HubSpot Ideas

Geo

Autocalculate margin & gross margin

If Hubspot was able to calcuate gross margin from margin and amount fields it would make the inputting of deals a much more efficient process for our business. It would also make reporting on these figures much simpler, its a basic requirement of any sales director and should be easy for Hubspot to implement. We currently use 2 custom made free-text properties to facilitate our reporting, it just seems a clunky and time consuming way of doing things.

HubSpot Updates
February 26, 2021 10:48 AM

Hey team - we do offer a margin field/calculation on our Line Item objects (i.e. the products associated with a deal). Does that help?

81 Replies
SWest1

Definitely needed. We really need to create reports based on not only revenue, but also margin (the most important number!)

CKnight2004
Participant

Agree- this is critical for our business. As one other commenter put it- without being able to tally Gross Margin against revenue, the reporting is useless and we run the risk of being in business for nothing.

I don't understand why margin is shown at the line item level, but not at a deal property level.

MattD
Participant

@ethankopit Ideally there needs to be deal property(s) that reflect the total margin of the deal . All the stakeholders I have are begging for margin reports but also things like workflows that send notifcations for big deals over £X margin. They want to see margin on the pipeline view.

At the moment our sales team are calculating the sales gross monthly margin and adding it to the deal names so they can see at a glance on the pipeline how much a deal is worth, they get comission on margin not on overall value.

Literally nobody in my company cares about overall deal value, it's all about the margin.

Hope that helps 🙂

SophieF

I need to know the overall margin of my estimate in order to decide on a discount or not.
(In addition, as the lines of the estimate with margin cannot be copied and pasted, we cannot even calculate the margin on a file next to it...)
The first feedback on the margin dates from 2019.  Is there any chance that this functionality will finally change??

LRiley9
I wouldn't bother with this thread going forward.
We will be moving to Salesforce because there is just no go-forward on what should be a priority for anyone providing a "sales CRM"
CJones19

Is there no further update on this? It is absolute madness that isn't available. 

Why would you limit the ability to report on margin (The most cruical thing in any sales deal), when the sole purpose of the software is designed to manage sales?

In what world are hubspot in?

LCorey
Participant

We are the same, we work on %GP Margin on our cost and sell of products and labour - this does't have a calcultion feature so we input in the products margin and cost/sell price and I did a dropdown choice for %GP used as this can vary by item and by quote - the projects team need a %GP per item which we don't want to appear on the quote but we need it per quote to pass over the deal - very frustrating that I can't get out of the system what we want.

ITrevett

This is so frustrating and so basic

StevenRolfe
Participant

I live in the hope Hubspot understand the need for margin management within the deal & reporting in sales management.  We moved from Salesforce and now use more spreadsheets than ever before, its a joke.  When our term ends we will just return to SF for Sales management as Hubspot is very por on this side.

SophieF

It's really unbearable that this subject does not move forward. Frustration, loss of productivity, source of errors etc... Sales teams are forced to copy the quote to a file to calculate the overall margin and play on the discount before putting it in Hubspot. When will this subject be taken into account? How many votes do you need???

ITrevett

To be honest this has made me look like an **bleep**.

I hated Salesforce and persuaded the compmnay I work for to switch to Hubspot.

And I can't even show the profit on a deal!!

Where is the response from Hubspot?

Why does the company ignore a 3 year old thread?

Hubspot - what is your reply?

ITrevett

"I diot" was turned into a bleep!

ILM

We decided to migrate away from Hubspot in advance of our next renewal.  I don't know why they are ignoring this feedback, perhaps they just haven't seen it.

Post link to this on their social medial posts and ask them to comment, that might work.  It will certainly help others from making the mistake of moving to a CRM that can't calculate profit.

Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook... post a link to this in their comments for a response I expect.  It's poor customer service.

CKane6

We also need this. As a reseller, our whole business is measured by our margin, not our revenues. Without this feature, we cannot accurately report on our earnings. Critical feature!

UlasK

How come does the Hubspot overlook this ciritical requirement for 2 years?? We need this feature ASAP as this is the most fundamental metric for %90 of the businesses. Please help us HB!

CP30

You have a fantastic platform which is sophisticated enough to manage a diverse range of business use-cases. This feature however is a 101 requirement of a next-gen CRM!!?. The foundation of running a business is to maintain and grow profit - which is the 'margin' of profit in every deal rolled-up. Your subscriber community needs to be able to at the very least:

1) See 'Deal' profit as a high level rolled up number in the deal (Logically this would appear in the summary info below 'Amount')

2) Report on Deal profitability via all the built-in reports and custom report building tools (as a standalone property)

3) Drive a margin/profit forecast which can be input via selecting this property in lieu of only the current revenue option (as a big % of industry sales forecasts are margin/profit driven not revenue driven (and therefore all reports and dashboards would be able to leverage this)

Some nice to haves:

4) Be able to see margin on the Deal properties as a gross profit % as well (we have built a custom calculation field - which requires 3 other calculation properties as a workaround - but it could be streamlined by becoming a standard HS property).

Please take the feedback of all participants on this thread seriously as you need to add this basic business metric to an otherwise great platform.

CJones19

We've now made the decision to move away from HubSpot for good. We've tried many workarounds to get the data we need from it but it's just not good enough.

CROFTi
Participant | Diamond Partner

Any Update on this one? Will GP% be a thing in HubSpot?

HubDoPete
Guide | Gold Partner

I hope HubSpot adds this soon, otherwise, we probably have to add it to the DoPricer CPQ app.

I'd prefer not to waste time coding a feature that hopefully will be HubSpot standard like deal TCV etc.

HubSpot PM?

HubDoPete
Guide | Gold Partner

Hi all, do you still need deal margins?

We just released DoCurrencies, a free native app to update HubSpot exchange rates until it's added natively to the platform.

So now I'm considering doing the same for deal margins.

Nobody has commented on this thread for a while.

If we share a public app to add ARR, MRR, ACV and TCV margin in deal properties, does anyone here still need it and would potentially beta-test?

best,

Pete