HubSpot Ideas

JFinestone

Adding "Other" option for a dropdown select property field (with manual single-line text input)

Why can't we add an option in a property list field called "Other" that allows you to input manual info?

For our sales CRM we have many custom dropdown select properties (customer & company information) that we use to build data on usage trends of our customers.

Ex. we are in the hospitliaty space, so we want to know which software/hardware systems our clients use. 

There are a number of industry leaders/high-volume use cases that make up the dropdown select fields, and are worth building into the custom property. BUT there are many instances where we enounter a one-off product. Problem is, we can build an option titled "Other" into this list, but not add any decsription info on WHAT the actual "Other" product is. 

I understand for marketing forms this can be done, but it can't be done by our reps/CS teams when logging internal data.

For now, our workaround is this: 

In Company Info we add a field select "Other (Enter Manual On Below Field)", and then have to create a separate field called "Other" with single-line text for the rep to write in the information.

This is obviously terrible for reporting, and hope we can have a fix!

57 Replies
KMiller20

I would love this option as well! 

TheHutch

Yes we really need this please! At the moment we have to create separate fields for "other", which as has already been stated is bad for reporting as we have to create a separate report just for "other"! This is very inefficient.

KFewings
Participant | Gold Partner

This would be brilliant. We're logging competitors and have a list of ten or so and then an 'Other' option. If another competitor regularly appeared in the 'Other' box, we would add them to the main dropdown and be able to report on them. Please bring this in soon! Thanks 🙂

KcmMatias

This is a highly usefull feature. We have multiple fields where we need consistency across rows (ex: contacts), but at the same time new enumerations can be added by users in real time because it's not feasible to capture them all in advance (ex: insurance, source, city).

Something like this would be great fit:

https://select2.org/tagging

Thanks

mIIwaukee
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Agreed, this is needed!

nc_3manfactory
Contributor | Diamond Partner

How is this basic form feature not already available?

sarahcoop

This would be super useful! Would definately need this function.

EBladt

Agreed! This would be super useful!!!

nbmeist

I could really use this function as well.

CourtneyMurdock
Participant

Yes would also find this extremely useful and is a pretty basic form feature!

Dave_Ritten

This needs to be done. I'm constantly updating dropdown select options. Preferably with an option in settings to allow users to be able to add additional options or not. 

pince101
Participant

Another vote for this. We have a dropdown field to indicate a client's referral source and currently need to go into admin->properties anytime we get a client from a new referral source, which (1) makes for a clunky and inefficient workflow and (2) requires that all team members acting on client data also have admin access to modify the property's values.

orkunturkey
Participant

another vote from me!

angelabiz

We would love to see this feature developed as well. It's fairly important to be able to capture free text field when you have the option 'other' ..

PNavarrete
HubSpot Employee

Meu cliente gostaria de criar 1 opcao aberta dentro da propriedade, seria muito util ver isso implementado dentro das propriedades tipo menu suspenso!

MMorsi

We need this basic feature badly! how is it not there already!

carl-sitback
Participant

This would definitely be useful, even though I understand the complexities and data hygiene issues it may create.

dambra
Participant | Partner

Please add this functionality, @hubspot!

ODudley

This would be amazing - I was just looking for an option like this to use and saw there wasn't one yet. 

BMorton12
Participant

This feature would be huge! This is a common place feature on so many other platforms.