Ads

TwanV
Participant

How do I view traffic/contacts generated by Microsoft Ads in Hubspot?

SOLVE

We are currently running a test campaign to see if Microsoft Ads could be valuable to our business. I have already read other posts explaining that there is no current integration with Bing Ads in Hubspot. However, in order to evaluate the effectiveness at all, is there any way to recognize which contacts were generated by Microsoft Ads? Or recognize traffc from this source? I have conversion tracking set up in Google Tag Manager but this is not fool proof.

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @TwanV,

Are your Bing ads appending utm parameters to your ad landing pages? Or are you making sure that these utm parameters are added? (overview post on utm codes here) HubSpot's attribution of contacts or revenue to certain marketing touchpoints is heavily revolving around these utm parameters.

HubSpot will automatically categorize these contacts into different Original source buckets. These bucketing rules are explained here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/reports/understand-hubspots-traffic-sources-in-the-traffic-analytics-t...

For example, if the utm source parameter conains "ppc" or "cpc" it would receive the value "Paid search" in the Original source contact property. The Original source drill-down 1 property will include the paid campaign name, the Original source drill-down 2 property the search term (if available), see here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/understand-source-properties

In other words, if you want to identify these contacts generated by Bing ads in your HubSpot portal, your campaign name utm parameter needs to include a reference to Microsoft or Bing ads.

Once you've confirmed that this is working as expected, you can create reports based on these properties, for example a custom contact report, filtering for contacts whose Original source drill-down 1 contains "bing". There wouldn't be an out of the box report here, so let me know if you need further assistance in creating such a report and what visualization you'd expecting to see.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Gercek
Participant

SOLVE

Any timeline on the Microsoft Ads integration like Google Ads?

0 Upvotes
HSexpt
Participant

SOLVE

We have been asking since 2017 for an integration or anything mildly similar to what we have to Google ads. 

SDavisII

SOLVE

Are there any plans to develop an integration with Microsoft Ads and HubSpot?  Google Ads has tons of shared features with Microsoft Ads but currently there is no integration between the two.

TwanV
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for the quick response Karsten,

I just realized UTM tag features are not automatically turned on for Microsoft Ads :'). This will probably solve the issue indeed. I had already tried generating my own Hubspot UTM links and adding them to each landing page link but this was tedious and also changes the preview of the link in the advertisement which was also undesirable. 

Thanks for your help! Should be able to work out a report if the utm data is included.

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @TwanV,

Are your Bing ads appending utm parameters to your ad landing pages? Or are you making sure that these utm parameters are added? (overview post on utm codes here) HubSpot's attribution of contacts or revenue to certain marketing touchpoints is heavily revolving around these utm parameters.

HubSpot will automatically categorize these contacts into different Original source buckets. These bucketing rules are explained here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/reports/understand-hubspots-traffic-sources-in-the-traffic-analytics-t...

For example, if the utm source parameter conains "ppc" or "cpc" it would receive the value "Paid search" in the Original source contact property. The Original source drill-down 1 property will include the paid campaign name, the Original source drill-down 2 property the search term (if available), see here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/contacts/understand-source-properties

In other words, if you want to identify these contacts generated by Bing ads in your HubSpot portal, your campaign name utm parameter needs to include a reference to Microsoft or Bing ads.

Once you've confirmed that this is working as expected, you can create reports based on these properties, for example a custom contact report, filtering for contacts whose Original source drill-down 1 contains "bing". There wouldn't be an out of the box report here, so let me know if you need further assistance in creating such a report and what visualization you'd expecting to see.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

egsanchez1
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler and @TwanV !

Re-opening this in case you can help. I'm having an issue tracking Microsoft Ads contacts (and therefore, revenue).

Two scenarios here:

• #1: A contact clicks on a Microsoft Ad and land in my homepage. Browse the site. And then submit a form in my "Request a demo" page.
  • #2: A contact clicks on the Microsoft Ad, land in my "Request a demo" page and submit a form there —without browsing—.

In both cases the UTM addended is as follow: 

landing-url?utm_term={keyword}&utm_campaign={keyword}&utm_source=ppc&utm_medium=bing&msclkid=XXXXX

The scenario #1 got the following "Original Source" related properties (both cases, clicking in the ad is the first touch with the brand):

• Original Source: Organic Search
  • Drill down 1: Unkown URL (SSL)
  • Drill down 2: BING

While in the #2 I got:

• Original Source: Paid Search
  • Drill down 1: Campaign name
  • Drill down 2: Keyword

How can I solve this so scenario #1 and #2 got the following (my desired result):

• Original Source: Paid Search
  • Drill down 1: Campaign name
  • Drill down 2: BING

Thanks a lot folks!

MRatcliffe
Participant

SOLVE

Hello! Reading this thread your comment described my scenario also. Did you ever find a fix? 

Thanks