CRM

reasonover

How to sort contacts by associated company?

SOLVE

In a contact view, I can add column "Associated Company" but I cannot sort my contacts in alphabetical order by "Associated Company". How can I do this? I'd like to bulk add street addresses to my contacts, and that would be the easiest way to sort. But I can't!

1 Accepted solution
Josh
Solution
Recognized Expert | Platinum Partner

SOLVE
Spoiler
Hi @reasonover,

The best case scenario here would be to add a filter for associated company and you can then choose all contacts that meet the criteria of the filter and change the street address in bulk that way.

Your other option is to upload a CSV file, but depending on the number of contacts we're talking here, I'd probably go the filter route.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15
WStandard

SOLVE

It's a work-around...I hope it helps...

You can edit the columns from your contact view and add the Email Domain column. This column is fully sortable alphabetically and will sort your contacts by the company since it is sorting the company, aka domain name.

0 Upvotes
CCL123
Participant

SOLVE

We manage big lists of companies that have 3-4 strategic contacts. It makes it extremely difficult to manage lists and assign to sequences if I cant see them in alphabetical order by company. Alphabetical sort by person doesn't do anything. The relationship between contact and company is really critical and I am surprised Hubspot hasn't recognized that by designing lists to be more useful.

cobaltprofessor

SOLVE

If you have a Contact List, what worked for me is to remove "Associations > Company (Primary)", and instead use "Contact Information > Company Name".

I think why this is necessary is because a Contact's Associations is more of a 1-to-many relationship so sorting is not enabled. But a Contact may only have one Company Name in their Contact Info, which (for me) enabled sorting, just as expected.

0 Upvotes
CPeck414
Participant

SOLVE

Agreed. This is infuriating and makes it so complicated for me to do outreach since we often are in contact with multiple contacts from the same company. Please add this feature. It's literally the only item in the filter views I use that is not sortable. 

GMcKennee
Participant

SOLVE

First major issue I've seen yet. I've been raving about how it is so much more user friendly than SalesForce. Can't believe more firms don't use HubSpot. I get it now. SFDC is the industry standard for a reason. Can't believe I'm even searching how to sort by company name! 

CPeck414
Participant

SOLVE
I found out that if I fill in the Company field in the contact record, I
can sort by that. There was an article on how to create an automation to
add that, so that's what I ended up doing. A little redundant, but it
works.
GMcKennee
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks man for making sure I was aware of that man.  I saw there was a work around to get the job done, but it's a very basic process that shouldn't need a workaround! 

I actually booked a meeting with Josh on Friday, hopefully I can make a difference in the world ; )

0 Upvotes
rjenkinsjmu

SOLVE

How come we can sort contacts by essentially any attribute besides Primary Company? This seems like a very basic function that should be in place and would save me a lot of time. Please fix this.

DCorcoran3
Participant

SOLVE

I would like to upvote prioritizing adding this basic functionality (sort contacts alphabetically by associated company) . It's a fairly important view and should be available.

JDLee
Participant

SOLVE

Agreed, not sure why it would be hard to make the 'Associated Company' sortable. 

DavidKubovsky
Participant

SOLVE

Great question! In this case you could add the column "Company Name" to your view and then sort based on that information – Create, customize, and manage your saved views
feel free to check out HubSpot's default contact properties to see which further columns you can add and sort by, or filter.

Sorting based on Company Name was also suggested here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/CRM/Sorting-contacts-by-Associated-Company-is-not-working/m-p/12888...

0 Upvotes
sarahbroderick
Participant

SOLVE

Hi David - Appreciate your input on this, however what you've suggested doesn't address the existing problem with Associated Company not being a sortable property. As Associated Company is a property populated by Hubspot automatically based on the company URL, it's the property I'd Iike to use for sorting. The alternative suggested with Company Name creates work as the property that needs to be either populated manually or by using a workflow to populate - sadly the workflow doesn't always work (we've implemented it and the fail rate is about 30-35%) and I then have to audit regularly. It's a work-around, but not the solid fix that sorting by Associated Company would provide.

Appreciate the effort - however, if you work at HubSpot, please advise this still is not Resolved and many clients would like the functionality. Cheers! 

sarahbroderick
Participant

SOLVE

This is quite puzzling - and not Solved...

This is causing massive FRICTION for our team's processes. I've been able to do this functionality in other CRMs and feels like a let down not to be able to in HubSpot as I really like the system.

Please, Please, Please address this functionality - particularly with so many posts and people supporting this ask. 

Please 🙂

Josh
Solution

SOLVE
Spoiler
Hi @reasonover,

The best case scenario here would be to add a filter for associated company and you can then choose all contacts that meet the criteria of the filter and change the street address in bulk that way.

Your other option is to upload a CSV file, but depending on the number of contacts we're talking here, I'd probably go the filter route.

Josh

Did this post help solve your problem? If so, please mark it as a solution.

Josh Curcio

HubSpot support and inbound marketing for OEMs, contract manufacturers, and industrial suppliers.
HubSpot Platinum Partner & HubSpot Certified Trainer

TEhr
Participant

SOLVE

@sarahbroderick @Josh  Is sorting contacts in hubspot possible by now? I need to fix the correct person at the top of the contact list! 🙂