HubSpot Ideas

Kimberly

Get email notifications when a deal changes stages

We want to be able to get an email notification when a deal moves from a particular deal stage to any other stage. So for example in our pipeline, we would like to receive an email notification when the deal moves from a "new request" to a "prospect."

HubSpot Updates
Re: Get email notifications when a deal changes stages - changed to: Delivered
April 11, 2018 12:05 AM

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions / ideas. It's now possible to see when a deal changes stage, when a record is associated with another record, or if an activity has been logged on a record of interest through a new type of notification called "Follow" notifications. 

I have included a link to an article from our knowledge base below that details how to enable these here for reference: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/contacts/how-do-i-follow-a-contact-company-or-deal-record

In Planning
September 07, 2017 08:15 AM

24 Replies
davidrevis
Contributor

We also need to be able to do this. Am evaluation Hubspot but My sales director  and MD need to be alerted when a deal stage changes or when a deal is created over a certain value. Does this really not exist in Hubspot?

jasonforsyth

This is a must for Hubspot. We have no way of tracking when things move in the sales lifecycle. Are there plans to include this. I cant even have the mobile app notify me properly when things on a deal pipeline move, are added or are late. Can we understand if this is something that is available, coming or not. That way I can evaluate whether to stay with Hubspot or not

jwt

Agreed!  We need the ability to elect to have a notification sent when any Deal within our organization moves stages, or moves to a particular stage.  As a management user I want to be notified any time a Deal moves to a Win.  I previously had this functionality in other CRM tools.  Checking the sales pipeline periodically is neither convenient nor effective as it is not obvious what has changed since my last visit.  

CindyLopez

Agreed! We need to have the ability to know when a stage is being moved throughout the timeline. Currerntly we are having to go through each deal and see if anything was moved - which is very time consuming. As a management user I would love to be able to know when deals are being moved throughout the deal stages. 

SaBr

I couldn't agree more with this feature request.

Particularly when a deal moves to closed-won, it needs to alert a series of people to take their respective actions in a timely manner.

RuwanW
Participant

Hi All

I have managed to create a workflow that does this notification. However HubSpot doesn't have the functionality yet to add a link to the actual deal itself.

How to do it:

1. Create a new workflow and select a Deal Property as Deal Stage.

2. Select the 'Deal Stage' equal to and select the stage where you want to recognise the change.

3. Click Save

4. Click 'And'

5. The select Deal Property again and Deal Stage

6. Then select the 'has ever been any of' filter and select your Deal Stage. This step is what recognises the change in Deal Stage.

7. If you have an internal notification email, select the next action to send out the email notification to your relevant team.

The workflow criteria. Select your relevant Deal Stage to recognise the change.The workflow criteria. Select your relevant Deal Stage to recognise the change.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you guys have any further questions.

The only downside to this is that in the notification email I cannot include a link to the actual deal (I still have no idea why this is not a functionality in HubSpot, when you can include other types of Deal details, like associated contact, number of associated deals etc).

Cheers

Ruwan

GregS

Hi.  New to all this.  The above sounds perfect but how do I get a table with the list of deals and some details about these that have moved into the stage I am interested in?  So its about linking the list I can create with the above to the content of the email.  Also, how do I make this stream in when the deal changes stage rather than at a fixed point in time?  Cheers Greg

RuwanW
Participant

@GregS Good question.

If you go into Marketing > Contacts > Lists and Create New List, as part of the filter criteria (which are the same as those available for the workflow) repeating steps 4-6 above will yield you the same outcome.

Spoiler

4. Click 'And'

5. The select Deal Property again and Deal Stage

6. Then select the 'has ever been any of' filter and select your Deal Stage. This step is what recognises the change in Deal Stage.

GregS

Thanks - still having trouble getting the basic workflow to actually work.  Can someone contact me to talk through a few problems I am having?

Anna-T
Participant

We need even more than just a notification on deal stage changes. Our Sales Managers want to get notified about ANY kind of change in important deals. Isn't there a way to get notified about changes to a data record in general?

mariaengstrom
Participant

Yes, this is a must. Any kind of change would be of interest for the sales managers

troelsfeodor
Top Contributor

@RuwanW this sounds good, but wouldn't it trigger for each contact who matches this since workflows are (still only) centered around contacts? Ie. if a deal has two contacts both will trigger the notification email?
atramer
Contributor

Being able to include Deal information in automated emails would be great.  I want to be able to include data to our product team when a deal reaches a certain stage.  Which I can not find out how to do at the moment. 

carolenytander

Yes, please do!

RuwanW
Participant

@Anna-T the workflow above I'm pretty sure can be applied to other types of notifications, rather than just deal changes. Depends on the properties. So for example, if there's new updates about a company, then you would simply apply the above steps using the company properties.
Anna-T
Participant

@RuwanW Thanks for your help. I'm not sure the workflow is really a perfect solution. It's a workaround, but maybe not worth the effort. First of all, I have to specify exactly which change I want to look at (lifecycle stage 1 --> 2, or lifecycle stage 2 -->3), which means that I'd have to create one workflow for each lifecycle stage. Then the notification won't say which deal changed stage and it won't allow me to link the deals, so Sales have to go into Hubspot to check that anyways. And then, due to the fact that I'll have multiple workflows, I'll also need multiple lists in order to let them see which deals changet to which stage. Or am I getting this wrong? If this is how it works, then I think it's too much effort, it doesn't really make Sales managers' life easier. They will get "empty" notificatoins every day and then they have to click through multiple lists to see what's going on. Or have you had a different experience with this?

I think this is an even bigger topic. What would be really great to have is what @jasonforsyth mentions: 

- See which deals are coming (and this means taking into account not only whether they're in the final deal stage before close, but also how fast deals generally move through the pipe. If it on average takes 5 months for a deal to move from stage 1 to stage 2, then revenue that sits in the final deal stage can only be expected to close in 5 months, not tomorrow.)

- See which deals are late: a proper report/notification on deals that stay within one deal stage for too long

This I think would be covered by a metric on Sales Velocity, there's another idea about that on the forum: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Sales-Velocity/idi-p/21382

smnktng
HubSpot Product Team

conorflanny

This would be super helpful and would be great information to send out to the team/upper management when a deal closes for certain amount/win reason etc.

cfreriks
Member | Elite Partner

Why isn't this available.....

It's real crappy that we can't get notified when a deal is won...

Please put this on top of the lis.

Thanks in advance,
Camiel

aarongarcia1
Participant

Agreed. We need this yesterday.

I took a stab at it today but I couldn't figure out how to program it.

While it is possible to automate a workflow to notify a team member when a deal stage is hit, I can't automate it to notify again, for example if my company has a second deal with the same contact. Contacts can't be enrolled in the same workflow twice with these conditions for some odd reason.