Marketing Integrations

Brubnan
Participant

Moving from COS HubSpot to Wordpress

SOLVE

HI guys,

What will we really lose in Hubspot if we move to Wordpress + Plugins? 

1 Accepted solution
Joe
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi Brubnan,

This doesn't remove any functionality from the core marketing product, you can still track activities across your website using the HubSpot/WordPress plugin. It does obviously remove significant functionality from your website, for example:

• You won't have your SEO tools/keyword tool data from HubSpot built in to your web page creation
  • You can't use smart content/personalisation tokens on your web pages
  • You must embed HubSpot forms or CTAs on your pages, rather than drag and drop

There are other things to consider, namey from an overall SEO perspective. For example:

• HubSpot's CMS is typically faster than WordPress in benchmark tests. Moving to a slower website could have a negative impact on your rankings as Google factors in page load time to their search algorithm 
  • You would need to purchase an SSL cert from a third party to keep SSL on your domain if you're using HubSpot's included cert. Again, this is important to Google
  • If you were keeping your landing pages and blogs on HubSpot - just moving your website to WordPress - you'd need to have these on a subdomain, versus the subdirectory structure you probably currently have set up.

There's no problem with using HubSpot as a marketing platform with WordPress as a CMS - thousands of companies do it. But if you've been using HubSpot as a full CMS, you need to anticipate the functionality your website is going to lose, and the extra work/time that will be taken up by things you've been doing with ease to date. But your functionality within your edition of HubSpot remains unaffected. 

Hope that helps,

Joe

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi @Brubnan

HubSpot recommends that you work with a developer to recreate your website on another hosting company. It's important to note that HubSpot COS sites include files and attributes customized to our hosting platform, so you may not be able to simply copy and paste the HTML of your pages into another platform.

Listed here are the items within HubSpot that are part of your website that you should download and export when moving off of our platform. All analytics, contacts, and reporting data should be exported from each individual tool. Learn more about downloading your HubSpot data here.

If you have any questions further to the above I would advise contacting your Customer Success Manager / Partner Agency (whichever is applicable to your HubSpot account) for further details and process advice. 

0 Upvotes
Brubnan
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Roisin,

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Before I decide moving my sites from COS HubSpot I want to have a clear vision on what HubSpot Marketing features I have today that I'm goint to miss when using the Wordpress CMS (and their plugin marketplace) + Hubspot Marketing.

Thanks,

Bruno

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Ah I see @Brubnan thank you for clarifying! In which case you might find this comparison chart helpful: HOW IS HUBSPOT DIFFERENT FROM WORDPRESS? 

It includes a detailed breakdown of all the tools that are available in HubSpot that are and are not provided by the Wordpress CMS. 

0 Upvotes
Brubnan
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Rósín,

What I really need is a comparison between "COS HubSpot + HubSpot Marketing" AND "Wordpress + HubSpot Marketing".

I'm not considering to move from HubSpot as marketing tool, just as CMS tool, so I need to understand what I will miss at the HubSpot marketing side, if I move from COS to WP CMS.

The comparison you send me seems to compare Wordpress OR HubSpot, which may not be my reality. 

Thanks.

Joe
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi Brubnan,

This doesn't remove any functionality from the core marketing product, you can still track activities across your website using the HubSpot/WordPress plugin. It does obviously remove significant functionality from your website, for example:

• You won't have your SEO tools/keyword tool data from HubSpot built in to your web page creation
  • You can't use smart content/personalisation tokens on your web pages
  • You must embed HubSpot forms or CTAs on your pages, rather than drag and drop

There are other things to consider, namey from an overall SEO perspective. For example:

• HubSpot's CMS is typically faster than WordPress in benchmark tests. Moving to a slower website could have a negative impact on your rankings as Google factors in page load time to their search algorithm 
  • You would need to purchase an SSL cert from a third party to keep SSL on your domain if you're using HubSpot's included cert. Again, this is important to Google
  • If you were keeping your landing pages and blogs on HubSpot - just moving your website to WordPress - you'd need to have these on a subdomain, versus the subdirectory structure you probably currently have set up.

There's no problem with using HubSpot as a marketing platform with WordPress as a CMS - thousands of companies do it. But if you've been using HubSpot as a full CMS, you need to anticipate the functionality your website is going to lose, and the extra work/time that will be taken up by things you've been doing with ease to date. But your functionality within your edition of HubSpot remains unaffected. 

Hope that helps,

Joe

Brubnan
Participant

SOLVE

@Joe (or @roisinkirby)

Can you specify what do you mean by: 

Thanks!

Bruno

0 Upvotes
Joe
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

So right now when you create a new webpage, you have the 'Optimise' button on the left that pulls in keywords from your Keywords Tool, and helps you optimise that page for that/those keywords in real-time as you're creating the page. 

When you're not creating these webpages in HubSpot, you obviously won't have this. You can use a third party tool built for WordPress sites, but you're adding another manual step that isn't pulling in keywords from your keywords tool. 

0 Upvotes
Brubnan
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @roisinkirby,

Any updated on this discussion?

0 Upvotes