HubSpot Ideas

AndrewinKC

Blog page expiration/unpublish

We have a compliance requirement to remove blog posts from our website after a set period of time.

It would be nice to add the expiration/unpublish functionality that we currently have with landing pages to blog posts. For example,

• Set expiration date/time
  • Set which page should be redirected to after page expiry

AndrewinKC_0-1654198304255.png

9 Replies
A_Wessolly
Contributor | Partner

Hi @AndrewinKC ,

while it would help your Compliance requirement, i am quite sure that it would have negative SEO Implications ( SEO spiders would constantly see Urls appear and disappear).  HubSpot would also need to implement a functionality that automatically redirects the link to the unpublished page to a different page.  The next question then is, which pages should that be, is this decision defined somewhere etc.

However i totally understand the reasoning behind the idea and i have upvoted it 🙂

AndrewinKC
Contributor

Totally agree on the SEO implications. Unfortunately, our compliance team and governing agencies don't seem to care about our SEO!

I think that by duplicating the functionality offered on Hubspot landing page (where you can specify which page to redirect to) would minimize the SEO hit.

Thanks,

Andrew

AKhan170

I think that by duplicating the functionality offered on Hubspot landing page (where you can specify which page to redirect to) would minimize the SEO hit as I have practiced it in cafe smokers.

Jnix284
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

@AndrewinKC just curious, what is the compliance explanation for having to term content? or what industry?

Here are a couple other ideas where this could be useful:

• when blog is used for "news" and the news has information that may become outdated (promotion, event, outage).
  • homebuilders, real estate, etc. where content evolves more rapidly and certain milestones are known/can be scheduled
johncobb

You have to duplicate the functionality offered on Hubspot landing page and it would minimize the SEO hit as followed by tenderizer needle tool.

tonypeter

Totally agree on the SEO implications  on nj. Unfortunately, our compliance team and governing agencies don't seem to care about our SEO.

A_Wessolly
Contributor | Partner

@tonypeter, i agree, compliance often approaches things with the attitude:"Doesn´t matter, if we want it  that, it gets done like that." So something like SEO is not something they care about, they just don´t get the implications. I would not tell them that they are responsible for SEO changes, i would tell them they their decision directly negetively implact the bottom line of the company. That is a lot easier to grasp than something as obscure as SEO.

But that is what they effectively doing with this, negatively effect the bottom line.

SChauhan96

I think that by duplicating the functionality offered on Hubspot landing page minimize the SEO hit as I have practiced it with K9nerds.

mkarsten
Top Contributor

Admittedly, blogs has been deprioritized for a while, even though we know they can be very powerful, plus we've had personnel changes. Anyway, while looking at blogs that were affected by recent changes, we found many outdated assets that could've been scheduled to unpublish, if we had this as part of the tool in the first place. And adding the redirections manually in settings is a bummer – extra steps for something that should be an integral part of blogging! Please help us manage our blogs with less effort, and avoid poor SEO from error pages for us and others sharing our content. One of those ideas you'd upvote 20 times, if you could.