HubSpot Academy Educational Examples

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Inbound Thread: De-mystifying the HubSpot Report Builder Q&A

Hi everyone 👋 👋 👋

Thank you for checking out the De-mystifying the HubSpot Report Builder session! 

I'll be pasting all my answers from the session's Q&A here. I'll also be answering any follow-up questions regarding reporting that may pop up as you continue to attend sessions throughout the event.

In the meantime, check out some of the resources I mentioned during today's session: 

Additionally, keep an eye on this page for details on the upcoming demo of datasets, put on by @ariplaut!

12 Replies 12
Marndez
Participant

Hi, I am still tryin to understand how I can use cross object or custom objects to support ABM reporting, specifically to show e-mail engagement by company instead of contact. I posted this a few times in the Q&A and it was upvoted to the third highest  position in the thread but I still have not heard if there is any sort of a workaround for this. Being able to have automated ABM reports will be so crucial for me as we have a small marketing team. 

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Hi @Marndez ,

Thank you for your patience! There's been some technical difficulties with the recording of the session, which has prevented me from re-accessing the Q/A, so thank you for reposting here!

Thankfully, I have a report that could help report on your ABM efforts. 

Data Sources: Contact & Company

Visual: Table 

Properties: Name (Company), Number of Pageviews (Contact), Number of Form Submissions (Contact), and Marketing Email Opened (Contact)

It will create a report like this (demo data):

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 3.04.36 PM.pngThis can help you identify some of your most engaged companies. Then you could customize using filters. Hope this gets you closer to the perfect report! 

0 Upvotes
JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Took another look into this and another good report for just generally seeing "Target Accounts Viewing the Website This Month" would be the following:

• Data sources: Company (primary), Contacts, Web Activities and Blog posts
  • x-axis: Name (company)
  • y-axis: Count of page views (web activities)
  • Breakdown by: Target Account (if you're using that to property for ABM activities in HubSpot)

Then any relevant filters. There's also 26 other ABM-specific reports in the reporting library that could potentially be customized to help you see how your efforts are paying off! 

0 Upvotes
Sanna_E
Participant

I would like to measure specific form submissions and see how it has performed during set dates - as a line. Would like to use that as data source with deals as the second data source. So - having reports for forms that's not based on create date but dates the form was submitted on. I want to make dashboards with reports like that.

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Hi @Sanna_E ! Good question - forms is an upcoming data source that will make reports like this a breeze. Until then, we're likely going to need to use a contact date property option.

Have you tried building a report that incorporates Recent conversion date (the date the contact last submitted a form) with Recent conversion (the last form the contact submitted)?

0 Upvotes
JMPruett
Participant

Can you talk through Funnel Reporting Best Practices a little bit? 

The out of the box options are either show people who have gone through all of the set stages in order or show people who have gone through any stage. Neither gives me a full picture of the funnel. 

Through all, looks pretty and very funnel like, but it doesn't work if your lifecycle takes longer than the time period, because it doesn't show if they were an earlier stage last period but are now moving, which gives us low numbers. 

Through any captures all movement in the time period, but doesn't always end up funnel-shaped and make looking at conversions between stages look strange. 

What are some best practices for reconciling this?

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Hi @JMPruett ,

Thank you for the question! 

It seems like a funnel report may not be the best fit, given how unique each customer's journey seems to be.  I would look at the multi-touch attribution reporting functionality (depending on your subscription) to view credit to go back to marketing/sales based on having (or had) certain lifecycle stages.

The real solution for this could also be a full customer journey map report, i.e. showing everything from when someone first visited the site all the way through to Evangelist status, and everything in between.  HubSpot does not have anything like that (right now), but do we integrate with systems that could provide that functionality. If that sounds more along the lines of the type of report that you're trying to build, I would look at some of our integration options here! 

0 Upvotes
KBenishek

is there a good way to measure conversion based on custom contact properties and not deals? example - I want to measure conversion based on Lead Source 2 (similar to original source) over time and see how those converted by funded stage

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Hi @KBenishek !

At the moment, funnel reports and attribution report are based solely on HubSpot properties. So, contact funnel reports are configured around lifecycle stages and deal funnel reports around deals stages. As mentioned in Brian's post above, the attribution team is about to add a lot more properties to customize your attribution reports, but that's still on the roadmap.

All that said, that doesn't mean your question, or at least part of your question couldn't be answered with a custom report! So just to confirm, is lead source a custom property? Could you clarify how you're tracking funded stage if not through deals? I want to make sure I've got a better picture of what you're trying to build before giving too many guided recommendations (and potentially missing the mark)!

If you could follow up with that info here or in a personal message on Community, I can dig in a little more and see what we can do 🙂 

0 Upvotes
brianserocke
Contributor | Platinum Partner

Great work on the presentation, @JorieMunroe. Thanks for unloading all of that knowledge on us. Looking forward to seeing the follow-ups on the Q&A questions. 

Adding to the follow-up, it would be awesome to learn more about if and when dashboard filters will be able to influence custom reports. The inability to use a date range dashboard filter to update custom reports added to that dashboard alongside single-object or other reports has been challenging. 

And if you're willing to take questions about attribution reports - is there anything on the roadmap for allowing custom properties to be used as filters in attribution reports instead of the limited set of default HubSpot properties?

JorieMunroe
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

Hi @brianserocke 👋👋👋

Great questions! Chatting with our Product Manager of Dashboards was first on my list of things to do this AM.

This is the insight I have:

• While it's a little too soon for an exact time estimate on when dashboard filters will influence custom reports, it's something the dashboards team is actively working on and looking to get out to customers as soon as possible. 

Also followed up with the Attribution PM, Davis, and just heard back! It looks like their first step is bringing more standard property filters and dimensions (he said 80+!) into attribution reports. This step they're aiming to complete by the end of Q1 2022. After they've got those properties in the builder and running, they'll start assessing others! 😄

brianserocke

Thanks for getting back to me @JorieMunroe. Much appreciated! We'll keep an eye out for new filters in the attribution report builder and hope dashboard filters find their way into the dashboards team's pipeline soon.