Email Marketing Tool

Carys

My email has lines through it in Outlook?

My email background colour is dark blue, the body is white, when the email comes through in outlook its got dark blue lines through the body? Any ideas on how i fix this?

11 Replies 11
StineBjoern
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

Hi there

I have experienced the same. And as every body else writes: it is rather random where the lines show up.

I have solved my problem by setting padding in sections to zero, and only use padding around content (text). And I have also removed unwanted lines by putting as much content as possible into the same section.

Hope this will help you.

Best regards Stine

0 Upvotes
AnonymousPanda

I found a solution that worked for me and removed the white lines from around my images.
Basically, when exporting the image from Photoshop for web you get an option to change the width and height in pixels. I made sure that the width was always the lowest number before it also effected the height.

For example if my image dimensions are 50px width by 33px height, but taking the width down to 49px didn't change the height when 'keep proportions' is on, I'd export it at that setting and it would work, removing the lines.

I hope that makes sense!

0 Upvotes
BradN
Participant

I have the same issue using the WYSIWYG.  Screen shot attached.  In this case there is a button.  This happens almost weekly to me, with or without a button.  I've tried deleting and reinserting content boxes, changing the order of the content boxes.  It's very random and not a consistent fix.

While Outlook my be the end cause, HubSpot is a heavy B2B platform where most email recipients are Outlook users.   HubSpot should look into this and ensure the drag and drop functionality works in Outlook.

BradN_1-1637162326110.png

mike-ward
Key Advisor

The joys of Outlook... if it makes anybody feel better who isn't a regular Outlook user, I'm always noticing emails that render terribly in Outlook from $multi-billion companies. So don' feel like you're alone 🙂 

0 Upvotes
BradN
Participant

Yes, Outlook is a pain to design for.  But I think we could say the same for Hubspot 😊.  This is a know issue reported 7 months ago.  There IS and issue with the WYSIWYG editor and how it renders the HTML that is a problem in Outlook.  There is no one fix that I've found.  HOURS of trial and error.

0 Upvotes
keith_sayer

I had this appear on under buttons in the drag-and-drop editor for me. I saw this article with the rather weird suggestion to change font size: https://www.emailonacid.com/blog/article/email-development/how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-lines-in-outlook-...

In my case, my buttons were using 16 px font, so I dropped it down to 15 px. This solved my line issue in Outlook.

So, I would recommend trying to bump your font size up or down to see if that helps.

LorraineJ
Participant

Yes, it is weird, but I also dropped the font of the button and it removed the line. Removing a whole text box did not make a difference. In the process of removing and re-inserting the text  box, I did however get the line to be in a posistion that is not obstructive.

0 Upvotes
mike-ward
Key Advisor

Hi @Carys ,

Is this only in Outlook? Have you run it through the testing tools in HubSpot to confirm which versions of Outlook this is with (it may well be with all of them)? Are you using a custom HTML email or using the drag and drop builder?

Outlook emails always render differently, usually in very obscure ways like the one you've discovered. Generally you may need to duplicate your background styles in the tables, like this (if you're coding the email template in HTML):

<table bgcolor="#000000" style="background:#000000;">
  <tr>
    <td>The content of the cell goes here.</td>
  </tr>
</table>

And this article may give you some pointers related to Outlook.

Otherwise, it may be easier to modify your design to have a white background. It depends on your appetite for spending potentially a lot of time fiddling around and testing to get it to work. The joys of email design... 🙂

Carys

Thanks Mike, I'm using a drag and drop template, does it make any difference? 

0 Upvotes
mike-ward
Key Advisor

Hi @Carys ,

If you're using the drag-and-drop builder then you have quite limited options for this. As you've probably seen you don't really have many options to change and you can't go in and edit the code (nor would you want to, to be honest, unless you're very confident hand-coding emails in HTML).

A screenshot would be useful if you can provide? The only other thing I can think to try would be to try changing the top spacing and bottom spacing to zero if you haven't already.

Annotation 2020-02-28 122022.png

Or don't change the background colour to dark 🙂

Thanks,

Mike

0 Upvotes
mike-ward
Key Advisor

One more thought. Check the row background if it's a row with an image or other elements in. Make sure that is set to white.

See here: https://youtu.be/LzXP8gz8SF4

0 Upvotes