HubSpot Ideas

Jemma_L

Set required fields for manual data imports

User: Any HubSpot user with import permissions

Problem. Many large/global companies using HubSpot have required property fields, that need to be completed at a contact or company level. These required property fields are used to improve segmentation over multiple countries/product types/contact types etc. An example of these required fields would look like this.

- Country (of contact)

- Contact type (Patient, Doctor or Pharmaceutical)

- Product Line (ProdA, ProdB or ProdC)

These companies rely on having this information completed for each contact, so they can accurately see any patterns or trends, as well as track product division KPIs. Integrations automatically allocate the correct fields to contacts based on IP country, name of form/page etc, but any manually imported contacts rely on the user remembering to add country, contact type and product line to each spreadsheet. 

HubSpot imports already have the functionality to check for a unique identifier (like Contact ID) and prompt you to ensure first name, last name and email are all existing columns, in order for the import to take place. 

Jemma_L_0-1656948008863.png

Request

It would be great if this could be expanded upon, so the company can pre-define any additional property fields, outside of the First name, Last name and Email, so any data entered into their CRM meet their business requirements.

Use Case

As a Marketing manager

I want to ensure all manually imported data includes our three 'required properties' (Country, Contact type, Product) 

So I can confidently segment our contact data and supply our contact with the right content and the right time. 

Acceptance criteria

Given a HubSpot user has imported a contact datasheet

When they are directed to the mapping page

Then an error message will display if they have not included the business's pre-defined required fields. 

Thank you.

HubSpot Updates
In Planning
April 12, 2023 06:50 AM

Hi all, Alex from the HubSpot product team here.

We're currently in the planning stages of building what we're calling "saved import templates." This would allow an admin to create an import template that requires specific properties, and permission them out so specific users in their portal can only do a contact import if it has a specific set of properties, for example.

We'll update this community post once we have more information. 

10 Replies
danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

With so many updates to permissions and partitioning, this seems like a great next step, giving us the ability to keep data clean. 

DSzaloczi
Participant | Gold Partner

Fully support this idea! I think it´s essential for business units as well!

agirard
HubSpot Product Team

Hi all, Alex from the HubSpot product team here.

We're currently in the planning stages of building what we're calling "saved import templates." This would allow an admin to create an import template that requires specific properties, and permission them out so specific users in their portal can only do a contact import if it has a specific set of properties, for example.

We'll update this community post once we have more information. 

Jemma_L
Participant | Diamond Partner

Hi @agirard 

This is fantastic! I'm excited to see how this pans out. Thank you for the update.

danmoyle
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

Love that update @agirard ! 

LMaldonado
Participant

Looking forward for this update!

DavidSensedia

Waiting for updates!

ZokiS

Excited for this update

NKieran_Hyve
Participant

Will be great to set Email as a required field for imports!

elantz94
Participant

This is exactly the kind of request I asked HubSpot support about. 

And after a a week in conversation with them, they replied that the product development team is working on a feature called "Saved Import Templates". This would, for instance, allow an admin to create an import template that requires specific properties, and permission them out so specific users in their portal can only do a contact import if it has a specific set of properties. 

Let's see how this works once the beta version of it comes (if it comes). 

But I totally support your thought as mostly in a big company like ours where we deal with tens on thousands of contacts and companies, being able to have rich and clean data is essential for a good segmentation.