Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

CarlaNadin
Participant

Bulk Contact Look-Up

SOLVE

Hey HubSpot Community! 

I've been given a list of contacts (comapny name, first name, last name, job role) and I simply want to check to see whether they exist in our database or not. Without checking each one manually is there a way to do this in bulk? 

I could upload a new list which would tell me how many new records I have, but i wouldn't know which ones would I? 

How can do this? Thanks in advance for any help offered with this! 

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

Bulk Contact Look-Up

SOLVE

Hi @CarlaNadin 

If you were to import the lookup list, it would also create all the contacts that did not already exist. To find the ones that existed previously you would have to create another list the segmented contacts in the new list with a create date before the import - quite a lot of work, especially is you don't actually want the additional contacts in HubSpot once all this is done. 

The more scalable way to do this would probably be via API (or maybe Zapier) but working out/coding the solution would only really make sense if this is a valuable and recurring thing. 

If the list isn't too too big, the best way may be to check manually.

Hope this helps?

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

danmoyle
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Bulk Contact Look-Up

SOLVE

Hi @CarlaNadin. I'll second what @Phil_Vallender said. I'd also add that my thought would be to export current HubSpot Contacts, then compare those two spreadsheets. Possibly a v-look up as you mentioned? Otherwise, it's really just a matter of copying the email or name, pasting it into HubSpot and checking. Manual is my best idea. Tedious - maybe while you're watching the latest episode of your favorite show. 😊

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
danmoyle
Solution

Bulk Contact Look-Up

SOLVE

Hi @CarlaNadin. I'll second what @Phil_Vallender said. I'd also add that my thought would be to export current HubSpot Contacts, then compare those two spreadsheets. Possibly a v-look up as you mentioned? Otherwise, it's really just a matter of copying the email or name, pasting it into HubSpot and checking. Manual is my best idea. Tedious - maybe while you're watching the latest episode of your favorite show. 😊

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/
CarlaNadin
Participant

Bulk Contact Look-Up

SOLVE

Thank you so much! 🙂 

0 Upvotes
Phil_Vallender
Solution

Bulk Contact Look-Up

SOLVE

Hi @CarlaNadin 

If you were to import the lookup list, it would also create all the contacts that did not already exist. To find the ones that existed previously you would have to create another list the segmented contacts in the new list with a create date before the import - quite a lot of work, especially is you don't actually want the additional contacts in HubSpot once all this is done. 

The more scalable way to do this would probably be via API (or maybe Zapier) but working out/coding the solution would only really make sense if this is a valuable and recurring thing. 

If the list isn't too too big, the best way may be to check manually.

Hope this helps?

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
CarlaNadin
Participant

Bulk Contact Look-Up

SOLVE

Thank you so much! Yes, I see, that makes sense. I could then just vlookup in excel and see the dates. I'm hoping its not a recurring thing so I'll go with your suggestion and thanks again - this is super helpful! 🙂 

0 Upvotes