HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

How often do you clean your contacts database?

We’re in a data-driven era, where datasets are shared between marketing, sales, and customer service teams to increase organizational effectiveness and facilitate alignment. When you have high levels of inconsistent data, it’s not just one team taking the hit. It’s everyone. The entire company. The fallout from that bad data extends to every corner of your business that the data touches. With that in mind, how often do you currently audit and clean your contacts database? Once a month? Every quarter? Once a year? What does the process look like? Share your thoughts and current schedule.

1,596 Replies 1,596
BLatos

quarterly

0 Upvotes
Vojin
Participant

Every 3 months there should be a KPI evalution system in place tracking SMART goals and making everyone accountable. That being said, the database should also be cleaned in order to properly evaluate if our prospects in it are optimally qualified for our strategy and our messages. Inbound marketing strategies require consistent alignment of what are we sending and who are we sending it to. 

0 Upvotes
Nam21

quarterly cleaning my database

0 Upvotes
Aman_Jha

I have created automated workflow to clean the database and mark the non relevant Contacts as Non Marketing every month.

0 Upvotes
TayoOlajide

Cleaning your data base every quarter is good practice. Looking to implement this at work. Thanks for the post 

Singhjsa

I Clean my contacts database every 3 months to ensure it stays accurate and valuable for the work

OBunyula

Personally, I would aim to clean my contacts database every three months to ensure it stays accurate and valuable for my business.

EVilla34

Quarterly

SZorca

For me, twice a year. Mid year, and annual 🙂

STewatia

Regularly cleaning your contacts database is essential for data accuracy and maximizing value. A quarterly audit helps identify errors, remove duplicates, and update outdated information. This proactive approach minimizes the impact of bad data, ensuring better decision-making and improved business outcomes.

0 Upvotes
AEspinoza4

Once a year, I will do that activity more regularly.

0 Upvotes
TKrutilek

We review, update, and clean our contact database on a quarterly basis.

0 Upvotes
SadiaL

Clean your contacts database at least once a quarter to remove outdated or duplicate contacts, correct inaccuracies, and maintain data hygiene. Consider increasing the frequency if you observe a high data decay rate or regularly add new contacts. Utilize automated tools for efficiency.

0 Upvotes
SumanthN

Maintaining a clean and organized contacts database in HubSpot, or any CRM system, is crucial for effective marketing, sales, and customer service efforts. The frequency of cleaning your contacts database can vary depending on several factors such as the volume of contacts, how dynamic your contacts are (e.g., how frequently their information changes), and the nature of your business. However, here are some general guidelines:

1. Quarterly Cleaning: At a minimum, aim to clean your contacts database quarterly. This involves removing duplicate contacts, updating outdated information, and archiving or deleting contacts that are no longer relevant to your business.

2. After Major Campaigns: It’s also wise to review and clean your contacts list after major marketing or sales campaigns. These events can generate new contacts, update existing ones, or highlight inactive contacts that can be archived or removed.

3. Real-time Monitoring: For high-volume or rapidly changing databases, consider implementing real-time data monitoring and cleaning processes. HubSpot and other CRMs often have features or integrations with third-party tools that can help automate aspects of this process, like identifying and merging duplicates or validating email addresses as they are entered.

4. Annual Deep Clean: Once a year, conduct a thorough review of your contacts database. This includes reassessing your contact segmentation, ensuring compliance with data protection regulations (like GDPR or CCPA), and reviewing the overall health of your contact list.

0 Upvotes
anhhongpham

Regularly cleaning your contacts database is crucial for maximizing its value and ensuring accurate information. While the frequency may vary based on factors like database size and data acquisition rate, it's generally recommended to conduct audits and cleanups at least once every quarter or every six months. This helps prevent revenue loss associated with bad data and ensures that marketing and sales efforts are effective.

0 Upvotes
MMANSUKHANI

My current strategy involves a quarterly audit and cleaning of the contacts database to maintain high data quality across all teams. This routine includes identifying inactive contacts, segmenting or removing low-quality leads, updating records for accuracy, eliminating duplicates, and verifying regulatory compliance. We also review data entry practices to prevent the ingress of bad data, ensuring that our data-driven approach remains robust and effective across marketing, sales, and customer service.

0 Upvotes
RMagdy
Participant

It depends on the project however every month would be great just to feel it as a milestone

0 Upvotes
KTes

Quarterly or less depending on the project worked.

0 Upvotes
NHuynh26

I think a periodic review would serve companies best so every quarter to montly depending on needs of the company would be best. 

0 Upvotes
LVu67

As a current Master's student, I don't have a formal process in place for auditing and cleaning my contacts database, as my network is still relatively small and mostly consists of personal connections. However, I do see the value in regularly reviewing and updating my contacts to ensure I'm maintaining meaningful relationships and accurate information. My "database" is essentially my email contacts and LinkedIn connections, which include friends, colleagues, classmates, professors, advisors, and some professional connections I've made through networking events or online interactions. While I don't have a set schedule, I do try to review my contacts every few months, usually at the start of a new semester or after significant networking events. During these reviews, I:

• Scan through my email contacts and LinkedIn connections to identify any outdated or irrelevant contacts, such as former classmates I no longer keep in touch with or one-off professional connections that didn't develop further.
  • Remove any contacts that are no longer relevant or necessary to keep in my network.
  • Update any contact information that I know has changed, such as email addresses, job titles, or locations.
  • Make a note of any important contacts I want to follow up with or reconnect with in the near future.
  • Organize my contacts into relevant groups or tags to make it easier to engage with specific segments.

While my process is less formal and data-driven than what a business might require, I do find that this periodic review helps me keep my network organized, up-to-date, and focused on meaningful connections. It allows me to identify opportunities to nurture relationships and reminds me to stay in touch with valuable contacts. As I progress in my career, I can see my contacts database growing and the need for a more structured cleaning process emerging. Implementing good data hygiene habits now, even at a small scale, will serve me well as I transition into the professional world and begin building more extensive business networks.

0 Upvotes