Social Tools

Burton855

Capture Instagram Information

SOLVE

Basically what I’m trying to achieve is to have a contact property that is the amount of followers a contact has on Instagram. I wanted to ask is it possible to create custom contact properties that gets the source data from an external site/location in this case the number of Instagram followers a given contact has as a numerical value?

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
Mike_Eastwood
Solution
Key Advisor | Gold Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Burton855 

Instagram exposes the data using an API (Application Programming Interface) which allows developers to write code to look up information.

So yes, it's possible but it would require Custom Code.

But...

Because of all the privacy issues there's been lots of changes in what you can - or can't - access. It looks like Instagram is shutting down access to most of the API access and/or limiting it to business plans.

So, if you (or your developer) did go the Custom Code route you'll need to research what access is still available and how long for.

Let me know if my explanation is too geeky (I don't get out much ;o)

Mike

View solution in original post

Mike_Eastwood
Solution

SOLVE

Sorry for the delayed reply.

According to Instagram the APIs (used to get the account data) are no longer available:

...Instagram Legacy API permission ("Basic Permission") was disabled on June 29, 2020. As of June 29, third-party apps no longer have access to the Legacy API. 

Zapier can't access anything other than posts.

Have a look at Fanpage Karma – you may get the information you want. But, from last time I checked, the way their API works it may be cost prohibitive.

As mentioned earlier the abuse by some companies has meant most of the APIs used to get user data have been shut down.

Good luck

Mike

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
Mike_Eastwood
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @Burton855 

Instagram exposes the data using an API (Application Programming Interface) which allows developers to write code to look up information.

So yes, it's possible but it would require Custom Code.

But...

Because of all the privacy issues there's been lots of changes in what you can - or can't - access. It looks like Instagram is shutting down access to most of the API access and/or limiting it to business plans.

So, if you (or your developer) did go the Custom Code route you'll need to research what access is still available and how long for.

Let me know if my explanation is too geeky (I don't get out much ;o)

Mike

Burton855

SOLVE
Hi Mike that sounds Awsome can you help me do this or know anyone that can? Not geeky at all!
0 Upvotes
Mike_Eastwood

SOLVE

Yes, happy to investigate.

Before we jump on a call to learn more about your goals I will get one of our team to look at the Instagram API and just make sure we can get the information you need.

To clarify:

1. you enter the Instagram Name into HubSpot

2. the custom code auto-magically finds out the number of Instagram Followers and populates a Custom Property in HubSpot.

Thinking ahead it would be ideal if that number updated automatically daily/weekly (because the number of followers would change over time).

Question:

What version of HubSpot are you using? e.g. Marketing Pro

We're based in New Zealand so it will be later in the day (our day) before we get back to you.

More soon

Mike

Burton855

SOLVE
That would be perfect please email me and would love to get this sorted. I can add the usernames of contacts but follower count is what I would need adding as a property that auto updates at least once a day
0 Upvotes
Mike_Eastwood

SOLVE

Hi @Burton855 

After Facebook's scandals around privacy they turned off most of the APIs (the method we use to pull data from Instagram). Even the APIs that return public data have been turned off.

However, we did find way...

No guarantees it won't be shut down in the future (Facebook makes the rules).

Keen to learn more about your goals (how you use the information) and if there's any other useful information we can save into HubSpot. I will send you a meeting link, and my contact details, in a private message.

Talk to you soon

Mike

0 Upvotes
winstonford
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Mike,

+1 Also interested in the solution.  I do see 2 other interested people replied as well, but I don't see a follow up.

Mike are you reading this 🙂 ?

This thread is marked Solved, and I do see that Mike had a solution, but I don't know where to find it.  

Thanks!

Winston

0 Upvotes
Mike_Eastwood
Solution

SOLVE

Sorry for the delayed reply.

According to Instagram the APIs (used to get the account data) are no longer available:

...Instagram Legacy API permission ("Basic Permission") was disabled on June 29, 2020. As of June 29, third-party apps no longer have access to the Legacy API. 

Zapier can't access anything other than posts.

Have a look at Fanpage Karma – you may get the information you want. But, from last time I checked, the way their API works it may be cost prohibitive.

As mentioned earlier the abuse by some companies has meant most of the APIs used to get user data have been shut down.

Good luck

Mike

winstonford
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks Mike!  I suspected it was related to an api change.  Thanks for the hard confirmation.

Best,

Winston

GregJukes

SOLVE

Hi Mike,

Can you share the workaround you found for this please?

I need this for Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.

I was originally using syntax in a Google Sheet, that would pull this data. And then used Zapier to search for it and update a contact property in HubSpot. But that method isn't reliable and requires a ton of Zapier tasks to do.

Curious about your solution.

Thanks

0 Upvotes
Respiravida

SOLVE

Hi @Mike_Eastwood & @Burton855 ,

I understand that you found a solution to this issue?

Could you post or send me how you managed at the end?
t.x. 

0 Upvotes
Burton855

SOLVE
Received and booked in
0 Upvotes