Tips, Tricks & Best Practices

Laurels

compulsory fields empty when creating contact from an email

SOLVE

Hi,

sometimes we send emails to clients who are not in Hubspot yet. After the email, most of the information will get automatically populated. However, there are some important information missing (for example country), which are mandatory when creating a new contact directly from Hubspot. Do you have a solution for this? We have a lot of contacts now missing compulsory fields.
Best
Laura

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Laurels,

If you're creating contacts automatically from sent emails, it's not possible to enforce required fields right in that moment.

However, you could do a few things in HubSpot to stay on top of backfilling these contacts with required information:

• Create a filtered view on the contact index page (Menu > Contacts > Contacts) that filters by contact owner (= "Me") and by contacts where one of the required fields is missing – to be regularly reviewed by each HubSpot user. https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/create-customize-and-manage-your-saved-views
  • Create a workflow that enrolls contacts where a required field is not populated (e.g. First name is unknown OR Last name is unknown OR ...), then delay for 1 hour, then send an internal email notification to the Contact owner to review the missing information. (In the workflow settings, make sure to enable the setting to unenroll contacts when they don't meet the criteria anymore. This means that emails aren't triggered immediately but users have one hour before they're reminded. If they fill in the information on their own until then, they won't be reminded.)

Let me know if you need more detail or have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Laurels,

If you're creating contacts automatically from sent emails, it's not possible to enforce required fields right in that moment.

However, you could do a few things in HubSpot to stay on top of backfilling these contacts with required information:

• Create a filtered view on the contact index page (Menu > Contacts > Contacts) that filters by contact owner (= "Me") and by contacts where one of the required fields is missing – to be regularly reviewed by each HubSpot user. https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/create-customize-and-manage-your-saved-views
  • Create a workflow that enrolls contacts where a required field is not populated (e.g. First name is unknown OR Last name is unknown OR ...), then delay for 1 hour, then send an internal email notification to the Contact owner to review the missing information. (In the workflow settings, make sure to enable the setting to unenroll contacts when they don't meet the criteria anymore. This means that emails aren't triggered immediately but users have one hour before they're reminded. If they fill in the information on their own until then, they won't be reminded.)

Let me know if you need more detail or have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Laurels

SOLVE

Dear Karsten,
many thanks for your super quick answer. I created the workflow and we are going to test it. We already have filtered lists for this but I like the automation idea too.
Have a great day,

0 Upvotes