SEO

Sarahkunkler

New to SEO - Broken Link Definition

Hello! Thank you for this amazing resource.  I'm new (very new) to SEO.  I'm wanting to see if I am understanding broken links correctly.... I can google certain terms after my domain name and the search will populate an entry with a title and description.  But when I click it, it still takes me to what looks like my page design, just no content.  As an example, my page is "swamp fitness" and if I google search "swamp fitness 2017 promo" (something very outdated) the search will still populate that page (from 2017!) and meta data but clicking it goes nowhere.  Would this be what is defined as a "broken link" and very bad for SEO/crawling?

8 Replies 8
habibasharma

I want to rank my website emiratesevisaonline.com

How can i do it?

0 Upvotes
theinstaapk

A broken link, also known as a dead link, is a hyperlink on a webpage that no longer works because the destination page has been moved, deleted, or renamed. When a user clicks on a broken link, they are usually redirected to an error page, which can negatively impact user experience and SEO. Broken links are a common problem on the web, as pages are frequently updated or removed over time, and it's important for website owners to regularly check for and fix any broken links on their sites to ensure that users can access the content they're looking for.

0 Upvotes
Rmartin0

How to search expired domains from broken links? I have found that we can also search expired domains from broken links. I also need recommendations about how can i make backlinks from competitor sites such as emirate visa.

0 Upvotes
sfarooq

Yes, you can find it by using ahrefs. I also find a very powerful domain https://techbeast.pk/ by using ahrefs. 

0 Upvotes
Rmartin0

Hi

I read that nich edits are powerful backlinks. How I can made these backlinks for my site. https://lawnscanner.com/ 

Getseowebsite

Broken link is an error in a website that is not linked to any page. Website link is usually made to carry the traffic from one page to another page of the website. Broken link means the web pages are not connected correctly and a visitor can't see the information. So, it is important to clean the broken links to make sure that website is working well.

DavidDennison
Key Advisor

A broken link is a link that doesn't go anywhere and 404s (or another code). As @fab5freddy mentioned, you need to setup the correct 302 re-directs.

David Dennison

Search Engine Optimization

and Content Marketing Expert

mobilePhone
702-556-5062
emailAddress
david@daviddennison.com
website
https://daviddennison.com
fab5freddy
Contributor

Hi Sarah, 

I am as new to SEO as you are (I think). But did you remove that page 'swamp fitness 2017 promo' and did you place a redirect (302) on that page? I would start with that. You can also pass on any authority you've built up on your older 2017 page. I can imagine that a hard delete and no redirect can have you listed wrong in Google. 

I hope some more peeps chip in here. But if possible can you disclose a bit more on those pages and did you delete 2017 page. What do you mean by going nowhere?  The main page of your website?

Fab