Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

rikmaris
Contributor

The max limit on a workflow

SOLVE

We send with workflows automatic e-mails to our customers. Now we have the issue that we maked an mistake and sending 4k customers an e-mail. 

Now are we wondering how to prevend this. Is it possible to make an maxium of enrolling in a day in a workflow. So we can stop after sending it to 100 customers? Do you have any idea's?

What we are doing:
When a deal hits the status DONE; after 1 day of no activity's in the deal we send an onboard e-mail with an workflow based on deals.  The e-mail is send trough the workflow.

What i want is an max or a limit on that workflow so we can have no more issues that all our customers get an e-mail by any mistakes with workflows.  In this case was on other workflow, a new one, that updated all deals. 

Does anyone have an idea? 
Because the send frequenty isn't the solution and i can't find anything within the supression of the workflows. 

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @rikmaris,

Aside from the email frequency safeguard, there aren't any native options for throttling or limiting workflow performance. Generally, I wouldn't recommend an approach like this. You'd still be waiting for a symptom instead of trying to eliminate the cause of a potential problem. In marketing and sales, we don't want a single email to be sent to someone who shouldn't receive it.

There are a couple of ways to prevent accidents like this from happening again:

Make use of workflow suppression lists. For example, you could build a list of contacts that have received the onboarding email before – or in the last 24, 48, 72 etc. hours. By always suppressing this list, you can avoid emailing the same contacts too often or with redundant communication.

Implement a four-eye-principle / quality assurance process and restrict workflow permissions to trained users only. Workflows should never be set live without another person fully checking all criteria, actions and settings. Everyone has a bad day occasionally. There should always be another layer of security.

Understand the 'enroll existing contacts' option. From what you've explained, it sounds like existing contacts were enrolled. You can always choose to not enroll contacts who currently meet the criteria, more context in the linked blog post.

Set enrollment triggers to be very strict – with the option to later loosen them. This is the most important item of the list. Workflows are usually a 'be careful what you wish for' situation. HubSpot will always find ALL objects that fulfill the enrollment criteria. For example, it's usually a better idea to limit enrollment to objects who have fulfilled a criterion in the last 24h (to make sure that you're not enrolling contacts who have done something a year ago). Spend a lot of time on these criteria. Your general challenge should be that a workflow doesn't enroll all of the contacts, not the opposite.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
rikmaris
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler 

Thanks for you answer, i have implemted most of your suggestions. 

The biggist change for me building a workflow is to be more aware and also creating more safety into triggers. 

Thanks alot!

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @rikmaris,

Aside from the email frequency safeguard, there aren't any native options for throttling or limiting workflow performance. Generally, I wouldn't recommend an approach like this. You'd still be waiting for a symptom instead of trying to eliminate the cause of a potential problem. In marketing and sales, we don't want a single email to be sent to someone who shouldn't receive it.

There are a couple of ways to prevent accidents like this from happening again:

Make use of workflow suppression lists. For example, you could build a list of contacts that have received the onboarding email before – or in the last 24, 48, 72 etc. hours. By always suppressing this list, you can avoid emailing the same contacts too often or with redundant communication.

Implement a four-eye-principle / quality assurance process and restrict workflow permissions to trained users only. Workflows should never be set live without another person fully checking all criteria, actions and settings. Everyone has a bad day occasionally. There should always be another layer of security.

Understand the 'enroll existing contacts' option. From what you've explained, it sounds like existing contacts were enrolled. You can always choose to not enroll contacts who currently meet the criteria, more context in the linked blog post.

Set enrollment triggers to be very strict – with the option to later loosen them. This is the most important item of the list. Workflows are usually a 'be careful what you wish for' situation. HubSpot will always find ALL objects that fulfill the enrollment criteria. For example, it's usually a better idea to limit enrollment to objects who have fulfilled a criterion in the last 24h (to make sure that you're not enrolling contacts who have done something a year ago). Spend a lot of time on these criteria. Your general challenge should be that a workflow doesn't enroll all of the contacts, not the opposite.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.