Reporting & Analytics

Janae
Participant

Contact Subscription Overlaps

SOLVE

I am looking to create a report (pie chart) that shows how many contacts are in each subscription type, including any overlaps of contacts that may be in multiple subscriptions. Is it possible to do that? 

1 Accepted solution
jolle
Solution
Recognized Expert | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @Janae, thanks for reaching out! This is a really good question!

HubSpot surprisingly doesn't have a default report for tracking your email subscriptions by subscription type, but you can build our own with a quick workaround. If you're within the report builder, you won't see a way to filter contacts by subscription type.

But if you go to lists, you can! You want to filter based on the Email subscriptions category under Marketing Interactions:

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.39.15 PM.png

From there, you can select the specific email subscription type(s) that you want to track:

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.37.23 PM.png

I would create a separate list for each subscription type (and it'll be really easy to just clone the list once you have the first one set up). From there, you can head back to the report builder and start building a custom contact report.

Now, you can use the list membership filter to pull in only contacts on a specific subscription list.

If you want to pull all lists in at the same time, I would make a custom multi-select property called "Marketing Subscription Type." I would then create a workflow that appends the "Marketing Subscription Type" property with the respective value each time a contact is added to one of your email subscription lists (so you'd need a workflow for each "subscription type" value). Just make sure you have something in place to clear the property value if someone opts out of all email from you.

Now, you'll have a trackable contact property that should automatically update with each email opt-in. That should then allow for you to create a pie chart of all email subscription types for your contacts. You won't be able to see overlap here (since HubSpot is centered on the contact objects, not the subscription events), but you could get a sense for the distribution of subscriptions. You could also create any number of reports to track overlap between subscription types (i.e., "contacts whose "Marketing Subscription Type" property = "Value 1" and "Value 2", or ""contacts whose "Marketing Subscription Type" property = "Value 1" and "Value 3"). Lists would also function the same here and could help you create overlap lists.

I know that's kind of tedious, but hopefully it helps you get what you're after!! 

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
jolle
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @Janae, thanks for reaching out! This is a really good question!

HubSpot surprisingly doesn't have a default report for tracking your email subscriptions by subscription type, but you can build our own with a quick workaround. If you're within the report builder, you won't see a way to filter contacts by subscription type.

But if you go to lists, you can! You want to filter based on the Email subscriptions category under Marketing Interactions:

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.39.15 PM.png

From there, you can select the specific email subscription type(s) that you want to track:

Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.37.23 PM.png

I would create a separate list for each subscription type (and it'll be really easy to just clone the list once you have the first one set up). From there, you can head back to the report builder and start building a custom contact report.

Now, you can use the list membership filter to pull in only contacts on a specific subscription list.

If you want to pull all lists in at the same time, I would make a custom multi-select property called "Marketing Subscription Type." I would then create a workflow that appends the "Marketing Subscription Type" property with the respective value each time a contact is added to one of your email subscription lists (so you'd need a workflow for each "subscription type" value). Just make sure you have something in place to clear the property value if someone opts out of all email from you.

Now, you'll have a trackable contact property that should automatically update with each email opt-in. That should then allow for you to create a pie chart of all email subscription types for your contacts. You won't be able to see overlap here (since HubSpot is centered on the contact objects, not the subscription events), but you could get a sense for the distribution of subscriptions. You could also create any number of reports to track overlap between subscription types (i.e., "contacts whose "Marketing Subscription Type" property = "Value 1" and "Value 2", or ""contacts whose "Marketing Subscription Type" property = "Value 1" and "Value 3"). Lists would also function the same here and could help you create overlap lists.

I know that's kind of tedious, but hopefully it helps you get what you're after!! 

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
Janae
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you. I'll give it a try and respond with any follow-ups. 

0 Upvotes