HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Pitfalls to Avoid When Creating Landing Pages

Creating and optimizing landing pages is a crucial step in your lead generation efforts. What's a common mistake I always see and try to avoid? Not having a second offer or CTA on the thank you page.

It’s a smart move to keep your primary offer nice and clean on your landing page and not confuse people with multiple CTAs. However, once you’ve given the promised content to the lead, you are wise to garner their support by asking them to do something whilst they are "hot."

I always suggest making sure you utilize the thank-you page to place another CTA or offer. For example, you could ask people to share the content via a Click to Tweet link.

*To learn more about this, check out the Creating Landing Pages in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

535 Replies 535
Mohammad-Naias
Participant

I think the Landing page should have a focus on one offer minimum of 2 CTA buttons for the same offer. Then the prospect will not confused. 
It should be user-friendly and Eye-catching.

AprilDMiller

I think a clean design is important when building a landing page. If there is too much content it can be feel cluttered at best or be overwhelming at worst for the visitor. An easy to find CTA allows the people consume additional content do at their own pace. 

0 Upvotes
SRada
Member | Partner
Member | Partner

A compelling landing page is simple. A landing page that is obviously just into numbers may shift your target results into the wrong way. Too many CTA's, images, etc are just flattering the audience.

0 Upvotes
LHill1
Member | Diamond Partner
Member | Diamond Partner

I like adding "now" or personalizing, like "Yes, sign me up!"

Tonycao
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

Landing Page must have a fast loading speed and CTA above the fold.

0 Upvotes
beckm
Participant

Lack of clear offer. Too much fluffy language, not enough punch and impact.

Also getting into the features and benefits too early.  Users can only absorb this if they already clearly understand the offer first.

0 Upvotes
HubSpotMember
Participant

I think it's important to have a good navigation afterwards, navigating the reader to the main page. I think it van be annoying only having the ability to read a landingpage not knowing how to get on the "real" homepage

carolinechang
Participant

When the content of the landing page (images, copy, etc) don't match the purpose of the primary CTA. 

0 Upvotes
RSands

Test

Get Outlook for Android
0 Upvotes
RSands

1 CTA is beneficial

0 Upvotes
TGarcia

I believe having more than 1 CTA could be really beneficial.

0 Upvotes
CHall3

Have clear concise CTAs and make sure you lead them down one path only

0 Upvotes
NS-Zoe

One major pitfall to avoid when creating landing pages is having a cluttered landing page with an unrecognizable offer. So many times websites try to offer too many things at once that the user ends up overwhelmed. Keep the desing simple, the wording simple and to the point. It should be very clear to the user what they should do next. The biggest pitfall is not comparing your landing page to the anatomy of a conversion-focused landing page, if you are missing one of those items you are setting yourself up for failure. 

0 Upvotes
MLeCornu
Participant

I've reviewed the performance of campaign landing pages and observed the best conversion rates come from:

• less content (you don't need to tell them everything about your company/product/service on one page)
  • one clear offer/reward in exchange for their details (eg Download Report)
  • form at the top of the page

In the past, I have produced landing pages with too much content and they haven't converted as well as the short, focused landing pages.

0 Upvotes
SHussain1
Participant

Use minimal content with clear images + clean CTA makes the best landing page

0 Upvotes
JamesC100

Always add alternate onwards options, never a total dead end.

0 Upvotes
NGantzhorn
Participant

When there are too many things going on with a landing page and call to action, it is confusing and makes me not want to continue with the product or service.  

0 Upvotes
MWilson2

Consise copy with a strong CTA that is relevant to your audience's needs.  

0 Upvotes
sfarshgar

In a perfect landing page, design and UX is important, and link building is the other important hook.

0 Upvotes
InboundDoug
Participant | Elite Partner
Participant | Elite Partner

I like to avoid being too wordy — I try to get the value prop for the offer on the LP across as succinctly as I can so I don't distract from the action I want the website visitor to take (filling out the form). Also, I try to avoid using too many modules on a form since that can be tedious for visitors--driving them away from wanting to fill the form out.

0 Upvotes
MPoynton
Participant

Common landing page mistakes are lack of CTA / CTA too far down on page, off-brand / off-topic content, and difficult navigation.

Managing a visitor's expectation so they get what they thought they would when they decided to visit your website, is one of the most important aspects of web design but often not one that is spent much time on. 

0 Upvotes