here's what I usually recommend:

• Drastically simply to ideally 3 (equivalent to 6 branches) or at most 4 options (24 branches)
  • Dropdown select (one option) instead of multiple checkboxes ("Which option are you most interested in?")

With multiple select, contacts would either receive multiple emails at a time or you would have to create content that accomodates for every single combination.

I'd recommend simplifying.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

MWilliams3
Contributor

SOLVE

So a single dropdown box like this will overwrite each field every time it's submitted? If someone has submitted Option 1  before that sequence is finished and then selects Option 2, what would happen?

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 13.15.11.png

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MWilliams3,

By default, the first workflow would keep on running. There are however settings in the options tab of the workflow where you can choose to unenroll a contact when they don't meet the enrollment criteria anymore, for example.

(Feel free to keep the questions coming!)

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler