Tickets & Conversations

CGoodwinOlsen
Contributor

How to search old ticket IDs for a merged ticket?

SOLVE

When merging 2 tickets, the resulting ticket gets a new ticket ID.  Our issue is that the previous ticket IDs are not searchable in any way.  Customers will typically receive an email with the ticket ID via pipeline automation, and it is problematic when the customer refers to the original ticket ID that we have spend a lot of time to figure out which new ticket ID it relates to.

Does anyone have any good idea for how to retain the pre-merged ticket ID history so that it can be searchable?  

An example: customer contacts us via email and receives ticket ID X, which they also receive a confirmation of via email.  The same customer later calls us regarding the same case and a new ticket is created with ticket ID Y, which they may also receive a confirmation email with this new ticket ID.  As these tickets are actually the same case, they are merged and result in the new ticket ID Z.  We need to be able to search for Ticket IDs X or Y to navigate to Ticket Z.  

(We are using Service Hub Enterprise, as well as Aircall softphone integrated to HubSpot)

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CGoodwinOlsen,

That would have to be manual, unfortunately.

If you don't mind your tasks section cluttering up, you could create a ticket-based workflow that creates a task for each ticket containing the ticket ID in the task name. When tickets are merged, all timeline activities of both records will be merged and will appear on the new ticket record – so this task would be, too.

Tasks can also be searched by title, so you would find a ticket by searching for the task. However, you would be cluttering up your portal with tons of tasks.

I personally would probably make it a habit of creating a note including the ticket ID on the ticket record before merging.

By the way, very valid point. I'd recommend requesting a better solution in the HubSpot Ideas section of the community. One that doesn't require a workaround like the one above.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
RBozeman
Participant

SOLVE

Hey @CGoodwinOlsen,

Not sure if you have this problem still, but wanted to jump in here. 

HubSpot creates a new record ID for merged tickets by default. This is not always ideal. 

Insycle could help with this. You can instruct Insycle to collect and append all ticket IDs from the merge in their own custom field of the master record. I've attached a screenshot of what this would look like below, and here is our recent article about this topic. This gives you full control of data retention for any field for your major HubSpot objects - contacts, companies, deals, tickets, etc.

new-answer.png

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CGoodwinOlsen,

The HubSpot search includes notes, so a simple workaround could be adding/pinning a note to the remaining ticket record that contains the ID of the merged ticket, see here.

Cheers!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
CGoodwinOlsen
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks for your reply! Do you mean manually writing a note with the ticket IDs before merging or would there be a way to always have ticket ID log as a note?

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @CGoodwinOlsen,

That would have to be manual, unfortunately.

If you don't mind your tasks section cluttering up, you could create a ticket-based workflow that creates a task for each ticket containing the ticket ID in the task name. When tickets are merged, all timeline activities of both records will be merged and will appear on the new ticket record – so this task would be, too.

Tasks can also be searched by title, so you would find a ticket by searching for the task. However, you would be cluttering up your portal with tons of tasks.

I personally would probably make it a habit of creating a note including the ticket ID on the ticket record before merging.

By the way, very valid point. I'd recommend requesting a better solution in the HubSpot Ideas section of the community. One that doesn't require a workaround like the one above.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
CGoodwinOlsen
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks @karstenkoehler.  Good idea for a temporary manual workaround.

I've created an Idea for a better solution.  Surely this would be an easy fix given that the Merge action already logs on the activty feed storing the names of the tickets which were merged - how hard could it be to expand this to log the ticket ID? 😉

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

100% agree but there are also always other priorities. Fingers crossed.

If you considered this thread closed and want to make it easier for others to find the workaround, you can accept my earlier post as a solution. I'd appreciate it 🙂

Have a great day!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes