HubSpot Marketing

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Components of an Optimized Email

In order to convert more leads from your email marketing, you have to first get your readers to open your emails, and click through on them. This is why, as email marketers, we’re all but obsessed with our open rates and clickthrough rates -- because increasing those metrics gives us more opportunities to convert our readers into leads.

So how do you optimize your emails to ensure you’re audience is excited to open and interact with your marketing emails? What advice would you give?

For example, one of my favorite ways to optimize an email is through personalization! Show your audience that you understand their problems and that you are there to help them solve them.

In that way, personalization goes beyond addressing the email to the person’s first name. Leverage the demographic and behavioral data you have about your readers by including it in your emails.

You can use their company name, their location, their role at their company, the pages they’ve viewed on your site, items they’ve previously purchased, and so much more. Be creative! Mass marketing isn’t effective anymore. Find ways to show your readers that you’re customizing your message to them.

*To learn more about this, check out the Understanding Email in HubSpot lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

479 Replies 479
CHall3

Personalisation in the subject line, Short subject lines and A/B testing to identify the best time to send them

TGarcia

agreed

0 Upvotes
SHussain1
Participant

Keeping it short 

NGantzhorn
Participant

Keep email short, personalized and relevant.

NS-Zoe

Make sure your message is clear

JChris
Participant

Work on your subject line

0 Upvotes
Lorrie
Member | Platinum Partner
Member | Platinum Partner

• Easy to read (bullet points)
  • CTA with image of offer
  • Compelling subject line that entices someone to read it
JamesC100

Short with a clear CTA, no one wants to scroll down off one page.

CPage513
Member | Elite Partner
Member | Elite Partner

Keep it short but sweet. Use personalization. A/B test.

sfarshgar

firstly personalization, minimal design and avoid to providing them with multiple call to action and offers

Blonzao1

A/B Testing!

TPrunyi

Being as specific as possible, so they know that you are interacting directly with them, and it isn't some irrelevant mass email.

0 Upvotes
JCaragher
Participant | Partner
Participant | Partner

I agree that personalization is important. I haven't tried emogis in the subject line yet. My niche is accounting firms and many CPAs are conservative. Not sure how they'd react to emogis. I will try it and find out!

FNasso
Participant

I believe a compeling and optimised salution and subject line is key, however you must make sure you are targeting the right group with the right message.... Therefore, a mix of personalisation together with the segmentation tool using lists as drilled down as possible would be the most effective way.

JenMalins
Contributor | Diamond Partner
Contributor | Diamond Partner

The subject line is key. Use your most enticing, important words first since part of the subject line will probably get cutt off anyway. I like to save best and worst marketing emails and analyze what caused me to click and what prompted me to hit delete.

MPoynton
Participant

Write great subject lines... they're your first hook and if they fail it doesn't matter how amazing your email is, it won't get read. 

KHernandez

Don't make the persoan have to scroll to much. Keep the visuals minimal and have the message get straight to the point. The last thing you want is for the audience to loose intrest. Make sure CTA is present.

Yshannon77

Keep it simple & relevant.  Bullet points are always easy to follow.  Don't forget a CTA.  

MGlenn

Short, have a great subject line, and keep the information in the email informative.

CGabriel2

Keep it simple and make it short and sweet. most people don't have the time to read a novel in your email. 

aagg

From experience, the best way to keep a reader enticed is just stick to the facts. If you’re not adding value you’re not adding time to the clock of your readers attention. Draw the reader to want to finish the thoughts you’ve written in the email. If you have a call to action strategically place it halfway through so they see what you want them to do. Readers are surviving or thriving and we want them to do the latter. Make the Email specific to your audience with custom details, add CTAs that will bring them back, or forward the message for extended engagement.