Welcome and Introductions

AlexisRiesberg
Participant

Hello! I'm an aspiring digital media marketer and in my third year at college. Any Advice?

SOLVE

I applied to over 70 internships this past spring for the summer. I had four interviews and made it to the second round process in all of them, even the fourth round in some. I need up not getting any offers. While some people stop after getting rejection after rejection, I decided to use this time and get certifications and create my own "internship" to learn. I've been taking courses on HubSpot and using what I am learning on my Instagram, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. Does anyone have advice they'd be willing to share on what else I should do to get in the digital marketing industry?

Thanks in advance!!

0 Upvotes
2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

Hello! I'm an aspiring digital media marketer and in my third year at college. Any Advice?

SOLVE

Hi @AlexisRiesberg,

Welcome to the community! Skilling up and completing certifications is a great way to boost your CV. The HubSpot Academy is offering tons of certifications which will sharpen your understanding of marketing but will also look great on your LinkedIn. Looking past HubSpot, you can also consider specializing. For example, if you interested in paid advertising, you could look at Google Ads certifications and LinkedIn Marketing Labs training. If you could see yourself code, Codecademy will make yourself a valued resource if you can bring frontend or backend development to the table.

As generic as this blog post sounds, it also offers some great tips: 10 Tips to Help You Land Your First Marketing Job

@ConnorSlivensky recently published a blog post on how his activity in the HubSpot community landed him a job, you might find that read interesting.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

ConnorSlivensky
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Thanks for the shoutout @karstenkoehler!

Hey @AlexisRiesberg I was in a similar position to you very recently. As Karsten said I wrote a blog going over my efforts but essentially my advice would be to use the Academy to get a base  (focus on Software/Hub Certs and Inbound courses first) while you keep an eye on the Community. I found the Community very helpful in helping me learn/problem-solve for products I didn't have access to (my first job only used Marketing Pro). As you contribute more you'll to only gain expertise in other Hubs/areas but also start to be recognized around the community and build up a profile.

I leveraged my community profile as a sort of portfolio to showcase my thought process to employers. And of course, we have wonderful moderators that try to keep people involved.

More generally I'd google the "T Shaped Marketer" framework to help structure your development.  It's pretty intuitive but made a big difference for me.

Welcome and feel free to reach out if you need anything.

5 Replies 5
ConnorSlivensky

SOLVE

Thanks for the shoutout @karstenkoehler!

Hey @AlexisRiesberg I was in a similar position to you very recently. As Karsten said I wrote a blog going over my efforts but essentially my advice would be to use the Academy to get a base  (focus on Software/Hub Certs and Inbound courses first) while you keep an eye on the Community. I found the Community very helpful in helping me learn/problem-solve for products I didn't have access to (my first job only used Marketing Pro). As you contribute more you'll to only gain expertise in other Hubs/areas but also start to be recognized around the community and build up a profile.

I leveraged my community profile as a sort of portfolio to showcase my thought process to employers. And of course, we have wonderful moderators that try to keep people involved.

More generally I'd google the "T Shaped Marketer" framework to help structure your development.  It's pretty intuitive but made a big difference for me.

Welcome and feel free to reach out if you need anything.

AlexisRiesberg
Participant

SOLVE
Hey @ConnorSlivensky

Thanks for the insight! I understand the importance of the Community and will for sure continue to use it.

I also searched for the “T Shaped Marketer” and those ideas are exactly where my mind was thinking on where I want to really focus. I’m still in the process of figuring out what ones I feel most called to but these courses on HubSpot Academy will help with that for sure!

Thanks again for the information!

Alexis Riesberg
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @AlexisRiesberg,

Welcome to the community! Skilling up and completing certifications is a great way to boost your CV. The HubSpot Academy is offering tons of certifications which will sharpen your understanding of marketing but will also look great on your LinkedIn. Looking past HubSpot, you can also consider specializing. For example, if you interested in paid advertising, you could look at Google Ads certifications and LinkedIn Marketing Labs training. If you could see yourself code, Codecademy will make yourself a valued resource if you can bring frontend or backend development to the table.

As generic as this blog post sounds, it also offers some great tips: 10 Tips to Help You Land Your First Marketing Job

@ConnorSlivensky recently published a blog post on how his activity in the HubSpot community landed him a job, you might find that read interesting.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

AlexisRiesberg
Participant

SOLVE
Thanks so much @karstenkoehler for all the great advice!

Those links will definitely help me in my journey! I’ve considered going in depth on some certifications, but wanted to take some of HubSpot’a courses to see where I feel most called.

Thanks again for all the great insight!

Alexis Riesberg
0 Upvotes
BFitton
Participant

SOLVE

Hi, I would strong advise sharing articles on your Linkedin showing you are really interested in the subject.  Share best practice and show that you are learning all the time.  Employers want people who see the potential of digital for their businesses and you can provide a fresh pair of eyes - critique websites - share best practice social, point out brands that are really good at this and say why...

0 Upvotes