Sales Enablement

JonPayne
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Help! I’m being qualified!

We’ve all been there, you’re in the process of buying something - typically in real life - and you suddenly realise you’re in a lead qualification process. What are some of the best (and worst) experiences you’ve had as a lead being qualified? No shaming of people or brands please - it’s just for fun (and for us to learn).

*To learn more about this, check out the Developing a Lead Qualification Framework lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

61 Replies 61
Odyssey_A
Participant

A recent bad experience was calling a florist to ask about a service for an upcoming wedding (100% qualified) to then being told I had to send an email, which led to an email reply of 15 qualifying questions (many of which I told to the person who answered the phone).  Needless to say, I didn't bother with that company and moved on.

Same wedding: the caterer I called not only emailed to schedule a time to talk when I was available, but made slight adjustments to the menu and was totally willing to go 'outside the box' a bit to accommodate a special request.  They were over my desired budget by about 15% but I'm happy to spend it because they were so easy to work with and willing to be flexible.

0 Upvotes
ABui4
Contributor

Hello Experts,

Just a follow-up question after taking the quick lesson  Developing a Lead Qualification Framework - What are the best practices to set up HubSpot so as to make the best use of the lead qualification framework?  Please advise!

Thanks a lot!

Albus

0 Upvotes
Anshul69
Participant

This whole thread of responses is so interesting to read. I sometimes forget that I am myself am a lead for some other person or brand, and if just I observe my own responses on their lead nurturing process, I can better understand consumer psychology, and apply those realisations in my business process too. One conclusive thing that I've realised is nobody ever likes to be sold. They want to be consulted. Especially in my industry i.e. real estate. I have learnt that they need to feel that they are making the decisions themselves. They don't want to feel like they're being convinced. They want to feel the authority. It's their win, and as a agent my duty is to make them feel that they were worthy of winning. 

HAshri
Participant

nice 

0 Upvotes
MukhtarMeer
Contributor

The best experience i've had was by a small company that guided me and just called to inform me. From form, to call, to demo everything was smooth and invited I wanted more at each stage.

Worst experience I had was with a medical company that wouldn't stop calling me they were relentless and it got to point where I had to block them. 

JP6000

I download white papers like they're going out of style, so I'm constantly in dozens of nurture campaigns. 🤣 You can see over time what the strategy is in their sequences, which helps provide me with ideas about which techniques might be effective for us. When I do take a call from a vendor, I'm upfront about our budget and outlook right away, so we don't waste each other's time in the qualification.

Participant

really . 

0 Upvotes
MarcBissonnette
Participant

My most recent experience with this was with my car insurance: I was unhappy enough with my current provider that I reached out to a firm I'd been a customer of, years before. I gave them all my information, told them I was interested in paying a year up front to save the 1.5% or whatever on the rates and could they please send me a quote. 

In other words: Not only a hand-raiser, but an excellent fit, 100% qualified and ready to buy on-the-spot.

The next email I received was a temporary insurance slip for the wrong vehicle, wrong VIN and a quote very, very different from what was said on the phone. 

Ended up renewing with my current company that I was/am not satisfied with and will sign up with a completely different provider, next year.

If you're going to show your potential customer that you didn't listen to a darned thing they said: That "potential" will turn into "Not until the heat death of the universe will I buy from you".

-Marc

0 Upvotes
BSundaram11
Participant

I've come across quite a few cases I would term as worst from "Hand Raisers" because of the urgency from the marketing side, but were not Sales ready. In most cases window shopping or not ready for a purchase.

Best have been the ones who were an ICP and Sales ready, although theres been negotiaion on capability and costs.

0 Upvotes
GW7

How many times have you connected with a person on Linkedin only to then be pitched to and realise your in their sales process?

AThompson66

Funny you should mention that because I have definitely told somome that was trying to solicit me on LinkedIn that I am not their target buyer and therefore not a qualified lead haha!

0 Upvotes
FReyes0

Being asked "What's your budget" in the early stages of my due diligence. That just sends the signal that they only want my money. I usually walk away from these folks because I'm looking for a trusted advisor that will help me during my fact-finding exercise. Those that use the consultative method will get more info from me that will help them qualify me. Asking for budget from the start turns me off. 

KDomínguez

something that is a bit annoying when you receive too many emails but they do not have good content and it is very repetitive to receive the same email several times a day

0 Upvotes
PBrown1

I think we've all gotten 1775937 emails from that one company who really wanted to either talk to you, or just buy their product. Very annoying, and a huge turn off for the whole brand. The question is, are companies learning that consumers don't actually like being sold? #Inbound

AnaQuintela

I find a bit annoying to receive the typical "You left something in the cart" email notifications. It makes me feel overwhelmed and frustrated for not buying and instigated by the brand to be a better customer, I think it's a practice that some companies do that doesn't fit all types of customers.

0 Upvotes
LBJR
Contributor

I wont say the companies name but I was bombarded so much by emails I unsubsrcibed. I never even got the chance to really reply I signed up and they sent wayyy too many emails im in the middle of replying to the beginning of the sequence got hit wih 7 a day. I get it but dude relax

0 Upvotes
Mahmoodrizvi
Participant

yup

0 Upvotes
JCampos11

I've had a bad one that i'd like to share. Before arriving, I called a dealership to make sure they had a specific car. I told them I was x minutes away and he said great, he'll meet me there. When I arrived he was no where to be found so i walked the yard. He comes running out and tells me that he was expecting me to go inside and find him.

I'm a guy in my 30s and looking at EVs, something I shared during our phone call. He mentioned that all his EVs are under a recall and that he wouldn't be able to sell me any but wanted me to take a look at some of his sports cars (I was driving my bright red 2016 Audi A5). I told him that I wasn't interested unless it was an ev which is why im even considering getting rid of the Audi. He didn't seem to understand and we left. 

For about a week I kept getting emails of that brand's sports cars and convertibles. Talk about zerio situtional awareness.

0 Upvotes
EPaasewe

Interesting discussion and tactics given to identify the kind of leads we need to give more energy. 

0 Upvotes
Raúl-Suárez

In a ERP for a small company seeking, I try with some Demos. As some of you already said, some of those sales rep insisted on get their ERP´s even when We were not clearly the target for their value proposition. I think MQL proccess is not actually good refined in many many companies so I should keep learning and researching how qualify as goog as possible our leads. Thank´s for this training and thank´s all for sharing. 

0 Upvotes