Content Marketing

kara_susvilla
Inbound Professor
Inbound Professor

What's your creative process?

Having a process also allows you to think of ideas that may not be easily apparent. What's one thing you do to help come up with new ideas? How can you incorporate this into a repeatable framework (for yourself as well as those you collaborate with)?

*To learn more about this, check out the Generating Content Ideas lesson via HubSpot Academy. 

2,202 Replies 2,202
shi1234

I have a naturally automatic creative process. Ideas will usually come to my attention when I am not thinking about generating them. Also, seeing unique things, objects, pieces of art, or scenarios in real life will help me to create ideas for content.

0 Upvotes
MCoelho17
Contributor

When I intend to undertake or develop something new, I seek out places where I can find assistance in shaping my preliminary ideas. Typically, I engage in reading books and having casual conversations with people. I find that forcing the issue or directly asking for input doesn't yield much help. I maintain a positive mindset and visualize that the idea is already in my hands and realized. I meditate regularly, seeking moments of silence to foster creativity. A healthy diet is crucial; it contributes significantly to generating new ideas and overall well-being.

0 Upvotes
XWang6

One thing I do to generate new ideas is to regularly engage in brainstorming sessions. During these sessions, I set aside time to explore different topics, themes, and angles related to the content I want to create. I use various techniques such as mind mapping, free writing, and word association to stimulate creativity and uncover fresh perspectives.

To incorporate this into a repeatable framework for myself and collaborators, I would establish a schedule for regular brainstorming sessions. This could involve weekly or bi-weekly meetings dedicated specifically to generating ideas for upcoming content. During these sessions, I would encourage open communication and collaboration, inviting team members or collaborators to contribute their thoughts and suggestions.

Additionally, I would create a structured format for the brainstorming sessions to ensure efficiency and productivity. This might include setting clear objectives for each session, providing prompts or prompts to guide the discussion, and documenting all ideas generated for future reference.

By incorporating regular brainstorming sessions into the content creation process, I can foster a culture of innovation and creativity within my team or collaborators. This not only helps generate a steady stream of new ideas but also ensures that everyone feels valued and invested in the content creation process.

0 Upvotes
KatieK2

I do a brain dump, or talk with someone about my ideas. Or I find picture inspiration from the internet/ other social media postings. 

LAnderson85
Contributor

Sometimes, I talk with a friend or my husband about what I am trying to write or create (since I'm a one-person operation so far). This "thinking out loud" helps bring about that "lightbulb" moment. Regarding the process that was outlined in the lesson, I can picture myself following each step while listiing ideas on a doc to refer back to. Or I imagine a team would effectively follow this flow while recording ideas either on a white board or projected on the wall to where they can be saved. I also think some aspects of this process (particularly the gathering of raw material) would apply to the consultation phase when speaking with a client about their vision of what their content might entail. 

0 Upvotes
lqureshi8

I like to look at the idea from several different viewpoints to give me the best insight

Ashritha_S

I come up with new ideas when I particularly look at the problems and new trends in society. It helps me to bring up a new topic or idea to discuss.

VHolsinger

My creative process involves taking a small break from my laptop. I look at my bookshelf and find inspiration from the books on it. 

JZarco

One thing I do to help me come up with ideas is observing others work and tihnking in what way can it be different or improved by. And so then I'll try to recreate not the same thing, but the same concept of it. Looking at other content can be very helpful to come up eith new ideas for either your social media page, business or ad campaigns. 

LOchoa8

come up with ideas and develop from there. Edit them at the end

DGMAGNA23

I speak to my piers about their day to get an insight into the type of working they are doing, provides a valuable insight into the pain points of customers.

I read industry material, whats happening in the market we serve and write down whats relevant.

NickMorgan

I have two main strategies for coming up with ideas:

The first is just start writing things down. It can be a list, a rambling paragraph, or whatever. It stems from advice I got from a playwriting professor who encouraged students to "write the bad play first." This essentially means start writing without worrying about nuance or subtly or elegance - just get words on a page. Then as you swift through those words you're likely to discover nuggets of ideas that can be extrapolated on and refined.

The second strategy is that I schedule a couple of half-hour walks every week to just let my mind wander (it's important to no listen to music or podcasts or anything else during this time).

0 Upvotes
JOgle0

the main thing i like to do is go for a late night drive it helps clear yur head and le the thoughts flow

0 Upvotes
FEYZ

What I do is first get an overview of what I am aiming to achieve, write down my goals, understand my target audience, then I get down to  brainstorming and writing down the ideas as it comes to my head. after a while, I then getone I know i want to work with 

0 Upvotes
AAcosta7
Participant

The creative process we have within the organization is based on corporate objectives. You review what the main message you want to share is, and then the specific tactics to achieve it are reviewed. The team develops its daily activities and projects based on what is assigned.

0 Upvotes
PatchTBBPO

As a marketing employee, I do content writing mostly. But I'm not really good at it thus taking this course. But two things that help me do content writing and those are brainstorming and drafting. It helps me create a solid understanding with the things i have to consider when writing a content. I brainstorm ideas and key points that I want to cover in the content. Creating an outline or a list to organise my thoughts. And then I begin drafting the content using the clear outline or list I created. I write freely as long as the goal is to get all of my ideas written so that I can revise them later.

CamilleB9

My creative process is admittedly more of a "when inspiration strikes me," but I will say I am an avid consumer of different forms of media. Sometimes when I'm watching youtube videos, tiktoks, or even movies, inspiration strikes me and ideas begin to flow. Through this, I've developed a good habit of documenting when I have these "eureka moments" in a notes app on my phone. In the future, I plan to have brainstormng sessions to make my idea process more intentional. 

hs23

One thing I do to help come up with new ideas is to regularly engage in brainstorming sessions. During these sessions, I jot down any ideas that come to mind, no matter how unconventional or unrelated they may seem at first. I find that this free-flowing approach often leads to unexpected connections and sparks of creativity.

To incorporate this into a repeatable framework for myself and collaborators, I would suggest the following steps:

1. Schedule Regular Brainstorming Sessions: Set aside dedicated time for brainstorming sessions on a recurring basis. This could be weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, depending on your preference and availability.

2. Define Clear Objectives: Before each brainstorming session, clarify the specific goals or challenges you're looking to address. This could be generating ideas for new content topics, solving a particular problem, or exploring innovative approaches to a project.

3. Create a Stimulating Environment: Choose a conducive environment for brainstorming, whether it's a physical meeting space or a virtual collaboration platform. Encourage participants to share ideas freely and without judgment.

4. Use Creative Techniques: Incorporate various brainstorming techniques to stimulate creativity and encourage out-of-the-box thinking. This could include mind mapping, word association, role-playing, or visual brainstorming exercises.

5. Capture Ideas: Provide a means for participants to capture their ideas during the brainstorming session, whether it's through sticky notes, digital note-taking tools, or a shared document. Ensure that all ideas are documented for future reference.

6. Review and Refine: After the brainstorming session, review the ideas generated and identify those with the most potential or relevance to the objectives defined earlier. Refine and expand upon these ideas further as needed.

7. Implement and Iterate: Take the most promising ideas and incorporate them into your projects or initiatives. Track their progress and iterate based on feedback and results.

By establishing a repeatable framework for brainstorming sessions, both individually and collaboratively, you can consistently generate fresh ideas and foster a culture of innovation within your team or organization.

WIkechukwu
Participant

By gathering information, insights from data gotten, then understanding it and getting clarification, then thinking deeply about the situation, after that pick up the best idea for situation approach.

0 Upvotes
GADENIYI

One thing I do to help come up with new ideas is to regularly consume content from various sources such as industry publications, blogs, podcasts, and social media platforms. I also engage in brainstorming sessions with colleagues, where we discuss trends, challenges, and opportunities in our field.

To incorporate this into a repeatable framework, I could establish a regular schedule for idea generation sessions, perhaps on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. During these sessions, I would encourage team members to share insights and observations from their content consumption and brainstorm collectively. Additionally, I could create a shared document or digital space where everyone can contribute ideas and insights asynchronously, allowing for continuous collaboration and idea sharing.

0 Upvotes