CRM

Participant

Deals sold in stages over time

SOLVE

We are a design / architectural practice. We have projects (Deals) that are delivered in stages. Let's assume there are 3 stages of design work to a Deal. Right now we are having to create a separate Deal for each stage, which is causing an admin burden and wastes time. We need to have all stages under a Deal, be able to assign a revenue value to each stage, and have each stage have its own timing, with the total value of all stages summing to the total deal value. Does anyone know how to achieve this?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
sferreira
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @2875292 , 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I don't understand why Alternative 2, having a project per pipeline would not work? 

Explanation: 

• having a project per pipeline would still allow you to gather total X value for each project 
    • Pipeline 1 = Fee Stage 1 = £10K
    • Pipeline 2 = Fee Stage 2 = £15K
    • Pipeline 3 = Fee Stage 3 = £5K
  • with a deal-based workflow, you could have the same deal (no need to create multiple deals) traveling from one pipeline to the other, as soon as it has reached the end of a fee stage. 
  • As a result, you only create one deal, which travels from one pipeline to the other thanks to automation, still being able to report on the overall deal amount £ with custom reports

Visual representation of my solution: 

deal based workflow.png

These articles would also help you understand my alternative: 

How to Use Deal Automation to Remove Friction From the Sales Process

Set up and customize your deal pipelines and deal stages

Let me know if this helps?

Best, 

Sebastian 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
sferreira
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @2875292

Thanks for reaching out! 

There are probably different ways to approach this but let me illustrate 2 alternatives. 

Alternative 1:

You can have one pipeline as a "Main Project", where each deal stage = project

You could then customize your deal stages so: 

Deal stage 1 = Project A
Deal stage 2 = Project B
Deal stage 3 = Project C

The downside, let's imagine that I have Project A, B, C. This would mean that would have to successfully go through all of these projects to reach C. 

Here's a visual representation on my own portal: 

one main project.png

Alternative 2:

With a Sales Pro Subscription, you can have multiple pipelines. Each pipeline = project

For one single/unique deal, you can travel from pipeline A = project A, and then move to pipeline B = project B for example. 

Here's a visual representation on my own portal: 

multiple pipelines.png

Happy to hear your feedback about this, to see which scenario would fit best. 

Best, 

Sebastian

0 Upvotes
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Sebastian,

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, neither of the approaches suggested work. We have set up 9 Deal Stages (from Unqualified to Deal Won) each with a probability. That's fine because it applies to the Deal as a whole. However, for us a Deal may be made up of several discreet work packages and each of these has a value and a Close and Invoice date.

Let's say, for example, "Deal ABC" is for a architectural services for a building project. Deal ABC will see work done in 3 phases. The first phase (Fee Stage 1) is for £10K and starts in Jan and ends in March. Fee Stage 2 is for £15K and start in April and ends in June, and Fee Stage 3 is for £5K and will happen in September. The Deal has a total Deal of £20K, but the timing of that revenue is broken out over different time periods.

The probability of winning or not winning, and the progression of Deal ABC through its Deal Stages is not the issue. We don't want to have to create a separate Deal for each of "Deal ABC. - Fee Stage 1", "Deal ABC - Fee Stage 2", and "Deal ABC - Fee Stage 3". We want the Fee Stages to be "children" of the Deal ABC parent, each with their own timing and value that sum to the Deal Amount for Deal ABC.

Pretty much every design or architectural practice in the world will work this way so it won't just be us that's having to work around the issue at the moment.

Is that clearer?

0 Upvotes
sferreira
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @2875292 , 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I don't understand why Alternative 2, having a project per pipeline would not work? 

Explanation: 

• having a project per pipeline would still allow you to gather total X value for each project 
    • Pipeline 1 = Fee Stage 1 = £10K
    • Pipeline 2 = Fee Stage 2 = £15K
    • Pipeline 3 = Fee Stage 3 = £5K
  • with a deal-based workflow, you could have the same deal (no need to create multiple deals) traveling from one pipeline to the other, as soon as it has reached the end of a fee stage. 
  • As a result, you only create one deal, which travels from one pipeline to the other thanks to automation, still being able to report on the overall deal amount £ with custom reports

Visual representation of my solution: 

deal based workflow.png

These articles would also help you understand my alternative: 

How to Use Deal Automation to Remove Friction From the Sales Process

Set up and customize your deal pipelines and deal stages

Let me know if this helps?

Best, 

Sebastian 

Participant

SOLVE

Hi Sebastian,

You know what, you're absolutely right. I think that using workflows like this could work. If it does it's genius 🙂

I'm sorry it didn't register with me when you first explained it but your second explanation is much clearer. I'm going to share that with my team and see if we can make this happen.

Thank you so much. Very professional and efficient assistance!

Best, J

sferreira
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Happy to help @2875292 ! 

Don't hesitate to share your experience once you've implemented the workflow. 

Happy Friday, 

Sebastian 

aragon023
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @2875292 I'm part of the CS team here in HubSpot. Thanks for your post and I hope you are keeping well. If you could clarify what you mean with you're having to "create a deal for each stage. " Is it that you currently have separate pipelines and manage each one as a design stage or do you have one pipeline where you have different stages? Normally, in this case, you could manage deals within the same pipeline, and have for each deal stage the name of the design stage, that you need, plus any other additional stages. That way you only have to create one deal and the reporting would be easier. Let me know if you have any further comments. 

Thanks

0 Upvotes