Account & Settings

CoachRWRWalker

How to stop tracking my own post opening

Hubspot tracks when I open my own sent mail which gives a false reading on tracked openings

What's the workaround please?

Many thanks

0 Upvotes
14 Replies 14
CoachRWRWalker

I followed the instructions, which I can no longer find, for blocking my IP address. Now as soon as I send the email it says it has been opened

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

Could you elaborate more on which exact instruction you're referring to, which steps you took, what was working and what is not working right now?

0 Upvotes
CoachRWRWalker

I've not been able to find the link to the page for the written instructions for excluding my IP address. I'm afraid I don't recall the instructions precisely but I'm fairly sure that I followed them exactly.

When I started using Hubspot the opened notifications seemed to work fine. Then it began to give me self opened notifications when I clicked on the email to review it. When I followed the process to exclude my IP address it seemed to start to work intermittently. Now every time I send an email it says it has been opened as soon as I send it.

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

I see, thank you for sharing that.

Is this the document you're looking for? Manage your HubSpot Sales extension settings- Blokced IP addresses

0 Upvotes
CoachRWRWalker

Thank you yes turns out each of these webpages gives me a different IP address http://whatismyip.com & http://ip4.me/.. 1 gives me 2 IP addresses and the other one gives me a third. I omitted to enter the 3rd IP address. I've done that now so let's see what happens

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @CoachRWRWalker,

This is actually something different than email logging, the information provided is not correct. Logging refers to emails sent to specific recipients. Emails sent to addresses or domains on this list will not create a new contact record, record email tracking activity on the contact's timeline, or be logged to the record. However this has nothing to do with HubSpot noticing your email.

Self-open notifications can only be blocked with the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in or Chrome extension.When you open a tracked email that you sent from your Outlook or Gmail inbox, you may trigger an instant open notification from HubSpot Sales. If you want to block these notifications, make sure you're using the most up-to-date version of the extension or add-in and that you've configured your browser to support notifications, more information here.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

CoachRWRWalker

It's when I opened the email in Outlook that I get an opened notification
0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @CoachRWRWalker,

In that case, you'd have to install the HubSpot Sales add-in for Outlook.

@natsumimori, looks like this thread was closed a bit early, could you double-check?

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
natsumimori
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @CoachRWRWalker and @karstenkoehler , thank you for the mention!

I agree with what Karsten explained here, you will want to follow the steps outlined in this article to block "self-open notifications": Block self-open email notifications with the HubSpot Sales Outlook desktop add-in or Chrome extensio...

For a bit of context, HubSpot Sales is able to track email opens by embedding an invisible one pixel image into your tracked email message. When the emails is opened, the image fires, triggering an open notification. An open notification will fire anytime the tracking image loads, including if that person firing the image is you. Here's a document for your reference: Understand HubSpot Sales email open and click tracking

I hope this clarifies and thank you Karsten for the headsup😃

CoachRWRWalker

I'd already done this and wasn't making a difference. So I tried blocking my IP address. Now I get no opened notifications from anyone

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hi @CoachRWRWalker,

Could you specify what exactly you did? Which add-on did you install?

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
CoachRWRWalker

Nothing worked and then Outlook started changing my appointments to meetings so I had to uninstall Hubspot completely.

0 Upvotes
CoachRWRWalker

It worked once just now. Maybe it is intermittent. Let's see what happens tomorrow

webdew
Guide | Diamond Partner
Guide | Diamond Partner

Hi @CoachRWRWalker ,

You can add your email in the never log list in HubSpot. check this article here.

Hope this helps!
If we were able to answer your query, kindly help the community by marking it as a solution.
Thanks and Regard.

0 Upvotes