Sales Email

KMelrose
Participant

Bulk re-subscribing of contacts who opted in after previously being opted out.

SOLVE

Hi Community,

I run a lot of webinars and I've just started using hubspot to follow the webinars up.

We have lots of contacts who have not opted-in on the first webinar they attend, and then have opted in on future webinars.

I use hubspot lists to manage webinar follow up calls I make to these contacts (becasue we still make sales to them, even though they're opted out).

This means that I want to both have contacts in the database as an opted-out contact so I can manage 1:1 activity,  and also be able to update their status to "opted-in" to our marketing comms when their status changes.

Is there a way to do this automatically or do I have to do it one by one when their status changes?

Thanks
Karl.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KMelrose,

Could you specify how you are currently keeping track of who's opted in and who's opted out? How do contacts opt in on a webinar?

Generally, it's best to work with HubSpot's email subscription types here. Subscription types represent the lawful basis to communicate with your contacts through email. Contacts can manage their email preferences so they're only opted in to emails they want to receive.

For example, if you have a subscription type "Webinar marketing", a contact can be not opted, opted in or opted out of that subscription type. They can always make that change through the "Manage preferences" link at the end of your marketing emails. In that sense, this is an automatic solution.

You can edit your contact's email subscriptions, in other words opt-in bulk update contacts to be opted into "Webinar marketing", for example. If a contact has opted out from a subscription type however, you cannot override their decision.

(As a side note, "subscriptions" make it sound like a contact would automatically receive emails when they're subscribed. That's not the case. A subscription opt-in means that they're eligible through this defined email "channel", for example "Webinar marketing".)

(My reply does not constitute legal advice.)

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @KMelrose,

Could you specify how you are currently keeping track of who's opted in and who's opted out? How do contacts opt in on a webinar?

Generally, it's best to work with HubSpot's email subscription types here. Subscription types represent the lawful basis to communicate with your contacts through email. Contacts can manage their email preferences so they're only opted in to emails they want to receive.

For example, if you have a subscription type "Webinar marketing", a contact can be not opted, opted in or opted out of that subscription type. They can always make that change through the "Manage preferences" link at the end of your marketing emails. In that sense, this is an automatic solution.

You can edit your contact's email subscriptions, in other words opt-in bulk update contacts to be opted into "Webinar marketing", for example. If a contact has opted out from a subscription type however, you cannot override their decision.

(As a side note, "subscriptions" make it sound like a contact would automatically receive emails when they're subscribed. That's not the case. A subscription opt-in means that they're eligible through this defined email "channel", for example "Webinar marketing".)

(My reply does not constitute legal advice.)

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

KMelrose
Participant

SOLVE

HI Karsten - thank you for responding, and sorry for waiting so long to thank you.

In the last few weeks, I've made headway. What we really need to decide is whether a decision to opt-in constitutes an opt-out, and then as you pointed out - use the subscription functioanlity to manage when people are opted in to specific communications. This one ended up being more of a practice change than a "stroke of the pen" change and we have to make some changes to the way we capture some of our data - hubspot forms etc. vs other ways - for it to work without a lot of manual intervention.

Thanks for responding - you pointed me in the right direction.

0 Upvotes