CRM

amandabrunish
Contributor

How to track offline activities like trade shows?

SOLVE

Perhaps the holiday season has my brain fried, but I am struggling a bit to figure this out.

We attend trade shows and do lunch & learns which provide valuable leads for us (often in large bulk).  Sometimes these contacts will already be in HubSpot and sometimes they are new.  What is the best way to track this and also make sure we are being alerted in a way to follow up?

For example, if it is a new contact, it isn't too hard to track.  However, if it is an established contact in our system that we reconnected with, what would be the best way to document this?

I appreciate your insights! 

1 Accepted solution
Phil_Vallender
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

Hi @amandabrunish

Hmm, it could be tricky to cover all eventualities. 

Depending on the type and size of the event, one method could be to pass all leads through a form on a landing page. If this landing page were assigned to a campaign, all leads, including exsiting ones, would be tagged with the campaign as part of the new campaign analytics that HubSpot has in beta currently. 

Another option, if bulk importing (i.e. creating contacts from offline sources) would be to create a custom multi-select property to which you add each event as it happens. This could be set at the point of import, but is perhaps more open to error. 

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. 

Good luck!

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
shawnpatrickx

SOLVE

FYI we had this issue to and this is how we set it up (works great!). Create custom properties for "Lead source" and "Lead description" and then we setup up those fields as drop down menus with the name of our shows pre-populated to avoid human error. We then select the type of marketing campaing event for the source, like "Booth lead" or "Hosted party event" and then in the description field we add the show name and year to the drop down list. 

GWoodard

SOLVE

Ideally, we'd like to "upload a spreadsheet" of attendees to a trade show or webinar and have the contact "tagged". 

In MailChimp, I upload attendees and have an Event Name field.  I flag the upload to "Update" any records where email addresses match.  That way the Event Name field is the most recent event I've seen them at.  I also Tag all users uploaded with the Event Name, so I have a running list of Tags for all events each user has attended.

I'd like a similar process in HubSpot.   

Does your method allow multiple events in Lead Source and Lead Description or just the most recent?

Thanks,  

laceyg
Contributor

SOLVE

This is the challenge I am facing as well. It's easy to track sourced, but influenced for offline programs is a workaround. I would really expect an option for managing this without having to create a landing page for everything. 

Phil_Vallender
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @amandabrunish

Hmm, it could be tricky to cover all eventualities. 

Depending on the type and size of the event, one method could be to pass all leads through a form on a landing page. If this landing page were assigned to a campaign, all leads, including exsiting ones, would be tagged with the campaign as part of the new campaign analytics that HubSpot has in beta currently. 

Another option, if bulk importing (i.e. creating contacts from offline sources) would be to create a custom multi-select property to which you add each event as it happens. This could be set at the point of import, but is perhaps more open to error. 

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. 

Good luck!

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
0 Upvotes
amandabrunish
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you, Phil.  This gives us a starting point for discussion!

0 Upvotes